Linking feats/ability improvements to Character level, any good reasons not to?

Satyrn

First Post
Were I to do something like this, I'd probably rewrite the classes so that the ASIs they get at 4th and 8th can't be traded for feats.

Then I'd hand out a small number of feats based on character level, probably at levels 2, 6, and 10. Why not 1st? I'm guessing I'd like the players to get at least a brief feel for their character before they get a feat. But these feats coukd come at whatever rate, at whatever levels make sense to theDM implementing it.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
I agree with the folks who say that there IS a reason for how the system is built, but I have a thought for the OP. Your line of thought seems to be built mainly around characters’ access to feats. Since the ASI/feats system is based largely on feats being optional (the core system assuming that those class ASI slots are only used for ASIs), why not just separate the two? Keep the class-level ASI slots for attribute advancement (keeping the decision point on single/multi-classing over delaying of attribute score leveling) as it is, but add bonus feats at given character levels (while not allowing feat purchases at class-level ASI breaks). This lets characacters all get interesting feats regardless of class choices while still having a “cost” in the choices over multiclassing. Meanwhile, while characters end up being more powerful this way, it’s easy enough to simply bump up the challenge level of monsters and dungeons to compensate (while the extended range of abilities from the new feats gives the DM an increased range of threats to use against the party).

G

Guest 6801328

In tinkering around with interesting builds I've noticed that quite frequently I'm forced to choose between the ideal combination of class abilities and one more ASI/feat. I think this is intentional, and i think it's good design. We should not be able to get everything we want. Without trade-offs there wouldn't really be any choices.

Satyrn

First Post
Well, look at that, [MENTION=777]AmerginLiath[/MENTION]! We have the same idea and post it at the same time!

You'd have been first if you'd been a little less wordy. :p

FieserMoep

Explorer
At this point I think plenty of good reasons have been given.
Its a balance mechanic and getting that ASI on level 4 is just as much a class feature as is anything else. You want that feature? You level up to that point, you don't want it, don't level to that point and don't get it.

If you don't want the minimal veil of "balance" in DnD5e intact on your table, don't change it. If you want to let everything lose and get super powerful PCs, houserule away.

On a side note:
Eberron Archetypes Heroes of the Five Nations has the Factotum Feat which is designed to give MC heavy builds a streamlined access to ASIs and Feats.

Remove ads