Level Up (A5E) Level Up Playtest Document: #18: Combat

This is a big one, folks. If any playtest document needed playing rather than just reading, this is it. What we are giving you here is the entire combat chapter. You can use this chapter in your regular 5E combats (or you can use our previous playtest documents, like Combat Maneuvers); it’s the same game you know and love, the same system you’re familiar with, but with upgrades and tweaks. We can’t wait to find out what you think of it!

Take this and use it on your 5E games. Then come back and tell us how it went. Thank you!

a.jpg

The survey is here!

Please take a moment to fill it out. Thank you!

Last edited:

RocjawCypher

Villager
I notice that there is no mention of minor advantage and disadvantage in this section- are those still in the system and just relegated to manuvers and the like? Or have they been replaced by more expertise dice?

Argyle King

Legend
While I understand the "on your turn" section which explains actions, I can see how it might be read (by a new player) in a way which suggests you can't move and take an action in the same turn.

Yes, I know that the section explains that you can. I understand that. However, I also feel that the wording could be made clearer for the benefit of those who are newer (or less experiences) players of games.

VanguardHero

Adventurer
So I was looking back through the Berserker Playtest since Press the Attack took Reckless Attack and made it into a general thing anyone can use, and holy naughty word, Press the Attack is so good for Berserkers. With their increased Crit Range and varied effects on Critical, giving themselves Advantage makes them terrifying, and forces opponents into choosing one of two bad options, likely eating a ton of damage and debilitation, or burning their Reaction and getting Disadvantage next turn. That is the kind of oppression it should feel like fighting a Berserker. Rage also helps to mitigate the downside of Press The Attack as well. No flat damage on Rage looks bad at first, but with the math change to crits, and all the fun stuff Berserkers get including this, they are dramatically spiky and that just seems so much more satisfying. This chapter adds a ton of context to some stuff and has me so so excited.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I notice that there is no mention of minor advantage and disadvantage in this section- are those still in the system and just relegated to manuvers and the like? Or have they been replaced by more expertise dice?
Those were removed back last year, when the playtest survey responders made it overwhelmingly clear they did not like them.

Waller

Legend
While I understand the "on your turn" section which explains actions, I can see how it might be read (by a new player) in a way which suggests you can't move and take an action in the same turn.

Yes, I know that the section explains that you can. I understand that. However, I also feel that the wording could be made clearer for the benefit of those who are newer (or less experiences) players of games.
"When it is your turn, you can move a distance up to your Speed and take your actions."

I can't see how you can read that in a way that suggests you can't move and take your actions, whatever your level of experience. It's the exact opposite of what it says.

alsoalpharius

First Post
A quick question about the changes to Dash (and the introduction of Sprint) and their interactions with the Ready action.

As in O5e, Dash and Sprint don't allow you to move as part of the action, instead granting you increased speed with your regular movement. Therefore, Dashing (or Sprinting) as a readied action would have no real effect as it would increase your speed but not allow you to move. In O5e, this was circumnavigated by stating in the Ready action, "Then, you choose the action you will take in response to that trigger, or you choose to move up to your speed in response to it." Having movement as a separate option when readying.

In the A5e Ready action, it states Dash as an option to move your speed. My question being, is the intent to keep it the same as before and I'm simply reading into too much detail? Or would you be able to move double your regular speed as you are using Dash in the readied action?

Cheers.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases