D&D (2024) Lifetime boycott of D&D-branded products?

Exactly. The game will continue and evolve with or without those who boycott. There will always be new players to take their place and perhaps maybe they are trying to cater to a younger consumer base rather than placating people who want more of the same in the form of updated settings and rules from previous iterations of the game, who knows...

I think showing that we don't like how disrespectful players including DMs and designers are treated is appreciated. It is jist that you need to make sure that if they do adjust, they can get back goodwill. Else, they find new customers.

In that case, I think they misjudged the importance of the voicy customers: those which are usually DMs who are usually the whales.

Exactly. The game will continue and evolve with or without those who boycott. There will always be new players to take their place and perhaps maybe they are trying to cater to a younger consumer base rather than placating people who want more of the same in the form of updated settings and rules from previous iterations of the game, who knows...

This may be the case. But just based on what I have seen over the years, unlike a lot of other things, D&D very much relies on its existing fanbase to continue playing the game and growing it. Getting new players has been a perpetual challenge in the hobby. And we've long had booms and fads, but most of those new people who enter in those phases end up leaving for the next big thing. It has always been the people playing the game now who keep the game alive and help bring in the new players.

This threat (with a t, not a d) is not helpful.
If you tell them that they can't win you back no matter what, you have just lost any weight in that matter. They can ignore you in their decision making as you are not a potential customer anymore.

To be clear here, I don't think the people saying they are done with D&D for good, would care, because they are done with D&D for good. The aim isn't for wizards to reform but for them to fade away.

R_J_K75

Legend
In that case, I think they misjudged the importance of the voicy customers: those which are usually DMs who are usually the whales.
For sure. Throughout my years of playing D&D/RPGs I've mostly DM'd and spent the majority of the money on products accessories etc in my groups.
It has always been the people playing the game now who keep the game alive and help bring in the new players.
Yep, and I've personally introduced the game to more than a few people over the years. Even if a portion of the current fanbase leaves there will most likely be enough of the existing players left to bring in new ones.

Yep, and I've personally introduced the game to more than a few people over the years. Even if a portion of the current fanbase leaves there will most likely be enough of the existing players left to bring in new ones.

I think it isn't going to be just a portion, but we will have to wait and see.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Why is that the standard? Can’t a person choose not to support WotC for reasons less lofty than “this is a significant world issue”? Some folks don’t like that the company that makes pretend elf games is making it harder for other people to make pretend elf games. They should be allowed to stop buying that company’s pretend elf games without also having to go completely carbon-free or whatever.
I mean, someone can choose to not buybD&D books for any reason they want, like the cover art style doesn't strike their fancy or whatever.

Yaarel

He Mage
You can't be bound to a contract you don't know of. So everyone who has not seen the OGL 1.1 can't be bound by it.
The Anti-OGL says clearly it de-authorizes the OGL 1.0a.

The Anti-OGL is now in effect, January 13.

According to Hasbro-WotC, the OGL 1.0a no longer exists.

It is a unilateral declaration. It doesnt matter if anyone signed it. Hasbro-WotC has a change in policy.

Waiting for the Anti-OGL to come online is part of why Hasbro-WotC has remained silent.

Will the Hasbro-WotC survive court challenges? Likely no.

But it is happening. The litigation war began.

Hasbro-WotC shows zero sign of retracting the Anti-OGL.

Remove ads