Level 20 Capstone Abilities

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
So in another thread I engaged in a discussion with another poster about the fighter's capstone ability. Personally, I feel like the capstone abilities should be unique, fun, and most of all, powerful. However, I feel like some of the level 20 abilities granted by a class does not live up to these standards. Some are quite powerful (Hellooooo Archdruid!), while other are seriously lackluster (Super. I get one more inspiration. Yipee). Personally, I feel like capstone abilities should add new options to your character whenever possible. I also feel like they should be able to be used either at will, or at most recharge after a short rest. I don't know if I would necessarily stress balance with capstone abilities, at least not in regards to potential challenges you may encounter as a level 20 character. However, I would like a general feel of balance between the classes.

So here are some suggestions I have regarding improving the capstone abilities of each class. I would love to know everyone's thoughts. And if your interested about the changes I discussed regarding the fighter, you can check that out over here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?475253-Replacement-level-20-ability-for-Fighters

Barbarian
Overall, I like the level 20 Barbarian ability. It's simple, elegant, and really gets at what the class is about. Only thing I might add is this:

Primal Champion
At 20th level, you embody the power of the wilds. Your Strength and Constitution scores increase by 4. Your maximum for those scores is now 24. In addition, while raging, if something would normally deal piercing, bludgeoning, or slashing damage to you, you can use your reaction to ignore it and to no damage.

Bard
This one is so dumb. If you have run out of inspiration, you get to get one more. How is this considered worthy of a level 20 ability? Especially in comparison to something like Signature Spell or Archdruid? Here's how I would change it:

Superior Inspiration
Whenever you roll an inspiration die, you use 3d6 rather than a d12. In addition, when you roll initiative and have no uses of Bardic Inspiration left, you regain one use.

This way, it increase the die (if progression continues every 5 levels, it was due for a bump anyway), and it raises the die while increasing the minimum bonus you would gain from the inspiration (how much does it suck to roll that d12 and still pull a 1 or 2). Meanwhile, it keeps the ability to ensure the bard always has at least one for each encounter.

Cleric
Once every 7 days you can ask God for a favor, and he listens. This is the epitome of what a capstone ability should be.

Druid
Unlimited Wild Shapes, with each change giving you an effectively unlimited supply of temp HP... yea. This is also fine as is.

Fighter
See the thread I linked above to get a look at my thoughts on that one.

Monk
This one gets it pretty close. A monk should always be able to get access to his ki points. But similarly to the above Bard capstone ability, only getting 4 ki points for a battle if you are tapped is not going to get very far. A monk (from my stance) should be able to use many of their earlier abilities at will as they have trained to be a perfect martial arts machine. So, here is my suggested change:

Perfect Self
At 20th level, Flurry of Blows, Patient Defense, and Step of the Wind no longer cost Ki points to use. In addition, when you roll for initiative and have no ki points remaining, you regain 4 ki points.

This way their higher level Ki point abilities (Stunning Strike, Diamond Soul, ect) continue to rely on Ki, but the monk has better ability to manage some of these resources.

Paladin
I think the Paladin gets pretty close to the right idea. Each Oath gives something unique, and these abilities actually transform you into an aspect of the living embodiment of that Oath. It's really cool. However, as I mentioned previously, I feel a capstone ability should be available at least after a short rest, so I changed that. In addition, I rebalanced some of them as seen below:

Holy Nimbus
At 20th level, as an action, you can emanate an aura of sunlight. For 1 minute, bright light shines from you in a 30-foot radius, and dim light shines 30 feet beyond that.

Whenever an enemy creature starts its turn in the bright light, the creature takes 10 radiant damage. Fiends and undead within the bright light become vulnerable to radiant damage, even if they normally are not vulnerable.

In addition, for the duration, you have advantage on saving throws against spells cast by fiends or undead.

Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Elder Champion
At 20th level, you can assume the form of an ancient force of nature, taking on an appearance you choose. For example, your skin might turn green or take on a bark-like texture, your hair might become leafy or mosslike, or you might sprout antlers or a lion-like mane.

Using your action, you undergo a transformation. For 1 minute, you gain the following benefits:
  • At the start of each of your turns, you regain 10 hit points.
  • Whenever you cast a paladin spell that has a casting time of 1 action, you can cast it using a bonus action instead.
  • Enemy creatures within 10 feet of you have disadvantage on saving throws against your paladin spells and Channel Divinity options.

Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Avenging Angel
At 20th level, you can assume the form of an angelic avenger.

Using your action, you undergo a transformation. For 1 minute, you gain the following benefits:
  • Wings sprout from your back and grant you a flying speed of 60 feet.
  • Your menacing visage instills doubt and hesitation in your foes, while your divine sight allows you to hone in on their fear. Any enemy creature that can see you during a battle must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw before attacking you. If they fail the saving throw, their attack is made with disadvantage. In addition, if any creature has failed their saving throw against your aura of menace, your attacks against them are made with advantage.

Ranger
What a goddamn disappointment this ability is. Not only does it only apply to your favored enemy (which is supposed to be a ribbon ability! Why base a powerful capstone ability of a freaking ribbon?!?!) but in scale it is fairly weak. Also, it's a little boring, as it does not add anything new to the class, mostly just a mechanical bump. I still don't know quite how to address this one...

Any help you guys could provide would be nice!

EDIT: Here's one way I've been toying with adjusting foe slayer. Not sure how I feel about it exactly, though.

Foe Slayer
At 20th level, you become an unparalleled hunter of your enemies. You can add your Wisdom modifier to any weapon attack rolls and weapon damage rolls.

Rogue
Stroke of luck is nice. It ensures that nearly once per encounter, you'll get a guaranteed hit or skill check. But in light of the cleric and druid, I thought this could use a bump.

Stroke of Luck
At 20th level, you have an uncanny knack for succeeding when you need to. Once per short of long rest, if your attack misses a target within range, you can turn the miss into a hit.

In addition, once per short or long rest, you can maximize your sneak attack damage.

Finally, once per short or long rest, if you fail an ability check or saving throw, you can treat the d20 roll as a 20.

Sorcerer
This one seemed similar to the Bard and Monk in the lameness of the ability. I especially wanted a capstone sorcerer ability in the vein of Spell Mastery or Signature Spell. So this is what I got:

Limitless Font of Magic
At 20th level, whenever you begin your turn with 0 sorcery points, you immediately gain 3 sorcery points.

This way, the sorcerer will always have enough spell points to cast a 1st or 2nd level spell (and will always need to use their bonus action to do so). And they'll always have a little bit for some metamagic.

Warlock
This one perhaps pissed me off the most. Warlocks already regain their spell slots after a short rest. Making this ability take a whole minute means it would be useless in combat, and most situations when you can spend a minute regaining spells, you can also spend a short rest doing the same so the rest of the party can benefit. Also, they missed a great opportunity to do something similar to the Paladin, where the capstone is based on your particular patron. So here is my adjustment.

Aspect of the Archfey
You assume the form and some of the abilities of your patron. Using your action, you undergo a transformation. For one minute, you gain the following abilities:
  • As a bonus action, you can teleport up to 60 feet.
  • As a bonus action, you can turn invisible. This invisibility lasts until you attack, cast a spell, or your Aspect of the Archfey ability ends.
  • You gain advantage on saving throws against spells and resistance to spell damage.

Aspect of the Fiend
You assume the form and some of the abilities of your patron. Using your action, you undergo a transformation. For one minute, you gain the following abilities:
  • As an action, you can summon a Balgura or a Barbed Devil. These creatures act on their own initiative. You cannot command these fiends, but they will work to protect you and attack any creatures hostile to you. They will not directly attack your allies, but they are also not concerned with their safety or well-being. You can only summon one creature at a time using this ability. The fiend remains until it is reduced to 0 HP, your Aspect of the Fiend ability ends, or you are no longer in danger, after which they disappear.
  • The damage type selected for your Fiendish Resilience ability is treated as immunity rather than resistance, and this resistance is unaffected by magical weapons or silvered weapons.
  • Whenever you are damaged by an attack, you may use your reaction to swap places with your summoned fiend.

Aspect of the Great Old One
  • You exude an aura of madness that poisons the minds of your enemies. This aura extends in a radius 30 feet around you. Any enemies that begin their turn within this aura must succeed a Wisdom saving throw or be affected as by the confusion spell.
  • You may use your Entropic Ward ability once per round.
  • You do not take additional damage from critical hits. In addition, you are immune to psychic damage. Anytime a creature would deal you psychic damage, it is instead reflected back to the attacker.

Please let me know what you think? I really value feedback.

Last edited:

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I realize it's a little obnoxious to bump a thread (at least, that's how I feel about it), but I'm really curious regarding people's thoughts on this content. It may be that what I've developed is just not interesting, which is fine, but I just thought I'd give it one last try before it dies and sinks into the depths of the lost pages on Enworld.

ScuroNotte

Explorer
I think most of your changes are great.

Bard - I would simply Bard regains 1 inspiration die each turn he/she had none

Paladin - Elder Champion - Regeneration occurs when below half your maximum HP

Paladin - Avanging Angel - the creature has a save each turn. And when succeeds, no longer affected. Correct?

Ranger - is still lacking though. A lot

Rogue - Changing a miss to a hit doesn't fit the character IMHP. The rest is great

Warlock - Archfey - turning Invisible as a bonus action OP in my opinion. Many creatures can't see Invisible creatures.

Warlock - Fiend - When Swap damage, risk of fiend turning against you increase through each use. Makes sense as not controlled and will not like taking damage for you.

ScuroNotte

Explorer
For Ranger, saw an ok capstone. Add +2 to Constitution, Wisdom, and Strength or Dexterity. Max is 22 for said abilities. That combined with add Wisdom modifier to all attacks & damage

akr71

Hero
Here's how I tweaked the Ranger capstone ability. I don't think this is totally mine - I read a lot of other homebrew ranger fixes before coming up with this, so many that I can't properly give credit where credit is due.

Primal Master
At 20th level, you become an absolute master of your domain. While in your favored terrain, you gain resistance to all damage except slashing, piercing, or bludgeoning. Also, you may cast Hunter’s Mark at will when you are within your favored terrain.

Unfortunately, now that I look at it, it is still dependent on the ranger being in favored terrain (of which you will have only 3 by level 20). As a result you won't always be able to use the capstone. I will have to reconsider...

ScuroNotte

Explorer
Here's how I tweaked the Ranger capstone ability. I don't think this is totally mine - I read a lot of other homebrew ranger fixes before coming up with this, so many that I can't properly give credit where credit is due.

Primal Master
At 20th level, you become an absolute master of your domain. While in your favored terrain, you gain resistance to all damage except slashing, piercing, or bludgeoning. Also, you may cast Hunter’s Mark at will when you are within your favored terrain.

Unfortunately, now that I look at it, it is still dependent on the ranger being in favored terrain (of which you will have only 3 by level 20). As a result you won't always be able to use the capstone. I will have to reconsider...

Primal Master
Your ability to survive the forces of nature and living with creatures with innate magical abilities have strengthen your fortitude. You gain Resistance to Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning, Poison, and Thunder

BTW I tweaked the Ranger class into learning 4 terrains. Still doesn't help with abilities reliant on the terrain though

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I think most of your changes are great.

Thanks for the feedback! ^_^

Bard - I would simply Bard regains 1 inspiration die each turn he/she had none

I would be hesitant to do this. While it makes sense for me to do this with the sorcerer since it allows them more casting (their prime ability), the bard has many other abilities that do not so heavily rely on inspiration. I like them having some inspiration every encounter, but not an unlimited amount.

Paladin - Elder Champion - Regeneration occurs when below half your maximum HP.

I think giving them the benefit even when above half is fine, personally. The form only lasts a minute, so it won't heal between encounters, and it requires an action to activate (unlike the Champion's ability, which is passive and always on).

Paladin - Avanging Angel - the creature has a save each turn. And when succeeds, no longer affected. Correct?

Not quite. No save is required unless they try to attack the paladin that is using this ability. In this sense it is similar to a sanctuary effect. And if the creature has failed that saving throw, not only is that attack made with disadvantage, but the paladin's next attack against them is made with advantage. I realize the wording is poor and confusing, so I will work to adjust it and clarify.

Ranger - is still lacking though. A lot

Agreed.

Rogue - Changing a miss to a hit doesn't fit the character IMHP. The rest is great

Personally, I think it fits. It's like when a rogue (especially if you think master assassin) shoots a guy with an arrow, but it flies wild. The guy sees it and laughs. But then the rogue says, "Oh really?" and the arrow bounces off of seven different surfaces to hit the guy in the back.

Warlock - Archfey - turning Invisible as a bonus action OP in my opinion. Many creatures can't see Invisible creatures.

I would argue that at this level of play, many creatures can see Invisible creatures. And this is an invisibility spell, not greater invisibility, so it is more limited. Though it costs a bonus action to cast, it's not much different than a wizard selecting Invisibility as one of their spells from Spell Mastery.

Warlock - Fiend - When Swap damage, risk of fiend turning against you increase through each use. Makes sense as not controlled and will not like taking damage for you.

Note the wording of the ability. The effect takes place after the damage has been taken. So the warlock still takes the damage, they just swap with their fiend afterwards. This is more like if a melee fighter ran up and attacked the warlock. It allows the warlock to bail while putting his pet into better position to protect him, especially if the fiend is not within 5' of the warlock.

ScuroNotte

Explorer
I understand the logic and agree with the changes.
Though the Bard, the next logical progression would 1d14 if it existed. 3d6 is a larger jump and to me atleast a large bonus. What about 3d4 + 2?

Also for Ranger, how about not focusing on damage, but "survival". I borrowed your title, but changed the benefit.
Primal Master
Your ability to survive the forces of nature and living with creatures with innate magical abilities have strengthen your fortitude. You gain Resistance to Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning, Poison, and Thunder

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...r-Class-Would-love-input-please#ixzz3xwsTBZJz

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
My reasoning for picking that for the Bard was that in my mind it just seemed right. Dice increases in this addition seem to go more towards the next step up in dice, rather than in terms of any kind of mathematical formula. So 1d4 -> 1d6 -> 1d8 -> 1d10 -> 1d12 -> 1d20.

I didn't want to give a whole d20, and felt the randomness of rolling a twenty and still often getting the same bonus as rolling a d12 bothered me. So I went to 3d6. Increases the minimum bonus, is a higher ceiling than a d12, but still not so high as a d20.

As for the Ranger, your capstone seems fine. But from my perspective, a capstone ability should not be something that it passive, but allows you to do something greater than you could before. It builds off of something your class was already doing, but now you can do it even better.

ScuroNotte

Explorer
Thanks for the feedback! ^_^

I would be hesitant to do this. While it makes sense for me to do this with the sorcerer since it allows them more casting (their prime ability), the bard has many other abilities that do not so heavily rely on inspiration. I like them having some inspiration every encounter, but not an unlimited.

Bards Primary ability is Bardic due and spells. The only other combat ability they have is counter charm (base class)

I guess I don't see them having 1 Bardic die each turn if they don't have one as overpowering

Remove ads