• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Library Research

Arknath

First Post
All,

Just a quick question...my players recently uncovered an ancient library that has been buried for many years and I'm having trouble deciphering what information they glean and how long it would take to get it. I'm talking about a library of over 100,000 items to look through, be they scrolls, books, loose and bound parchment, etc.

Any guidelines on how long this should take and if the specific information they seek is here? Obviously detailing every book is (insane!) out of the question and I'm not sure what books would have made it to this place.

Anyway, how do you do it in your campaign?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
For game mechanics, I would determine which knowledge skills would be supported by the library and give anyone using the library to answer a question in that field a modifier on their skill check. I would set the modifier based on how well the library supports that field.

For example: If I might say the library supports the arcana and history knowledge skills and give a +4 on arcana checks and +8 on history checks (because it has a lot more history sources than arcana). Any check on those skills would get the modifiers.

I would also allow a character to take 20 on a knowlege check in a library.

As far as how long it would take to consult a library: I think it's fair to give them a 1 hour time for any single check, 20 hours for taking 20. Using a library should not be a standard action.

GreatLemur

Explorer
Did the ancients have the Dewey decimal system?

Seriously, is there any sort of organizing principle to the library's contents, as far as the PCs can understand it? And is the information something that might be a major subject of a book, or just something that might be mentioned in passing in a footnote? Are the texts all in the same language, or to they have to assess each book they encounter individually, and possibly make Decipher Script checks?

Arknath

First Post
billd91 said:
For game mechanics, I would determine which knowledge skills would be supported by the library and give anyone using the library to answer a question in that field a modifier on their skill check. I would set the modifier based on how well the library supports that field.

I would also allow a character to take 20 on a knowlege check in a library.

I like this method...I'll have to do some thinking on it.

billd91 said:
As far as how long it would take to consult a library: I think it's fair to give them a 1 hour time for any single check, 20 hours for taking 20. Using a library should not be a standard action.

Really? That short of time? I was thinking that a specific question might take months to find because of the lack of (as Lemur pointed out) any kind of organization that may or may not be knownst to the PCs.

Merkuri

Explorer
There's a feat called Research in the Eberron Campaign Setting that lets characters research out of a library. Personally, I don't think it would be too unbalancing to simply take the feat as a rules addition, so characters can use the "feat" without actually taking it.

Infernal Teddy

Explorer
A library with 100,000 Items? Wow. Actually, this would be too big for anything that would have been middle ages or ancient times... Tell me more :)

bento

Explorer
There's a situation similar to this in one of the free modules posted on the WoTC site. Here's the link to the module:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/tsr9257.zip

It's about in the middle, where the adventurers arrive at a city in the jungle. There's a library in the city they can visit and there's guidelines on what the adventurers will find in each section given enough time. Don't worry about specifics, but do outline some nuggets given a good skill roll and taking 20.

For instance: Searching in the collection of ancient maps and travel guides, if the players roll a DC 35 or higher they'll find the following information about the place where they are going to.

In this jungle library though there are professional and para-professionals, which would speed up time in navagating in the collection. If you're players don't have access to someone who can help (i.e. a staff of librarians) their task would be akin to sneaking into the National Library of Finland at night and trying to gleen information.

Woas

First Post
Arknath said:
Really? That short of time? I was thinking that a specific question might take months to find because of the lack of (as Lemur pointed out) any kind of organization that may or may not be knownst to the PCs.

Well, it is a world of magic right? Perhaps there is some sort of organization based on some magic spells. You could turn the whole library almost into a magic item in-and of-itself by having something like magic refrence 'desks' which could take on any sort of flavor and architecture: crystal nodes, huge magic book of indexes... whatever they are, they use lost magical commands (aka, use activation commands) that point the researcher toward the required information they seek. So an adventure in an adventure.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Maybe give the players a chance to figure out the organization? After that, the library grants a bonus to knowledge checks.

Whoever owned the library would probably need a reference guide (a list, basic oganization at least) to know where his own books were. There should probably be an office somewhere with a map of books in the library.

If those don't appeal to you, use the library as a plot device. What information do you want to give the PCs? Have them pull out a few books and then give them what you want to tell them. Or, maybe if the players are looking for a particular book or subject, a divination spell could help.

Arknath

First Post
Merkuri said:
There's a feat called Research in the Eberron Campaign Setting that lets characters research out of a library. Personally, I don't think it would be too unbalancing to simply take the feat as a rules addition, so characters can use the "feat" without actually taking it.

Wow..this is good too...Just skimming the text, it looks like hard and fast system (which i like formulas and such for figuring out stuff). Thanks for the link!

bento said:
It's about in the middle, where the adventurers arrive at a city in the jungle. There's a library in the city they can visit and there's guidelines on what the adventurers will find in each section given enough time. Don't worry about specifics, but do outline some nuggets given a good skill roll and taking 20.
If you're players don't have access to someone who can help (i.e. a staff of librarians) their task would be akin to sneaking into the National Library of Finland at night and trying to gleen information.

Yeah, this is a library that has been untended (but preserved) for about three decades. I think this makes sense either way I do it...come up with some sections of the library and just give bonus to knowledge checks and maybe use the "Research" feat suggested above. Good call.

Woas said:
Perhaps there is some sort of organization based on some magic spells.

Jdvn1 said:
If those don't appeal to you, use the library as a plot device. What information do you want to give the PCs? Have them pull out a few books and then give them what you want to tell them. Or, maybe if the players are looking for a particular book or subject, a divination spell could help.

You guys are absolutely right...A suggestion of some sort of organization based on spells (I like the "crystal" method, no pun intended :) ) and the "divination" spell is also a good suggestion (there is a diviner in the group). Great ideas all and I think i might be able to mesh them all together and get a pretty detailed workable system out of it.

Thanks all!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads