D&D 5E Level 20 Dragon Fight design advice

Quartz

Hero
Don't be afraid to apply the Mythic trait (from Theros, 1/day instant resurrection to full HP) if things go too easily. Possibly along with the dragon's mate arriving.

Remember that minions can have lair actions too

Reynard

Legend
Well, it is finally happening.

I am running "Hell's Heart" from Sly Flourish's "Fantastic Lairs" using an Ancient Gold from the Level Up bestiary. I told the players to all create their PCs as if they had been dragon hunting from level 1 to 20. I gave them 2 rare and 1 very rare permanent item, and the same single use. I will not tell them what the situation is until PCs are locked down.

Because this is still and RPG, this was my conversation starter to get everyone into character and to build a bit of a group dynamic:

Alright @everyone I want each of you to introduce your dragonslayer IN CHARACTER by giving your account of your part in tking down Divassyryxx, the two headed black/green wyrm of the Blighted Moors. Include at least one other PC in your description. This is an improv exercise so it is "Yes, And" -- that is, whatever you say is true (insofar as your PC remembers it) and should set up other PCs to riff off.

The point of the exercise is to tell us about your character -- their capabilities and personality -- as well as establish a party dynamic before we sit down to play. Pretend you are spinning this tale in some minor Baron's hall where you have chosen to eat and drink for free this night.

dave2008

Legend
Well, it is finally happening.

I am running "Hell's Heart" from Sly Flourish's "Fantastic Lairs" using an Ancient Gold from the Level Up bestiary. I told the players to all create their PCs as if they had been dragon hunting from level 1 to 20. I gave them 2 rare and 1 very rare permanent item, and the same single use. I will not tell them what the situation is until PCs are locked down.

Because this is still and RPG, this was my conversation starter to get everyone into character and to build a bit of a group dynamic:

Alright @everyone I want each of you to introduce your dragonslayer IN CHARACTER by giving your account of your part in tking down Divassyryxx, the two headed black/green wyrm of the Blighted Moors. Include at least one other PC in your description. This is an improv exercise so it is "Yes, And" -- that is, whatever you say is true (insofar as your PC remembers it) and should set up other PCs to riff off.

The point of the exercise is to tell us about your character -- their capabilities and personality -- as well as establish a party dynamic before we sit down to play. Pretend you are spinning this tale in some minor Baron's hall where you have chosen to eat and drink for free this night.
Love the improve backstory - let us know how it goes. FYI, you may want to got with the Elite version of LevelUp's gold dragon (Great Wyrm Gold Dragon). Depending on what else the encounter has to offer, an ancient might not be enough tp challenge the group.

Reynard

Legend
Love the improve backstory - let us know how it goes. FYI, you may want to got with the Elite version of LevelUp's gold dragon (Great Wyrm Gold Dragon). Depending on what else the encounter has to offer, an ancient might not be enough tp challenge the group.
They have to fight 3 balors first. I figure I can hold the Elite aspect in my pocket since it kicks in at bloodied. If they nearly knock it down in a round or two,I can just have it "rage."

A couple of thoughts;
  • Mobility. Even if you decide on a lair fight, you have to make the dragon mobile and use it's flight. A static fight is extremely boring at 20th level.
  • The other way to not be static is to give the dragon options. Not just different claw/bite attacks but other special abilities and lair actions that change the battlefield.
  • You will need a ton of hit points.
  • I asked a similar question and got some great advice on mythic dragons here: https://www.enworld.org/threads/ebondeath-stat-block.686712/
  • Attached is the FG NPC 'mythic' version of ED that I ran with. Went ok, but even this stat block needed more mobility and options.

Attachments

• Ebondeath Mythic.zip
    863 bytes · Views: 39

Remove ads