Blog (A5E) Level Up Monster Preview: Green Dragon

Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition's Monstrous Menagerie contains more in-depth treatments of the O5E monsters you already know and love. We include interesting, varied actions which will surprise your players, and a range of new tools to enhance monster encounters — signs, behaviors, lairs, encounters, treasure, names, and more. If you follow us on Twitter you may have seen the Bugbear preview...

Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition's Monstrous Menagerie contains more in-depth treatments of the O5E monsters you already know and love. We include interesting, varied actions which will surprise your players, and a range of new tools to enhance monster encounters — signs, behaviors, lairs, encounters, treasure, names, and more.

If you follow us on Twitter you may have seen the Bugbear preview we shared a few days ago. Below, there’s a bigger monster. A green dragon.

swampdragon copy.jpg

Something I noticed in both the bugbear preview and in Honeyed Words: The wording needs to be tighter, there's too much random use of target and creature. In one instance in honeyed words, the creature is the target of honeyed words, the next instance it's the target of the creature affected by honeyed words. Like in 4E, always make sure there's no doubt who's being referred to.

Okay...quick question...are the advanced monsters usable even if one does not use Level up? Because I don't feel like adding more complexity to the base game but I love more in-depth monster encounters.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Okay...quick question...are the advanced monsters usable even if one does not use Level up? Because I don't feel like adding more complexity to the base game but I love more in-depth monster encounters.
Easily. You can see the dragon right there. As you can see, it’s perfectly useable!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
@morris - What would you say is the minimum buy-in for a player, if say, the GM (Narrator - nice!) wanted to use A5E but a player preferred not to? For example, I would like to run a full version of it when it comes out, but I have players who won't want to take the time to read (and would never buy) these new rules. I understand that it's "backwards compatible", but I assume that if (for example) my player made himself an O5E character, he would at least need to understand how Fatigue and Strife works (easy enough to tell him).

Off the top of your head, is there anything else that an opt-out player would be "forced" to learn if the GM went ALL-IN? (I don't count things like Boons and whatever - every player likes having the DM grant them bonus stuff!)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
@morris - What would you say is the minimum buy-in for a player, if say, the GM (Narrator - nice!) wanted to use A5E but a player preferred not to? For example, I would like to run a full version of it when it comes out, but I have players who won't want to take the time to read (and would never buy) these new rules. I understand that it's "backwards compatible", but I assume that if (for example) my player made himself an O5E character, he would at least need to understand how Fatigue and Strife works (easy enough to tell him).

Off the top of your head, is there anything else that an opt-out player would be "forced" to learn if the GM went ALL-IN? (I don't count things like Boons and whatever - every player likes having the DM grant them bonus stuff!)
I can’t think of anything the player has to learn, if they’re using their O5E character. If they made a new A5E character, obviously they’d need to check out the A5E character options. I might be wrong but off the top of my head nothing is striking me.

Oh, two things. Combat maneuvers like shove and trip and stuff work slightly different and we have expertise dice. It I’m sure a player won’t be upset when you tell them they can roll an extra d4 when they climb that cliff.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I can’t think of anything the player has to learn, if they’re using their O5E character. If they made a new A5E character, obviously they’d need to check out the A5E character options. I might be wrong but off the top of my head nothing is striking me.

Oh, two things. Combat maneuvers like shove and trip and stuff work slightly different and we have expertise dice. It I’m sure a player won’t be upset when you tell them they can roll an extra d4 when they climb that cliff.
That's about what I was expecting. Thanks!

Hopefully I won't get too many "but I don't want to learn a new game!" - type arguments when I suggest we try it. I mean, I've got my counter-points ready, but I expect resistance. (From some players - others will be totally on board!)

On a slightly different subject, while I have you - do you know anything about how you are planning to distribute it? (You may or may not be aware that I own a comic and game store). I want the books for myself, and possibly some of my players, if I can convince them, but also... when the pandemic is over, I can DEMO it at my store, and maybe sell some that way too.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That's about what I was expecting. Thanks!

Hopefully I won't get too many "but I don't want to learn a new game!" - type arguments when I suggest we try it. I mean, I've got my counter-points ready, but I expect resistance. (From some players - others will be totally on board!)

On a slightly different subject, while I have you - do you know anything about how you are planning to distribute it? (You may or may not be aware that I own a comic and game store). I want the books for myself, and possibly some of my players, if I can convince them, but also... when the pandemic is over, I can DEMO it at my store, and maybe sell some that way too.
It’s not a new game. I can’t reiterate this enough. It’s not a new game. This is 5E. It’s so important to us that we’re not making a new game. If you know how to play 5E, you can play this.

We do know something about our distribution plans but that’s a ways off yet.

Remove ads

Remove ads