Letting all players design their own custom classes

kenjib

First Post
The "what classes do you allow" thread started me thinking. I don't see why one wouldn't much allow pretty much anything as long as it fits the campaign setting and is balanced. Taking this one step further, has anyone tried freely letting players make their own classes? How did it work for you?

Why bother with multiclassing to get the character you want when you can just create a new class that better fits the archetype you have in mind?

The ranger is a good starting point for this discussion perhaps. I know many people let their players change the ranger class, like letting them switch out ambi/twf for rapid shot, for example. The perennial rogue/fighter combo is another example. It is such a common class combination, so why not just create a new class that is a hybrid of rogue and fighter to fill this apparent vacancy in the class archetypes?

This is also built into the rules in the DMG. There is a section on being flexible with the classes and working with players to change them as needed to fit a character concept. Has anyone done this to the point where almost every player is, effectively, a unique class that they have designed for their character? Of course they would be subject to DM fine tuning for balance...

I think I really like this idea in concept and wonder how it would work out in practice.

Crothian

First Post
I have no problem and have done this. Allowing the PCs to create the perfect class for their character concept is great fun and really allows them to fully flesh out their character.

Fenes 2

First Post
I pretty much allow the players to build their own prestige classes, with my input. For normal classes so far the available classes from the PHB were enough.

hong

WotC's bitch
My last three PCs in Geoff Watson's campaign have all been based on my own custom class. :)

Hong "munchkin, and proud of it" Ooi

s/LaSH

First Post
Hmyeah, I've never gone custom class - never saw the need. Either you build a character with a few 'bricks' of various core classes, or you go classless (for which I've designed my own system, but I've been so noisy about that recently I'd be surprised if you didn't know that).

That said, I'm trying to make it vaguely D&D compatible, so it might even be possible to convert back into custom core class characters. Cool, check coincidental character choice. Lotta c's, only the last lot on purpose. Me tired now.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
When I do 'classless' I:
Give everyone 10 feats HD6 an 4(6+1nt) Skill points One Save +2
The Feats are used to customise the characters (on the basis that the level 1 Class Abilities are Feats) Toughness Stacks +2 per feat (and the Training Feat gives +1d4 Skill popints.

eg

Bob the Bard
HP 6 Skills 24

1 Simple Weapons
2 Light Armour
3 Medium Armour
4 Shields
5 Spellcasting (Basic Adept Table)**
6 Bardic Music
7 Bardic Knowledge
8 Extra Save
9 Bonus Feat (Racial*)
10 Bonus Feat

*Racial Bonus Feat is used to take a non-Human race (ie a Non-Human Race is also considered a Feat:)) Humans use this as a straight Bonus Feat
** Other Feats can be used to gain additional Spell Slots (Spells are refered to as 'Feats of Magic' in the core rules

psychognome

First Post
Tonguez said:
When I do 'classless' I:
Give everyone 10 feats HD6 an 4(6+1nt) Skill points One Save +2
The Feats are used to customise the characters (on the basis that the level 1 Class Abilities are Feats) Toughness Stacks +2 per feat (and the Training Feat gives +1d4 Skill popints.

eg

Bob the Bard
HP 6 Skills 24

1 Simple Weapons
2 Light Armour
3 Medium Armour
4 Shields
5 Spellcasting (Basic Adept Table)**
6 Bardic Music
7 Bardic Knowledge
8 Extra Save
9 Bonus Feat (Racial*)
10 Bonus Feat

*Racial Bonus Feat is used to take a non-Human race (ie a Non-Human Race is also considered a Feat:)) Humans use this as a straight Bonus Feat
** Other Feats can be used to gain additional Spell Slots (Spells are refered to as 'Feats of Magic' in the core rules

That seems to be a good system. Might even use it myself. :D

Dr. NRG

First Post
Quote-Why bother with multiclassing to get the character you want when you can just create a new class that better fits the archetype you have in mind?

Two basic reasons. Munch...err, people who may abuse the rules, and playtesting. If game balance issues or relative power issues arise in your game often, or if you run into trouble with players who work the system, this can be a recipe for disaster.

That said, I've done it before and it's worked. It all depends on the group dynamic.

NRG

Remove ads