D&D 5E Level 20 Dragon Fight design advice

Stalker0

Legend
I do plan on softening them up with regional effects. I need some stuff that will not only whittle away some hit points but also burn some spells.
Yeah always a good idea.

high level characters can beat up anything with hitpoints, so often the most effective pains are those without them! Lair effects, regional, etc etc are all great things because the party can't just "beat them up"

Enrico Poli1

Adventurer
4 20th Level PCs can easily take down an Ancient Red with Lair Actions, and you have 5 of them; giving the Dragon spellcasting isn't enough. I suggest using 2 Ancients; or maybe an Ancient with multiple and powerful allies of very high CR (Archmages, Liches etc)

Zardnaar

Legend
I would have an ally cast foresight on the dragon. Makes using great weapon master harder. Also some way to teleport even if short ranged.

Don't have it melee hit and fade with its breath weapon. Make its lair huge with terrain matterimg. Eg if it has a burrow speed use it

If it can swim in lava use it.

I had a blue dragon in it's lair fill most of it with sand and stash loot in various rooms under the sand including healing items.

Basically it could breath on the PCs and sod off waiting for its breath weapon to recharge.

dave2008

Legend
@Reynard, here are my standard ancient, wyrm, and great wyrm dragons. I did them a while ago and are bit complex IMO. Though they really try to take into account everything a high level group can throw at them:
However, I have been working on revised dragons recently and so I have made a simplified, but still effective, dragon for your adventure, see below. Also, I checked this dragon's CR thoroughly, but I don't remember if the old ones are 100% accurate. This is my first stab (of this design) and I am happy to modify as needed. I have included some design/encounter notes in red. Once I get your thoughts I can tweak as needed. I also plan to do an Ashardalon version that is a bit more powerful and with some interesting abilities. I will get that posted tomorrow. Let me know what you think! PS - when the design is finalized I am happy to make a PDF version for you.

1687998427519.png

HoD The Ylducian by AlectorFencer (w/ image manipulation by dave2008)

Ancient Red Dragon, Exarch of Tiamat (WIP)Challenge 26
Gargantuan mythic dragon, typically chaotic evil180,000 Mythic XP

Armor Class 24 (natural armor)
Hit Points 468 (24d20 + 216)
Speed 70 ft., climb 70 ft., fly 210 ft., swim 60 ft.

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
29 (+9)12 (+1)29 (+9)22 (+6)17 (+3)26 (+8)

Saving Throws Str +17, Dex +9, Con +17, Int +14, Wis +11, Cha +16
Skills Arcana +13, Athletics +17, Intimidation +16, Perception +19
Damage Resistances force, piercing, poison design note: piercing reducing range damage mostly, note this all piercing damage, not just nonmagical. This is to represent dragons hard scales being more difficult to penetrate from a distance.
Damage Immunities fire
Condition Immunities poisoned
Senses blindsight 90 ft., darkvision 180 ft., passive perception 29
Languages Common, Draconic, Giant, Ignan
Proficiency Bonus +8; Maneuver DC 25

Blessing of Tiamat (Mythic Trait, recharges after a Rest). If the dragon would be reduced to 0 hit points, its current hit point total instead resets to 400 hit points, it recharges all of its abilities, and it can use its Mythic Actions and the following traits for 1 hour.
  • Fire Aura. At the start of each of the dragon’s turns, each creature within 10 feet of it takes 14 (4d6) fire damage, and flammable objects in the aura that aren’t being worn or carried ignite. A creature that touches the dragon or hits it with a melee attack while within 5 feet of it takes 14 (4d6) fire damage. Design note: if you haven't hit the party with a lair action that removes resistance, you might want to ignore this trait. It might not be worth tracking the damage.
  • Scion of Fire. The dragon's Fire Breath deals an additional 70 fire damage and ignores resistance to fire damage and treats fire immunity as resistance instead. If a creature is reduced to 0 hit points by this effect, the creature immediately dies, and its body is reduced to ash. Design Note: This increase in fire damage is calculated to work with the reduced hit points with the mythic trait. If this is to much damage, then add another attack option in the dragon's mythic options.

Colossal. The dragon's space is 30 feet by 30 feet and it has advantage on saving throws against being physically pushed or knocked prone.

Dragon Fear. Each creature that starts its turn within 120 feet of the dragon must make a DC 24 Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is frightened of the dragon and cannot concentrate on spells or similar effects until the start of the creature’s next turn. If a creature’s saving throw is successful, the creature is immune to the Dragon Fear trait for the next 12 hours.

Ignite. When an area takes fire damage from the dragon’s Fire Breath it ignites, becoming engulfed in flames for 1 minute. The flames are 15 feet high, opaque, and cover the whole area. A creature takes 14 (4d6) fire damage when it enters or ends its turn within 5 feet of the area. Design Note: This gives the dragon some area control without using a spell.

ACTIONS
Multiattack.
The dragon makes two claw attacks. It can replace one of these attacks with a Fire Blast attack.
Design Note: The dragons actions (including legendary actions) are designed to emulate the classic claw/claw/bite (or spell or breathweapon) routine from 1e. So this dragon potentially makes fewer attacks per round, but they hit harder!

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +17 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 48 (6d12 + 9) magical piercing damage plus 13 (2d12) fire damage and, if the dragon wishes, the target must make a DC 25 Strength throw or be grappled. A Medium or smaller creature grappled this way is also restrained.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +17 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 36 (6d8 + 9) magical slashing damage and, if the dragon wishes, the target must make a DC 25 Strength saving throw or knocked prone or pushed 10 feet, the dragon's choice.

Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +17 to hit, reach 40 ft., one target. Hit: 42 (6d10 + 9) magical bludgeoning damage. If the target is a Large or smaller creature, it must succeed on a DC 25 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone and stunned until the end of the dragon’s next turn. Design note: this attack has a long reack and potential knocks a PC out with a temporary stun, helping with focus fire action economy.

Wing Attack. The dragon beats its wings. Each creature within 40 feet of the dragon must succeed on a DC 25 Strength saving throw, taking 24 (6d4 + 9) bludgeoning damage and be pushed 10 feet and knocked prone on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The dragon can then fly up to half its flying speed without provoking opportunity attacks. Design note: this allows the dragon to escape being locked down. Sort of its version of teleport.

Fire Blast. Ranged Weapon Attack: +17 to hit, range 180 ft., one target. Hit: 26 (4d12) fire damage and must make a DC 25 Constitution saving throw or take 13 (2d12) ongoing fire damage. Design note: I don't like ungoing damage as I always forget it; however, I feel it is thematic. I suggest removing it if you or your players have a problem tracking this damage. Increase the initial damage is a simple solution if you remove the ongoing damage.

Dragon Magic (8/Day). The dragon uses its innate magic, requiring no components, to create one of the following spell-like effects (spell save DC 24, +16 to hit with attacks) as if they are 8th level spells: continual flame, dominate monster, fireball, fire storm, flaming sphere, heat metal, wall of fire
Design note: I think of dragons as being magically elemental, so I give them magic related to their breathweapon. If you see them more sorcerous, then select different spells that meet your theme. You may also want to tailor the spell list to your party. I suggest looking at How to Play a Red Dragon like an Evil Genius for a good spell list and other tactics.

Charge Breath (Recharge 5-6). The dragon inhales and charges its breath weapon. Design note: this action provides the thematic "charge up" of the dragon's breathweapon and the full round action of old school dragons. It also allows us to increase the damage and make it really scary!

LEGENDARY ACTIONS
The dragon can take 3 legendary actions. Design Note: We all know how to apply these, no need to waste space. FYI, I allows legendary monsters to spend any unused legendary/mythic actions at the end of the round.

Colossal Stride. The dragon can move up to half its walking speed. The dragon can enter Medium and smaller creatures space during this movement and does not provoke opportunity attacks. The first time it enters a creatures space the creature must make DC 25 Strength saving throw or be pushed to space our of the dragon's path and knocked prone. Design Note: this could be particularily effective on a narrow (30' wide) bridge over a lava flow.
Detect (Recharge 5-6). The dragon extends its senses, making a Wisdom (Perception) check and gaining advantage on its next attack or inflicting disadvantage on saving throws against its next use of Fire Breath. Design Note: This is to give a solo dragon a method to gain advantage.
Elite Recovery. The dragon ends one negative effect currently affecting it. It can do so as long as it has at least 1 hit point, even while unconscious or incapacitated. Design Note: this is a great replacement for Legendary Resistance from LevelUP. It allows a condition to have an effect, but not completely lock down the monster.
Attack (Cost 2 Actions). The dragon makes one Bite, Tail, or Wing attack.
Fire Breath (Costs 3 Actions). If the dragon has charged its breath weapon, it exhales fire in 200-foot cone or twenty, 20-foot-by-20-foot contiguous areas within 200 feet of it. Each creature in that area must make a DC 25 Dexterity saving throw, taking 130 (20d12) fire damage (+70 fire damage when the dragon's mythic trait is active) and the target is dazed until the end of the dragon's next turn on a failed saving throw, or half as much damage on a successful one. Additionally, any magic or active spell of 8th level or lower in the area ends. Design note: see my previous comments about the dragons fire breath and ongoing damage. The fire burning away magic was to give the dragon another method to escape certain spells.

MYTHIC ACTIONS
When the dragon's Blessing of Takhisis trait is active, it can use the following Mythic Actions.

Mythic Lair. The dragon can use a Lair Action and doing so does not count against its normal use of Lair Actions.
Recharge (Costs 2 Actions). The dragon recharges its breath weapon.
Dragon Magic (Costs 3 Actions). The dragon can create a spell like effect using its dragon magic.
Tail Sweep (Costs 3 Actions). The dragon swings its tail in a 40-foot cone, making a tail attack against reach target in the area. On a hit, a creature that fails the saving throw is pushed 4d10 feet and knocked prone instead of being stunned.

LAIR ACTIONS
On initiative count 20 (losing initiative ties), the dragon takes a lair action to cause one of the following effects; the dragon can’t use the same effect two rounds in a row:
  • Clairaudience. The dragon can hear sounds at a location it chooses within its lair as if it was there. This affect last until the dragon uses a lair action to relocate its clairaudience to another location, it uses a different lair action, or it losses concentration as if concentrating on a spell. The dragon can also end the effect at will (no action). Design note: this is conceptually an extension of the dragon's extraordinary senses. The are even more potent in their lair!
  • Pillar of Fire. The dragon opens a fissure to the elemental plane of fire, causing flames to erupt from a point on the ground within 240 feet of it, creating a 40-foot-high, 10-foot-radius column. Each creature in the area must make a DC 20 Dexterity saving throw, taking 21 (6d6) fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. Design note: you might at the trait that this strips resistances or adds vulnerability to fire damage.
  • Tremors. The dragon causes the ground of the lair to shake in a 120-foot radius around the dragon. Each creature other than the dragon on the ground in that area must succeed on a DC 20 Dexterity saving throw or be knocked prone. Design note: consider having this ability interact with terrain. Have boulders or stalactites fall or ledges or bridges collapse (preferably into lava).
  • Volcanic Gases. The dragon conjures a cloud of noxious vapors in an area it can see within 240 feet of it. The vapors can be in a 30-foot-radius sphere that spreads around corners and centered on a point of the dragon's choice; or a 20-foot tall wall that is 1 foot thick by 90 feet long . The vapors heavily obscure the area, except for the dragon. It lasts until initiative count 20 on the next round. Each creature that starts its turn in the cloud or passes through the cloud must succeed on a DC 20 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned until the end of its turn. While poisoned in this way, a creature is incapacitated. Design note: you might at the trait that this strips resistances or adds vulnerability to fire damage.
Design Note: Lair actions are the same for adult and ancient dragons RAW. I thought ancients should get a little more umph from their lairs. Lair actions in combination with standard and legendary actions allow the dragon to act 3 to 5 times in one round. This helps with action economy.

Last edited:

J-H

Hero
Does the multiattack let it make one bite, one slap, or two claw attacks? Or is it all 4?

Things I really like about your dragon!

-Ignite: Blocks off terrain. Flight takes Concentration, so this affects all equally.
-Tail smack stun.
-Colossal stride. Also potentially lessens OAs.
-Detect granting advantage
-Charged breath burning away magic.
-Tremors causing an AOE knockdown

If you PDF this, please put a link somewhere so I can download it and remember to use these traits in the future.

dave2008

Legend
Does the multiattack let it make one bite, one slap, or two claw attacks? Or is it all 4?
No. It specifically says two claw attacks. It can than replace one of those with a Fire Blast attack.

It can, instead of multiattack, make a bite or tail attack on its turn. It can also make those attacks as a legendary action.
Things I really like about your dragon!

-Ignite: Blocks off terrain. Flight takes Concentration, so this affects all equally.
-Tail smack stun.
-Colossal stride. Also potentially lessens OAs.
-Detect granting advantage
-Charged breath burning away magic.
-Tremors causing an AOE knockdown
Thanks!
If you PDF this, please put a link somewhere so I can download it and remember to use these traits in the future.
Absolutely!

Stalker0

Legend
No. It specifically says two claw attacks. It can than replace one of those with a Fire Blast attack.

It can, instead of multiattack, make a bite or tail attack on its turn. It can also make those attacks as a legendary action.

Thanks!

Absolutely!
There is some text missing for the fire breath

Remove ads