Playtest (A5E) Level Up Playtest Document #2: Fighter

Welcome to the second Level Up playtest document. This playtest contains a candidate for the first 10 levels of game’s fighter class, and our new combat maneuvers system. This playtest document begins to address three issues which you said were important in the survey we posted last month: Meaningful character choices at each advancement level A fully fleshed out exploration pillar* A...

Welcome to the second Level Up playtest document. This playtest contains a candidate for the first 10 levels of game’s fighter class, and our new combat maneuvers system.

8E9824F7-66C6-49B5-806F-5A448EBB2DF3.jpeg

This playtest document begins to address three issues which you said were important in the survey we posted last month:
  • Meaningful character choices at each advancement level
  • A fully fleshed out exploration pillar*
  • A range of martial maneuvers to give non-spellcasters more options in combat
*Exploration knacks, as introduced in this playtest document, only form part of the exploration pillar.

Download the playtest document

What this is
This is a playtest document. We’d love you to try out the rules presented here, and then answer the follow-up survey in a few days.

What this is not
This is NOT the final game. It’s OK if you don’t like elements of these rules; that’s the purpose of a playtest document. Be sure to participate in the follow-up survey in a few days. All data, positive or negative is useful.

What we use this for
Your survey responses help form the direction of the game as it goes through the development process.

Don’t forget!
Sign up for the mailing list for notifications of playtests, surveys, and news, and to make sure you get notified on Kickstarter when the project launches in 2021.

Continue reading...

aco175

Legend
I would like to see some of the base fighter options get back in somewhere. 2nd wind could become a maneuver or knack. Not sure how many of my group would play a fighter without a couple of the base options to choose from.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I like the evocative names......don't make them all "western, generic", please.
If we did that I'd rather have flavorful names like Bonetti, Thibult or Capo Ferro.

I just prefer the names of the Traditions to be generic so that it hints to no direct flavor. Each setting could then easily suggest local names for each tradition and everyone understand the connections..

Earth Tradition could be Adamant Mountain in one setting, Dwarf Fencing in another, The Gray Way in another, Stomping Ox Style in another, and Burhart's Zweihander in another.

I just prefer the names of the Traditions to be generic so that it hints to no direct flavor. Each setting could then easily suggest local names for each tradition and everyone understand the connections..

Earth Tradition could be Adamant Mountain in one setting, Dwarf Fencing in another, The Gray Way in another, Stomping Ox Style in another, and Burhart's Zweihander in another.

Yeah, but if D&D went that route back in the 70s we would not have Nystul, Mordekainen, Otiluke, Otto, Tasha and those - there were non generic names that were put into game mechanics to help flavor. I can see that some of the fighter traditions used were "extreme" with flavor, but a generic title just sits there. Give it some flavor.

Remove ads

Remove ads