• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

List of All Settings?

Psion

Adventurer
Yair said:
Just how big is that book? Does the setting include its own deities, cosmology, and so on?

Yes. In fact, this was a stumbling block for me in importing it into another world. Praemal has some pretty specific assumptions that reflect on the city.

DMH

First Post
Psion said:
Warcraft is basically a D&D setting/adaptation. World of Warcraft is a stand alone book like Arcana Evolved.

That I did not know. Since I got all the WC books I wanted, I never got into WoW.

Voadam

Legend
Yair said:
Just how big is that book? Does the setting include its own deities, cosmology, and so on? Does the book detail the regions to the degree that, say, FRCS details one of the less-detailed regions in it?

Don't own it so I couldn't say.

Here is the description blurb though:

PT2: A 57-page illustrated sourcebook by Monte Cook

Ptolus is an exciting city, but in order to truly understand the place, one has to understand its context, both in relation to the world around it and to the events that have come before now -- even those that occurred before the city existed.

This book contains a wealth of detail to establish the background of Ptolus. You’ll learn about the world of Praemal: the lands around Ptolus, the languages spoken there, and more. You’ll discover new facts about the races of the Ptolus Campaign. You’ll read about the creation of the world and its relationship to other worlds and planes, as well as about the various gods -- especially the most popular, the god Lothian. And finally, you’ll delve deeply into the ten-thousand-year history of Praemal, discovering many amazing and significant events.

Yair

Community Supporter
DMH said:
You missed the point. It is meant to be a setting and not a planet (and there is enough setting material to use).
Hmm. Sounds more like a mini-setting than a setting, really.

The Hunt: Rise of Evil from MEG
The Secondworld Sourcebook
Nyambe
Broncosaurus Rex
Warcraft and World of Warcraft
Dreadmire details a setting that isn't a planet
Green Ronin's Mytic Vistas line
Didn't Mongoose have a Ancient World setting?
Are these all for D&D? I'm looking for D&D settings, not d20 settings. I guess the test is whether you can take a PH & DMG D&D character and run it by the D&D rules - perhaps only some classes or races, perhaps you'll need some rule additions (like action points) or some different gear options, but if it's a D&D game the D&D character should more or less fit. I don't know most of these products, but I suspect in places like Nyambe or Hamuneptra a D&D character would not fit at all.

Yair

Community Supporter
Voadam said:
Each one is different and presents different cosmologies and sometimes the same areas done differently. For instance War in Helios Egypt is very different from the Atlantean Egypt where the Atlanteans created cat-people soldiers to conquer the Egyptian empire.

Ragnarok has a mortal world section composed of basically four kingdoms that comprise the whole world. It has options to play as mortals or as (very weak) gods who use standard classes with a few added on restrictions. Doom of Odin expands the setting with Nidavellir and Jotunheim material.
Hmm, well, that sounds like several different worlds then, doesn't it? I'll write each down. I don't remember Ragnarork! as being much of a D&D setting, though, but perhaps my memory fails me...

Psion said:
Yes. In fact, this was a stumbling block for me in importing it into another world. Praemal has some pretty specific assumptions that reflect on the city.
Sounds like a stand-alone world (setting) to me.

Voadam

Legend
Frost and Fur presents some different cold based settings within it based off of different earth cultures as well, one take from greek myths, one from norse, etc.

DMH

First Post
Yair said:
Are these all for D&D? I'm looking for D&D settings, not d20 settings. I guess the test is whether you can take a PH & DMG D&D character and run it by the D&D rules - perhaps only some classes or races, perhaps you'll need some rule additions (like action points) or some different gear options, but if it's a D&D game the D&D character should more or less fit. I don't know most of these products, but I suspect in places like Nyambe or Hamuneptra a D&D character would not fit at all.

Nyambe is D&D- that is what disgusted people when it first came out (square peg, round hole). Second World is D&D mixed with d20 Modern, but it is written is such a way that it could be used with one or the other alone. Warcraft (which is 3.0) and The Hunt are pure D&D as is Spiros Blaak and Dreadmire. As for the last two- out many parties stomp all over a planet and visit every continent and archepelago? Detailing a single part of a world shouldn't decrease the value of the setting. I honestly don't know about Green Ronin's books and ignore my suggestions for Brex and Mongoose's book.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads