• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Levelled creatures in own book?

zoroaster100

First Post
That sounds like a great idea for goblins, orcs, gnolls, trolls, ogres, giants, drow (perhaps we are getting that soon for drow), githyanki and mindflayers.

I remember there was a similar product from a third party publisher in 2nd edition days, and it was great. That one covered trolls, goblins, kobolds, gnolls and orcs. It had variant trolls, stats for different trolls, a pantheon of three hag goddesses for the trolls, etc. Now with classed monsters, there is need for stat blocks for a whole range of classed creatures for ease of use.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
... and the need for a decent character generator is made plain once again by a thread like this.

I would prefer that WotC put its efforts into hiring a competent programming team to create a chargen programme that really works. It was done with Core Rules for 2E so why can't it be done for 3.5E?

Firedancer

First Post
jmucchiello said:
The reason it isn't done is the same reason you haven't done it yourself.

But I don't work, nor am I trying to work as a games writer/designer. I have got pages of NPC's that I've used over my time DM. These are specific to my game. I have not done extensive work for generic races, its time consuming enough doing the specific ones I need. I have used the NPC's from DMG, cityscape, and tweaked the example PrCs as well.

Pay an aspiring writing whatever the rate is, he can prove he can actually cobble together a stat block or 10 as well as show understanding of a particular race and some creativity with the extras section. Between Dungeon, Dragon and WoTC staff there is plenty of talent that could be employed, even if its 1 race apiece.

Third parties have a harder time as can't use the extra classes, feats and spells that are available in so many other books.

I was under the impression the OGC has changed during its life (mind flayers originally in, then dropped), The SRD does give a wealth of combinations to play with, but anything extra has to be checked, as although probably not OGC, some feats have become some.

From a WoTC view, such a book could comprise anything they've published and be very rich indeed.

Shadowslayer, I've not said the quality of the work in MM4 was an issue, more that there was a lot of noise about its inclusion in MM4 over new monsters.

But, perhaps the issue is there isn't enough support for this sort of product?

Firedancer said:
But I don't work, nor am I trying to work as a games writer/designer.
Did you miss the part about me bleeding out my eyes? Doing this is painfully, dreadfully meticulous work. People don't sign on to poor paying jobs so they can burn themselves out of stat blocks. If I'm going to pay someone to write a book, I want the book to be new and interesting so they can demonstrate writing skill. Paying for mechanical applications doesn't test the writer's ability to grab the reader.
Pay an aspiring writing whatever the rate is
Aspiring writers are a dime a dozen. I'd rather spend money on great writers writing great things.

Actually, you should just start a thread of leveled monsters. Quality in thread to create these statblocks will most likely supersede anything you'd get in a printed product.

Pants

First Post
jmucchiello said:
Did you miss the part about me bleeding out my eyes? Doing this is painfully, dreadfully meticulous work. People don't sign on to poor paying jobs so they can burn themselves out of stat blocks. If I'm going to pay someone to write a book, I want the book to be new and interesting so they can demonstrate writing skill. Paying for mechanical applications doesn't test the writer's ability to grab the reader.
As opposed to simply being really useful? You said it yourself, doing the work made your eyes bleed (figuratively), so if say someone were to approach you and offer their services to do such a book that would likely be a very useful addition to any DM's library... you'd turn them down? :confused:

Hussar

Legend
I would point out that PCGen does most of the heavy lifting for advancing monsters and sticks them in a stat block for you with very few mistakes. Does templates too.

That might help you.

Firedancer

First Post
Hussar said:
I would point out that PCGen does most of the heavy lifting for advancing monsters and sticks them in a stat block for you with very few mistakes.

Not used this before, so I am curious, how much prep time does it take? Is it a matter of me loading this, checking a couple of boxes, pressing go and then copy and paste the stat block, repeat for the next level?

I've looked at the Genjitsu Flock of Foes and the skel/zombies of various races sounds good, suitable for the necromancer a friend has been wanting to play.

The mongoose Slayers Guides are a bit too detailed on fluff for my thinking. Its less a MM substitute with levelled humanoids, more a study of each race. Not a terrible price per book, but to get all the books for the stat blocks of levelled humanoids...seems a bit much.

Glyfair, the reception of these products; was it because of the quality of the stat blocks, the product itself, or just general disinterest?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads