Blog (A5E) Level Up Monster Preview: Green Dragon

Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition's Monstrous Menagerie contains more in-depth treatments of the O5E monsters you already know and love. We include interesting, varied actions which will surprise your players, and a range of new tools to enhance monster encounters — signs, behaviors, lairs, encounters, treasure, names, and more. If you follow us on Twitter you may have seen the Bugbear preview...

Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition's Monstrous Menagerie contains more in-depth treatments of the O5E monsters you already know and love. We include interesting, varied actions which will surprise your players, and a range of new tools to enhance monster encounters — signs, behaviors, lairs, encounters, treasure, names, and more.

If you follow us on Twitter you may have seen the Bugbear preview we shared a few days ago. Below, there’s a bigger monster. A green dragon.

swampdragon copy.jpg

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't think they mean "tougher" per se when they say "advanced". I think they mean "more mechanically interesting, with some expanded crunchiness, along with a few features that engage with the expanded crunchiness of the likewise-advanced PCs".

I don't think it's meant as an indictment of the O5E version.
This. They’re the same CR.

clearstream

(He, Him)
1) It has a weirdly high passive perception. I'm not sure if you are just giving a bonus beyond the mechanics (which honestly I have no issue with, I like that 5e monsters aren't as slaved to rigid mechanics like 3.5 monsters were), or if that is a typo.

2) Woodland Stalker: Very cool ability. My immediate reaction was "hide in the shadows and just honey words the party to death!". I am not sure if you intend honey words to work with the ability like that, so something to keep in mind. It is cool though :)
Just on these two, I really appreciated seeing these modifiers at levels that can foreseeably matter!

dave2008

Legend
Now, given that the green dragon breath weapon needs about 5-6 rounds to recharge, ...
I just wanted to point out that you seem to misunderstand the Recharge mechanic. Recharge 5-6 doesn't mean it recharges in 5-6 rounds. It means it recharges on a roll of 5 or 6. You roll a d6 to recharge at the start or each of its turns. In theory, the breath recharges 1 per 3 rounds. From the Monster Manual (pg 11):

1615325481621.png

Last edited:

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Now, given that the green dragon breath weapon needs about 5-6 rounds to recharge, having a second breath weapon attack is not likely. But, if the combat lasts that long and the dragon hasn't already bugged out due to falling below its HP threshold to retreat, it's a good trick to have up the sleeve.

As said above, the dragon rolls a D6 to get its breath weapon back. I've run dragons before where they have been able to use their breath weapon on the first round, and got it back on their second one (and believe me, that hurts PCs!)

I just wanted to point out that you seem to misunderstand the Recharge mechanic. Recharge 5-6 doesn't mean it recharges in 5-6 rounds. It means it recharges on a roll of 5 or 6. You roll a d6 to recharge at the start or each of its turns. In theory, the breath recharges 1 per 3 rounds. From the Monster Manual (pg 11):

View attachment 133917
Thank you for pointing that out. I had been assuming that it took 5-6 turns as well.

Remove ads

Remove ads