D&D 5E Limiting Cantrips?

You could always remove Cantrips entirely and sprinkle more Wands into treasure. It's a little more bookkeeping tracking charges, but you can spice things up with higher level cantrip wands. Imagine finding a nice 5th level Firebolt Wand with 4 charges per day, an 11th level Frost Bolt Wand with 2 charges per day, and wand of Prestidigitation that can clean a whole 20x20 room with 1 charge per day. The party can pass them around, mix and match, use them sparingly, and you can modify the cantrips to make them more unique and flavorful.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Aren't you making them 1/2 fighters at that point, however?

It is a delicate balance.
IMO not if:

A. They fall back on weapons when magic is not needed or not available,
B. They don't use magic (at least not primarily) to augment weapon attacks of their own, and
C. They have no (or very few) other features that have anything to do with weapon attacks.

There are always exceptions, of course, like I imagine a War Domain cleric being better at weapon attacks then they are in RAW. Giving them a fighting style or something would make sense. They aren't 1/2 fighters, but certainly something akin to a counter to EK and 1/3-fighters instead of 1/3-casters. I see the Bladesinger as a 1/3-caster as well.

Aldarc

Legend
There’s an OSR game called Beyond the Wall, where casters have at-will cantrips but each casting requires a check. Failing the check means either a) no more magic for the rest of the day or b) you botch the cantrip and cause a negative result.
I like how BtWaOA as well as TSL separate magic into Cantrips, Spells, and Rituals. It also meant that some classes got Cantrips and Rituals, but not Spells while some classes get Spells but neither Cantrips nor Rituals.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I like how BtWaOA as well as TSL separate magic into Cantrips, Spells, and Rituals. It also meant that some classes got Cantrips and Rituals, but not Spells while some classes get Spells but neither Cantrips nor Rituals.
Yea, the BtW chassis is a great lightweight system that feels like D&D but has some real innovation. Probably the only thing I don't like is they kept the old-school saves.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Bwhat and TShuh?
🤧

Bless you!

Remove ads