• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Level 1 Character in 1v1 duel with standard Orc: Who do you bring?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
What Level 1 Character stands the best chance of defeating a level 1 Orc.

You will be in a 30ft radius arena (60ft diameter). You will start 20ft apart. If you leave the arena you lose.

What level 1 character do you bring?

Saint_Ridley

Villager
Two options spring to mind, though I'm sure others will have other thoughts.

Vuman Wizard with Alert, cast sleep. Win via countout.

Alternately, a Vuman Barbarian archer with Defensive Duelist, all points in Dex and Con. Once the Orc closes to melee, drop the bow, rage, and pull a shield and scimitar (use that Dex and don't worry about no rage damage).

Alatar

First Post
Variant human fighter
16 Str, 16 Con, 14 Dex
heavy armor, longsword, shield
duelist fighting style
heavy armor master feat
Languages: common, orc

The orc has a +2 hit point edge.
I have a +5 AC edge.
Our attack bonuses are identical.
We do the same average damage.
I hit on a natural 8, 65% of the time. The orc hits on a 13, 40% of the time. The basic formula of 5e D&D.
His hit has more swing, but I get to deduct 3 hit points from each blow that he lands.
I have a 5% edge on the Initiative roll.
I have a second wind.

I like the odds. It's not really a fair fight, as I will explain to him while we dance. But he can drop me with a crit, so I won't taunt him.

S'mon

Legend
Human Barbarian with glaive & Polearm Master so I get the first attack as he closes to melee even if I lose init. And if I win init I can rage, attack from 10', step back to 15', & get free attack as he closes in.
After round 1 I get 2 attacks/round thanks to the bonus attack and should put him down well before he gets through my doubled hp. The orc is only likely to win if he can win init, then crit on first attack and put me to 0 hp before I can rage. That would defeat any other PC also and the Barbarian with around 14hp has the best chance of surviving the 2d12+3 damage. And any other PC can be defeated by a crit at any time whereas the Barb is only vulnerable pre-Rage.

Last edited:

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
A level 1 Mother Orc.

''Kraaaaaktar the Destroyer! What are you doing here? Have you tidied your lair? Is that an AXE Kracktar? Oh! Right Mister, you are coming home with me THIS instant!''

Game over orc. With no dinner or blood sports for a week.

(Failing that, a bard disguised as said orc's mother.)

Last edited:

Remove ads