• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Level 1 Character in 1v1 duel with standard Orc: Who do you bring?

G

Guest 6801328

VHuman Fighter, Defensive Style, Shield Master (assuming DM doesn't disallow Shove before your own attack).

You know, this is a simple enough scenario that it should be easy to sim. I'll try to write something bare bones this week and post the URL. Run it 1,000 times and see what % you win.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
My personal pick would be:

Half-Orc Barbarian (16 str, 14 dex, 16 con)

Using starting equipment I would use a greatsword. However, I would prefer to use a longsword and a shield.

15hp, 1d8+5 damage (while raging), +5 attack bonus, 17 AC (assuming no armor), +2 initiative.

FrogReaver

I am also very interested in what a human barbarian could do with the Martial Adept Feat. Though I'm not convinced it's better than the half-orc variant.

Other Interesting Options:
Lucky (makes you hit better, makes them hit less often)
Great Weapon Master for the (-5 +10)
Martial Adept (as mentioned above)
Savage Attacker
War Cleric (Bonus Action extra attacks and divine favor)

Last edited:

FrogReaver

Human Light Cleric using lucky, warding flare and inflict wounds with a shield.

you are slightly squishy having only 10 hp. So your goal is to not be hit.

When the Orc first attacks you, use warding flare and lucky and you choose the lowest of 3d20. He will have about a 6% chance to hit you and next to no chance to crit you.

Then use the next lucky dice when you attack with inflict wounds (3d10 with a 60% chance of hitting which becomes 84% chance with lucky). The average damage is 16.5 which means you also have 64.8% chance to deal fatal damage (according to AnyDice). On the first turn you have a 54.4% chance of killing the orc.

Anyways, I don't think the rest of the details need filled in.

Last edited:

Corwin

Explorer
Probably a variant human wizard with the alert feat and a high dexterity. Know the shield spell just in case it manages to go first, so you have a better chance of surviving its opening attack. Either way the sleep spell has a great chance to win you the fight if you can cast it. You need average only 3s on your 5d8 to render it unconscious.

FrogReaver

Probably a variant human wizard with the alert feat and a high dexterity. Know the shield spell just in case it manages to go first, so you have a better chance of surviving its opening attack. Either way the sleep spell has a great chance to win you the fight if you can cast it. You need average only 3s on your 5d8 to render it unconscious.

I like sleep, but sleep doesn't win the fight it just makes the Orc unconscious for a bit. I'm not sure how the wizard kills the Orc after it's unconscious. Pick up it's great axe and swing in hope of a deadly crit? But if you don't kill it with that attack and it gets up you have a very high chance of dying from there it would seem.

auburn2

Adventurer
Any bard, sorcerer, wizard or warlock with high dex for initiative and high casting ability for high DC

Win initiative, cast charm person, then ask him to go get you a bite from the hot dog stand right outside the arena ...... he leaves the arena and I win.

You could also go with a cleric and command "flee"

Last edited:

Corwin

Explorer
I like sleep, but sleep doesn't win the fight it just makes the Orc unconscious for a bit. I'm not sure how the wizard kills the Orc after it's unconscious. Pick up it's great axe and swing in hope of a deadly crit? But if you don't kill it with that attack and it gets up you have a very high chance of dying from there it would seem.
You make sure you have a +1 Strength bonus and buy a maul with your starting 10gp. You walk up, swing with advantage, and your +1 to hit. Your odds aren't all that terrible, really. Average damage if you hit is 15 (the orc's hit points) thanks to auto critting on a hit.

Remove ads