D&D 5E Life cleric archery

tuxgeo

Adventurer
I'm playing a human Life cleric in a Play-by-Post game here on EN World. My PC's shortbow deals more damage than his Sacred Flame cantrip. The cantrip hasn't dealt any damage yet because each enemy that he tries it on succeeds on the DEX save to avoid it. (I may be exaggerating a little bit.) :)

We're only up to 2nd Level right now, and he has AC 16 with Mediuim armor because he wanted to avoid the Stealth penalty of Heavy.

If you're sure you're doing to stay on the back lines. If you want to mix it up in melee more, bear in mind that Life Clerics get Heavy armour proficiency, so you might want a better STR score to be able to wear that.

He has a 14+ Dex. The most they could get out of going up to heavy armor is 1 more point of AC (at the expense of raising their strength to 15).

Mad_Jack

Legend
If you're proficient in the longbow, you'll definitely eventually want to purchase a longbow regardless of the damage (or even your to-hit with it) - simply because of the ridiculous range advantage it has over cantrips. Even if your cantrips do more damage, cantrips generally don't have great range.

Every character should have a ranged weapon, preferably one that has a greater range than that at which most encounters start. Regardless of whether or not it sees regular use in every fight, there will eventually come times when having it made a huge difference in that particular fight.

Vilitas

First Post
<All of this ignores flavor concerns. If something doesn't feel right, pick something else.>

At first level, you should use a light crossbow to save money. By 2nd or third, picking a longbow makes sense. You are attacking with a +4 to do 1d8+2, whereas sacred flame would do 1d8 with dc 13 and a longsword would be +3 to hit and 1d8+1 (short sword +4 and 1d6+2). The 2 points extra damage trump SF's slightly better chances to fully connect (save DC vs. AC*).

At 5th level, switch to sacred flame. You are doing 2d8 now, and it has a better chance of connecting.

At 8th level, your bow damage increases to 2d8+2. Keep using that.

All of this advice changes if you increase your stats.

*comparing Dex save DCs to ACs for opponents is always going to be a rough estimate, since every DM throws differing opponents at you.

Sorry about these nooby questions but, how do you calculate the + to hit. Like you said long bow would be a +4to hit and 1d8+2?

Eis

Explorer
Sorry about these nooby questions but, how do you calculate the + to hit. Like you said long bow would be a +4to hit and 1d8+2?

don't be afraid to ask questions....there are a LOT of people here with a LOT of knowledge and we all had at least a few things mixed up when we started playing....in fact I am special enough to have been playing for years and years and still screwing things up and needing to ask questions

in short....there is no crime in being new to playing.....have fun!

Remove ads