Unearthed Arcana Light, Dark, Underdark - November's Unearthed Arcana

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
The difference is you can use those 3 Sorcery points to cast any 2nd level (or 1st, for that matter) spell you know, whereas you're spending 2 points to specifically cast Darkness. You're basically getting a discount because it only works for one specific spell. As TwoSix points out, if it costs the same, it's not really a special class feature and just the designer pointing out that it's something you could do if you wanted to.

I do agree granting an ability a level 1 that you can't actually use until level 2 seems poorly thought-out, though.

Then again, Font of Magic at level 2 is pretty lame in the base sorcerer, since you don't actually get metamagic until level 3. Sure you can burn them for slots, but that's not exactly exciting. At least the Shadow Sorcerer gets an extra option when they get access to the points.

The other half of the 1st-level feature is actually available at level 1, though. At 1st level, you gain darkvision. Once you have sorcery points, you can use 1 point to cast darkness, which you can see through using your darkvision. It was poorly worded, but the feature is still useful at 1st level and is an example of a scaling feature, much like the Tiefling's racial spells.

UA is the place for ideas like these before they get worded better.

...or the fact that the PCs are the main characters of the game, and that "living worlds" are just an excuse to not put actual hard prep work in...

Of course, from the other side, one might say that creating campaign content as a direct reaction to the players is just an excuse to not put actual hard prep work in designing a believable game world ahead of time. ;)

Serpine

Explorer
Of course, from the other side, one might say that creating campaign content as a direct reaction to the players is just an excuse to not put actual hard prep work in designing a believable game world ahead of time. ;)
Heh. I see it as kind of a false premise, like comparing the amount of work that goes into a campaign guide vs module path. They both take a whole lot of work but are just approaching things from a different perspective.

Heh. I see it as kind of a false premise, like comparing the amount of work that goes into a campaign guide vs module path. They both take a whole lot of work but are just approaching things from a different perspective.

Yep. It's pretty much about what sort of campaign appeals to one, and has almost nothing to do with how much work a DM is putting into it.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Has anyone played the Shadow Sorcerer or the Undying Light Warlock? If so what did you think of it?

I'm DMing a Shadow Sorcerer right now. My assessment:

1. Darkvision a nice ability for a human or non-darkvision race.

2. Ability to cast darkness and see through it: Nice at lower levels, but becomes less useful at higher levels when creatures have truesight or blindsight. Not quite as good as devilsight, but very similar in power and effect at lower levels.

3. Hound of Ill Omen: Looks a lot better on paper. Battles don't last long enough for it to provide much of an effect. Highly mobile, especially flying creatures, shrug the hound off easily. It can't fly. It doesn't do much damage. It's not as useful as it looks on paper.

We haven't reached level 14 yet. That ability looks powerful, especially in the Underdark where the party is adventuring. I think the Shadow Sorcerer is well balanced with some interesting and useful abilities.

pkt77242

Explorer
I'm DMing a Shadow Sorcerer right now. My assessment:

1. Darkvision a nice ability for a human or non-darkvision race.

2. Ability to cast darkness and see through it: Nice at lower levels, but becomes less useful at higher levels when creatures have truesight or blindsight. Not quite as good as devilsight, but very similar in power and effect at lower levels.

3. Hound of Ill Omen: Looks a lot better on paper. Battles don't last long enough for it to provide much of an effect. Highly mobile, especially flying creatures, shrug the hound off easily. It can't fly. It doesn't do much damage. It's not as useful as it looks on paper.

We haven't reached level 14 yet. That ability looks powerful, especially in the Underdark where the party is adventuring. I think the Shadow Sorcerer is well balanced with some interesting and useful abilities.

Thank you.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases