Playtest (A5E) Level Up Playtest Document #8: Berserker

Welcome to the 8th Level Up playtest document. This playtest contains a candidate for the game’s berserker class. The berserker is our proposed name for the barbarian, as we wanted the class to encompass a wider variety of rage-powered characters alongside the wilderness warriors the class has traditionally represented.

shutterstock_223093093.jpg

Download the playtest document

What this is​

This is a playtest document. We’d love you to try out the rules presented here, and then answer the follow-up survey in a few days.

What this is not​

This is NOT the final game. It’s OK if you don’t like elements of these rules; that’s the purpose of a playtest document. Be sure to participate in the follow-up survey in a few days. All data, positive or negative is useful.

What we use this for​

Your survey responses help form the direction of the game as it goes through the development process.

Don’t forget!​

Sign up for the mailing list for notifications of playtests, surveys, and news, and to make sure you get notified on Kickstarter when the project launches in 2021.

Continue reading...

Last edited:

RSIxidor

Adventurer
Deafening Blow - Is this meant to cause the concentration saving throw while the target is deafened? I don't think it currently does that as written. Probably should say something like "while deafened this way." Or is it meant just to keep them from casting a spell as a reaction?

Overall, looks like a lot of fun. I really enjoy the exploration and social options being added here.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Well, I'm glad I checked back tonight!

And so, my initial thoughts, as per usual. Although I don't know how helpful I'll be because the barbarian is one of two classes I've never really had any enthusiasm for or desire to play as (the other being the monk--they're just not my thing, is all), so I have no experience with them.

Juggernaut: Huh. That's odd, since the idea has always been that the barb wanders around in hide at most. But I guess since the Juggernaut wears a giant suit of armor, it fits. I do have to wonder if it's deliberate that they can wear heavy armor but can't rage in it. I'm imagining some plate-clad warrior getting angry while in battle, calling for a 5-minute break, taking off their armor, and then going into a rage.

Furious Critical: Interesting concept! I wish fighters and other martial characters had the option to get one of these--maybe with a feat? Suggestion: I can't read, apparently, and missed the word even when I first read this. Perhaps for dummies like me, in addition to saying "At 4th level and every even berserker level after" you put a mention of Furious Critical in the class chart at the appropriate level.

However, Dazzling Prowess is kinda odd. The target isn't stunned because you conked them so hard they can't think straight; they're stunned because you're so gosh-darned cool! It calls forth an amusing visual.

Warrior Borne: Borne means to bear or carry (think "blood-borne pathogen," like that video I had to watch a dozen times at work over the years). I think you mean Warrior Born, or possibly A Born Warrior. Or maybe you are destined to give birth to, or sire, little warriors.

Forceful: You write "You can always choose to use Constitution when making Persuasion checks." You've done this a few times already in other situations, so I'm a bit confused here because you've also said that you're doing a more thorough job of divorcing skills from stats. So, could you tell me which of the following examples is more accurate to how LU is going to handle skills:

Example 1
GM: So, if you want to convince the Minister to not call for the guards after finding you ransacking his dressing room, make a Persuasion check.

PC: OK, so, using Constitution as my stat, I roll... a 7. All right, I ready my axe.

-or-

Example 2
GM: [...] make a Charisma (Persuasion) check.

PC: Nope! I'mma Berserker; I get to use Con instead! And... I roll a 7. Dammit. Well, still better than if I'd rolled Charisma.

And if it's the first example, then does it mean that I always have to use Charisma unless I have an ability or there's a rule that says otherwise, but there are lots of these exceptions?

Takes One To Know One: Well, childhood-style taunts aside (you may want to change the name), this says "When you see a creature, you know if it [...] has access to combat maneuvers." Does this mean that--DM fiat* aside--there's going to be support for monsters to know combat maneuvers? "Watch out, Arim, that otyugh knows Rapid Current Eye Slash!"

Joking aside, does this give the berserker the ability to know what sort of maneuvers an individual has ("by the way that otyugh is checking out your eyes while its flexing its claws in a way that makes it look like it's plucking something, I think it knows some way to rip your eyes out."), or just that is has maneuvers?

*I saw DM fiat because, of course, there's nothing stopping me from making a monster and giving it an ability that mimics the effects of any of these maneuvers, but that's different than saying "this monster literally knows a special martial arts technique."

(Kung Fu Owlbear?)

Exploration Knacks: Good set of knacks. I notice there's only five of them--are there more in the works, or are you actually sticking all the knacks together and therefore barbarians can get some that have been listed in other playtests?

All-in-all, I still don't have any ideas for a barbarian character, but there are some definitely interesting options here.

Zsong

Explorer
I wish I had time to play this. I really like what you guys are doing with this. I read them and salivate some. I’m just too much in to my rq/coc game with my players at the moment. Looking forward to the final product.

Faolyn

(she/her)
2) I would probably change the wording slightly on the rage temp HP to indicate they only stack with themselves; right now, I think there's a valid reading of the rule such that they can stack with different sources of temp HP.

Temp hp never stacks.

I missed this in my initial read. There should not be a rules exception in this case. LU writers, I strongly suggest that you model the beserkers after the Abjurer wizard shield ability, because it grants extra not-temp-hp which, because it's not temp hp, does stack.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Temp hp never stacks.

I missed this in my initial read. There should not be a rules exception in this case. LU writers, I strongly suggest that you model the beserkers after the Abjurer wizard shield ability, because it grants extra not-temp-hp which, because it's not temp hp, does stack.
While your right about temp hp never stacking, I can't think of any instances not written as 'N temporary hit points", this being listed as "+n" creates confusion begging the gm to decide intent.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases