Level Up (A5E) Limited Range Maneuvers

Faolyn

(she/her)
A nice idea, both to combat this issue but also for people that want a little of LU's complexity, but don't want to go all the way. Some people just like having their one thing that they are really good at, and this would allow you to bring back some simplicity.

That said, you might consider restricting it to the level ranges the fighter allows it, else it might open the door on some combos that aren't possible now, but suddenly with specialization might be OP.
That sounds good to me. Fighters get specialization at 3rd, 7th, 11th, and 15th level for free. As it turns out, all the martial classes gain new maneuvers at those levels, which makes it a good time to choose whether they want to learn a new maneuver or beef up an existing one. The ability could simply copy fighter specialization (-1 to cost, +1 to DC) instead of doing anything about damage like I had initially said. Or perhaps anyone, including fighters, could also spend a maneuver slot on a previously specialized maneuver to also increase the damage by 1/2 PB (or whatever).

This would mean that a fighter could give up one maneuver slot, and everyone else could give up two maneuver slots, to really specialize (need a better name) in a single maneuver. I don't think that many people will use this ability except for those who really want to be good with one particular style--like ranged fighters. This might make ranged combatants pretty strong, but would also make them weaker in melee combat.

Remove ads