Playtest (A5E) Level Up Playtest Document #2: Fighter

Welcome to the second Level Up playtest document. This playtest contains a candidate for the first 10 levels of game’s fighter class, and our new combat maneuvers system. This playtest document begins to address three issues which you said were important in the survey we posted last month: Meaningful character choices at each advancement level A fully fleshed out exploration pillar* A...
Welcome to the second Level Up playtest document. This playtest contains a candidate for the first 10 levels of game’s fighter class, and our new combat maneuvers system.

8E9824F7-66C6-49B5-806F-5A448EBB2DF3.jpeg

This playtest document begins to address three issues which you said were important in the survey we posted last month:
  • Meaningful character choices at each advancement level
  • A fully fleshed out exploration pillar*
  • A range of martial maneuvers to give non-spellcasters more options in combat
*Exploration knacks, as introduced in this playtest document, only form part of the exploration pillar.

Download the playtest document

What this is
This is a playtest document. We’d love you to try out the rules presented here, and then answer the follow-up survey in a few days.

What this is not
This is NOT the final game. It’s OK if you don’t like elements of these rules; that’s the purpose of a playtest document. Be sure to participate in the follow-up survey in a few days. All data, positive or negative is useful.

What we use this for
Your survey responses help form the direction of the game as it goes through the development process.

Don’t forget!
Sign up for the mailing list for notifications of playtests, surveys, and news, and to make sure you get notified on Kickstarter when the project launches in 2021.

Continue reading...

Faolyn

(she/her)
BTW, is there going to be playtest packet for the archetypes before we get the next class packet, or after we do all the classes? And since we started with fighter, are we just going to get the "main" classes (fighter, cleric, wizard, rogue), or are you just doing them in a non-alphabetical order?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
BTW, is there going to be playtest packet for the archetypes before we get the next class packet, or after we do all the classes? And since we started with fighter, are we just going to get the "main" classes (fighter, cleric, wizard, rogue), or are you just doing them in a non-alphabetical order?
We plan to playtest all the classes. No particular order though.

Abstruse

Legend
I tried combining the two Playtest documents to create an Orc Fighter and...I think I'm missing an Ability Score somewhere? I take the Soldier background which gets me +1 Strength and +1 to any other ability score. But I don't get any from my Heritage, Culture, or Class. In core PHB/SRD 5e, the ability score modifiers for race is +2 to one ability score and subrace is +1 to another ability score. So comparatively, I'm short 1 ability score increase. Did I miss it or is that coming in a future playtest document?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I tried combining the two Playtest documents to create an Orc Fighter and...I think I'm missing an Ability Score somewhere? I take the Soldier background which gets me +1 Strength and +1 to any other ability score. But I don't get any from my Heritage, Culture, or Class. In core PHB/SRD 5e, the ability score modifiers for race is +2 to one ability score and subrace is +1 to another ability score. So comparatively, I'm short 1 ability score increase. Did I miss it or is that coming in a future playtest document?
The racial ability increases are replaced with heritage gifts.

Abstruse

Legend
The racial ability increases are replaced with heritage gifts.
So I'm meant to have +1 to two attributes then, with the Heritage Gift granting an ability/power that is equal to another +1 ability score boost? Just making sure I understand correctly because it makes sense as a few look a lot like half a feat...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So I'm meant to have +1 to two attributes then, with the Heritage Gift granting an ability/power that is equal to another +1 ability score boost? Just making sure I understand correctly because it makes sense as a few look a lot like half a feat...
You’re supposed to have +1 to two ability scores, yep. The overall combination of the three building blocks is balanced against the equivalent core 5E building blocks.

Though you should note in your feedback that you needed clarification, as we wouldn’t be there to clarify at your gaming table!

Sacrosanct

Legend
But this product is backward compatible. You can still choose to play all three PHB versions, and if you want simplicity, choose Champion and have at it.

Looking at the features and abilities, this is very mich not backwards compatible with core 5e. It would be like saying the 3e fighter is backwards compatible with a B/X fighter.

As a designer myself, I get it. It’s hard to capture everything you want to do and keep power creep down, especially if you’re required to keep it balanced with an existing system. But look at that thread with sample fighters. Or just look at the playtest doc. The Levelup fighter easily has twice as many abilities as the core one, and is better at those things as well.
Levelup might be exactly what people are wanting, but right now, it’s not backwards compatible without significant balance issues.

Remove ads

Remove ads