D&D 3E/3.5 List of Problem 3.5e spells? Where?

Nail

First Post
Camarath said:
I think that the new Freedom of Movement spell is a problem, specifically .....
Huh.

I guess I can't see the problem; it's a 4th level spell, after all, of rather limited utility. Care to elaborate? Experiences?

Nail

First Post
Intrope said:
.... Using Spell-like abilities doesn't cost the creature XP.

Actually, now that I think about this, this make Efreet-gating even more abusive: Gate 2 Efreets, get 6 wishes, wish for 6 rings of 3 wishes. Net: 18 wishes. Now you get 3 and a half +5 inherent bonuses per 1000xp!
Ouch.

I wish it would say somewhere that Called creatures can't use abilities that cost XP. Summoned creatures already have that restriction.

Storm Raven

First Post
Nail said:
Again, nice try.

The spell description, OTOH, disagrees with you.

"A controlled creature can be commanded to perform a service for you."

No "Efreet agreement" required.

Wrong. It can be commanded to provide an immediate service, like helping in a combat. Anything other than an immediate service requires compensation, similar to that required for lesser planar ally (which is specifically mentioned in the spell). Any use of an ability that requires the expenditure of experience points is not an "immediate service".

So, yes, efreet agreement is required.

Nail

First Post
Storm Raven said:
Wrong. It can be commanded to provide an immediate service, like helping in a combat.

Arg.

Look: How is helping in combat any more immediate than granting a wish (1 standard action)?

No wait: let's get back on topic, please.

Storm Raven

First Post
Intrope said:
Well, not actually. You see, if the task you want can be done in 1 round/caster level or less (and using a spell-like ability 3 times would take only 3 rounds), it's an immediate task--you command them, they do it, no negotiations, no payment. If it takes longer, you've got to bargain with them (and pay them).

Nope. Use of spell-like abilities to mimic spells that require experience point costs are never immediate tasks. Sorry.

Cyber

First Post
Nail said:
I'd happily spend 1000xp * 5 for a +5 inherent bonus, rather than 5000xp * 5. If you'd allow that.....can I join your game? :)

As for Balor Mining:
  • Shapechange into a Balor.
  • Drop your vorpal sword.
  • The vorpal sword does not dissapear when your spell ends. Read the spell description where it says: "Parts of your body or pieces of equipment that are separated from you do not revert to their original forms." Show said piece to yer DM.
  • Laugh hysterically.
  • Change into another balor, with another vorpal sword.
  • Repeat once per round for the duration of the spell.
  • Ponder who will buy all of these vorpal swords....

....Tip o' the hat to the Trollmeister, FrankT. He may not have come up with it, but I learned it from him.

The sword is an SU ability. When the balor goes or the spell ends the sword goes too.
Also the spell is just like polymorph meaning you can only take on one form for the spell. You can't change forms, except to change back to your true form in which case the spell ends.

Storm Raven

First Post
Nail said:
Look: How is helping in combat any more immediate than granting a wish (1 standard action)?

Easy. It mimics a spell that requires an experience point cost. Hence, it is more than an "immediate task like helping in combat."

Hardhead

Explorer
Storm Raven said:
Nope. Use of spell-like abilities to mimic spells that require experience point costs are never immediate tasks. Sorry.

Can you cite the rule you're quoting? It takes one standard action. It doesn't cost the efreet any XP. I wouldn't allow it, but from a pure reading of the rules, it seems to work.

Last edited:

ciaran00

Explorer
Nail said:
Nice try at solving the problem, but this too will fail.

If items and peices cease to exist when the spell ends, extrodinary abilities like poison and disease will also cease to exist when the spell ends.

The spell does NOT say the peices or items dissapear when the spell ends. The spell implies quite the opposite.
Of course they cease to exist. You can't CURE people anymore. Doesn't mean that time reverses and they don't get cured in the past because the spell ran out. See the distinction? Next point, please.

ciaran

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases