Like Father, Like Son: Kid Charlemagne's Story Hour , PT III

Jovah

First Post
time off- players and characters

Well we have not played in 3 weeks- major withdrawal.

The characters have had a few "non-adventure" weeks also. that has not happended since we started going after Kentfield.

Lots of stuff going on. We get to stretch our "high level" a bit.

Ta

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Re: This is the Koolest Story Hour

Big Head Tod Monster said:
This is the best thing I have ever read !!!!

Way better than that hack Piratecat. ;)

I especially like the Jovah character. :D

Watch it there, troll-buddy! I'll take away those extra 65 XP I gave you to let you hit 11th level...

Kid Charlemagne

BTW, I noticed I forgot to mention one somewhat major thing:

Right before going to get Kentfield, Anthius finally came through with a couple of items that he found in trade for Johan's shocking rapier and Corwin's miscellaneous stuff.

He got Gavin a +2 longsword of defending, with the extra added bonus of granting him a +4 on reflex saves;

And he got Corwin a Pearl of Power, whihc allows him to recover a 2nd level spell, once per day, IIRC.

Kid Charlemagne

An Unidentified Island in the Retic Sea, June 28th, AE 420

The battle is ended, and Reana causes the fog to lift, which happens slowly. They survey the area, and see that the people on the beach are in a frenzy, getting back on their ships and sailing away to avoid Kentfield’s fate. The party has defeated Arlen Kentfield, and there isn’t anyone left to deal with here.

They search the bodies of the fallen for magic, finding a pretty significant amount of loot. Jalea finds a locked chest in the area that Kentfield was using as his command post. Dispelling any traps on it, he opens it up to find two of the items that the gnome had told them of; namely, a finely made and engraved ceremonial dagger (brand new), and a velvet glove etched with arcane symbols yet radiating no magic. On Quinn, Jalea finds the biggest diamond he’s ever seen. It’s a round cut diamond, roughly twenty-five carats worth.

“Woo!” the elf exclaims. “A stone like that could bring maybe twenty grand in the right place!”

“Be careful with that,” Aris says. “It radiates conjuration magic.”

“So does the dagger,” Corwin adds. “The two dweomers are practically identical.”

“Let’s get out of here,” Jovah says. “I don’t want to stick around here any longer than I have to.”

They fold to Fencig. They take Kentfield’s head, just to be safe.

Over the next several days, Corwin and Aris do a number of identifys. They figure out what most of the magic items they recover do. The dagger and diamond remain a problem. The diamond defies Corwin’s attempts at idenitification, and to identify the dagger, he would have to touch it without using the glove, which turns out to have magic-suppression powers.

Anything that is held in the hand wearing the glove has it’s magical properties dampened – swords, daggers, wands, small items of various kinds. Since no one wants to defy the gnome’s warning not to touch the dagger, they instead leave it alone, and cast dispel magic on the diamond. It takes a few tries, but eventually, the enchantment on the diamond breaks.

“That’s interesting,” Corwin says. “As soon as the dispel magic on the diamond succeeded, the dagger stopped radiating magic…”

The other items they identify turn out to be:

• Chainshirt +1
  • Scimitar +1
  • Vest of Escape
  • 2 potions of Cure Moderate wounds
  • 1/2 Plate +2
  • Morningstar +1
  • Hand Axe +1
  • Wand of Wonder- 42 charges
  • Ring of Shooting Stars
  • Gloves +3
  • Monk’s Belt
  • 3 +1 Chakrams, 1 of Returning, 1 of Shocking, and 1 of Seeking
  • Ring ofJump
  • 2 Amulets of natural armor +2
  • Bottomless Quiver (Quiver of Ehlonna)
  • Rod of Cats
  • Ring of the Ram
  • Shortsword +1
  • Chain shirt +2
  • 16 arrows +1 Frost

They also found a collection of six tuning forks for use with the plane shift spell, but can only determine what two of them are for (the prime material, and Caer Sidi). They decide not to experiment.

They divy up the magic, and decide to sell a good portion of it, using Anthius as broker. They plan on using the money to commission magic items more suited to their actual needs. They have no pressing concerns, so they take their time – pretty much the entire month of July, in fact.

• Brennen goes to the Academy of the Arts Arcane in Speyer, and commissions a wizard there to boost two +1 longswords he has had for years (and that have religious significance to him, having once belonged to one of the very first Swords of Kelanen) to +2. One of them he also gets enchanted with the frost enhancement. He also commissions a cloak of resistance.
  • Reana decides to spend her hard-earned loot building a small keep in the hills between Hawk’s Roost and Shadow Springs as a waystation for the Rangers, and a back-up base for the party. She arranges with Ryla, the Druidess from Sylvan Fields, to have someone assigned to man the small fort, and watch over the construction process. It will take some time to build, but it should be finished by the end of summer.
  • Gavin takes the fancy set of full plate armor he had made some time ago for courtly purposes, and gets a wizard in Belluin to enchant it to +2, and add the nimbleness enhancement, allowing him full use of his natural quickness.
  • Jovah talks to Cian Bardson, former Regent of Fencig, and Cian points him to a priest of Urakos (god of retribution and law, avenger of the wronged) who can take his magical mace and make it into a holy
  • Aris heads to Cape Varna, and gets an elven wizard to do some work for him. He has a cloak made from the wing material of the Green Dragon that nearly killed Brennen and Gavin so long ago, and he has the wizard imbue it with several powers, most especially resistance and flying (with a 1/day limitation to keep the cost down).
  • Corwin accompanies Aris to Cape Varna and spends the time feverishly transposing spells from Johann’s and Quinn’s captured spellbooks. He has just mastered 5th level spells, and is quite excited about it.
  • If Jalea is up to anything (and he almost always is) he does not let anyone in on the secret. He does let the party know that the Thieves’ Guild situation in Ulfang has devolved into a gang fight, now that their patron has been killed, along with a good portion of the leadership of the Assassin’s Guild.
  • Soldago commissions himself a set of bracers of archery. He also puts a couple of skill points into Climb.

Last edited:

Gavin

First Post
Not only is Gavin covered from head to toe in shiny steel, its also etched and engraved and fancy-pancy. Its like every day is a parade!

Nothing says "low-profile" like masterwork full parade plate. Of course, Aris still has him beat on AC, which he never fails to mention. Stupid elves and their stupid dancey-prancey light armour wearin', Jump +75, uhh....

KidC: You forgot to mention Jovah's new "favor" that he owes. It's starting to feel like a Gnomafia game. Or would that be cosa gnomstra ?

p.s. I also like my shiny new sword. God bless that reflex save boost.

Last edited:

Jovah

First Post
Gavin said:
Nothing says "low-profile" like masterwork full parade plate. Of course, Aris still has him beat on AC, which he never fails to mention. Stupid elves and their stupid dancey-prancey light armour

That is only if he has a chance to cast spells - mainly shield

If you are both just standing around ya' got'im beet.

KidC: You forgot to mention Jovah's new "favor" that he owes. It's starting to feel like a Gnomafia game. Or would that be cosa gnomstra ?

I don't think Jovah owes any other favors. He has done several favors for some upper class types- dukes, kings, merchant guild.

Favors are more powerful than armories or treasuries.

Last edited:

Kid Charlemagne

The Fox Club, August 3rd, AE 420

During the month or so of relative inactivity, the majority of the party meets with Count Cortez in Belluin to bring him up to speed on Lord Kentfield’s activities. The Count thanks them profusely, and takes over the job of making sure that the mass graves at the old Kentfield estate are emptied and properly interred, back on Ghithorian soil. Upon hearing of their plans to visit Augrim, he advises them to lay low.

“Ekozius is handling the defense of the town,” he says. “He has some sort of agreement with the Duke, or perhaps has used some influence on him to gain a base of operations.”

“We’ll just be there for a little while,” Jovah says. “Drop off the scrolls, and leave.”

“Maybe check out the horse markets before we leave,” Gavin adds hopefully, wanting to take advantage of what is considered the pre-eminent horse breeders in the eastern world. He’s been thinking of starting up a horse ranch in Shadow Springs to breed warhorses.

When the party finally regroups in Fencig, Jovah folds them to the edge of the Forest of Malboria, just north of Augrim. Soldago looks around a little uneasily, prompting a look from Jovah.

“I’m sure the stories of the Forest being haunted are just stories,” Soldago explains nervously.

“Great,” Jovah replies.

Haunted or not, they have no problems until they reach the North Gate of Augrim. There, sitting in what little shade can be found in the blistering August sun, they find a Lieutenant of Elros Ekozius’ Red Flame Elite guard commanding the Gate. He does not seem to notice who passes by his post, as the party has taken care to disguise themselves.

They tell the guards that they are here to purchase horses at the market, and Jovah says they are from Amberg, picking a nearby city off the top of his head.

The Augrim guards motion the party on, as the lieutenant sips on a cool drink, trying to stay warm in the oppressive heat.

“Can you point me to the Scrivner’s Guild?” Jovah asks the guard, who looks at him blankly. The guard shrugs unhelpfully.

“How about the horse market?” Gavin asks.

“Center of town. You can’t miss it, just follow your nose,” the guard replies.

“Did you have to say Amberg, Jovah?” Brennen asks. “That’s where Xavier is from.”

“Xavier?” Gavin says questioningly. “The guy who handed your ass to you?”

Brennen glares at the horseman.

The city of Augrim is a large, dusty, old settlement on the edge of the Plains of Nali. Along its western side runs the Great River, the longest continuously navigable river known to the sages. The city is far more spread out than any of the cities in Ghithor, with a crumbling thirty foot tall wall surrounding the baked mud hovels of the poor and the grand stone dwellings of the rich.

The Scrivner’s Guild turns out to be a couple of blocks just off the main town square and bazaar. The square bakes in the 95 degree heat, and is filled with the sounds of merchants selling their wares. The smell of the horses is unmistakeable in this weather, and Jovah tries to hold his nose.

“Ugh! Lovely…” he says.

The Guild building is a two story stone affair, solidly built, but not appearing to be terribly rich or powerful.

“Tell me again why we’re bringing these scrolls here?” Jalea asks.

“Because the servant of Bes told me to,” Jovah replies. “I’m not really sure why.”

“Maybe this is the kind of place that the worship of the Murkraal Gods could really take off?” Brennen ponders. He stops a man walking past the door of the Guild.

“What’s the biggest church here in town?”

“Uh, that would probably be the Church of Reksus,” the man replies. “Although the Temple of Marlak is quite powerful as well…”

“Reksus.” Jovah states drily. “This is getting better and better.”

Gavin

First Post
“Xavier?” Gavin says questioningly. “The guy who handed your ass to you?”

Uh...I just sorta blurted it out. It must have been the spirit of Gavin speaking through me. And then I hear KidC chuckling evilly and writing in his notebook. I'll have to watch my mouth from now on. You never know what could end up in the Story Hour.

It seems that party members are competing for rank in the "infamous incidents" category.

Gavin: Beat up by a girl, falling down walls, getting all worked up to joust an orc
Brennen: unplanned watersports, unwise swordfights, sticky peace bonds, horse-killing
Aris: catching rocks, using monsters as gymnastics equipment
Corwin: chum buckets, absolute blindness and deafness
Jalea: Too numerous to mention
Jovah:Inopportune paralysis, incomplete disclosure of divinations, Reksus-baiting, turning into fish
Soldago: inability to climb 6 foot fences
Reanna: Extremely poor horse-trade negotiations, wrestling party members, jumping off balconies with said party members

Well they say that every hero has tragic flaws....

Remove ads