• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Light Radius

majustismp15

First Post
It's been a while since I've posted, but our group had a question that we've been houseruling up to this point.
In 4e. Light is described as going out to a radius of x (depending on source). After this radius, is it just assumed that the light outside of this area would be the environment's lighting?
such as: Underground Dungeon normally dark, but with Wizards light spell a 5 square "radius" is bright then it goes to dark blackness.
or
depending on the area of the room (let's say 12 squares by 12 squares), the surrounding squares would be dim light.
Any help would be appreciated (also sorry if I got the light spell's radius wrong, no books here at work;))

I would say for logics sake that within a certain radius outside of a light spell would be dim lighting(light concealment). It would have to be a really long distance before it became total darkness(besides a wall in the way). And since heavily concealed isn't really for lighting, its for fog and foliage and such, I would imagine that any room that has a lit object is going to be either not concealed(within the radius) or lightly concealed(outside the radius).

Its not really covered by the rules specifically though.

Last edited:

kouk

First Post
It is covered by the rules, there is just no more extra radius of dim light that extends past every light source.

I think it is helpful if you consider the radius given to be the effective light range, with it being brighter near the origin and gradually dimming at the extremes of the range. Past the radius of light it is just not enough light to make a difference.

You have to read this like it's your first time at D&D; don't assume there is an extra radius of dim light if it doesn't tell you there is.

Hawke

Explorer
The rogue in my group was sort of bummed out when we learned this... she was pretty stoked about being able to use low-light + dim around the party in certain pre-combat-conversation situations to sneak around to get a better attack...

Stalker0

Legend
The rogue in my group was sort of bummed out when we learned this... she was pretty stoked about being able to use low-light + dim around the party in certain pre-combat-conversation situations to sneak around to get a better attack...

Well she can be happy that she actually sneak attack in dim conditions in 4e!!

As far as light goes, I greatly like the new rules. I HATED lighting conditions in 3e with a firey passion. 4e is cleaner, except for one problem:

Sunrods are insane!! With a 20 square range and fairly inexpensive cost, I can't see a party ever fighting in darkness, meaning that a races low light ability is likely never to get used.

Hawke

Explorer
Well she can be happy that she actually sneak attack in dim conditions in 4e!!

As far as light goes, I greatly like the new rules. I HATED lighting conditions in 3e with a firey passion. 4e is cleaner, except for one problem:

Sunrods are insane!! With a 20 square range and fairly inexpensive cost, I can't see a party ever fighting in darkness, meaning that a races low light ability is likely never to get used.

Agreed... Maybe sunrods could be replaced with "moonlight rods" that give 20 dimlight and make sunrods much more expensive. Oh, okay, now I'm fighting for our Tiefling Rogue a little bit too much...

kouk

First Post
Agreed... Maybe sunrods could be replaced with "moonlight rods" that give 20 dimlight and make sunrods much more expensive. Oh, okay, now I'm fighting for our Tiefling Rogue a little bit too much...

Nobody said you can't invent new items, just ask your DM.

yu gnomi

Explorer
As far as I know, the rules don't go over this as well, but this seems like common sense to me. A light that is far brighter, can also be seen be enemies at a much greater distance. This could be an incentive for parties to rely less on sunrods, and more on point characters who can see without artificial lighting. After all, in a normally dark dungeon how can you miss someone strolling around with a sunrod.

Dalzig

First Post
I think the basic assumption is that if you have LoS, you can see the light. This doesn't make sense in RL-terms, but it works for the game for the most part.

And really, if the DM wants an encounter to find the group, it's gonna find the group unless the DM is playing extremely fair.

Remove ads