• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Literary (and other) settings wishlist

Henrix

Explorer
Seeing that my current favourites are already mentioned, I'll just reiterate them:

Zothique, by Clark Ashton Smith - because, well, it is a wonderful world, full of necromancers and stuff. Very heady stuff.

Malazan, by Steven Erikson - an intense world, and would fit very well with D&D4!

Eosin the Red

First Post
  • I'd like to see a good treatment of The Lies of Lock Lamora.
  • Also, a good treatment of Elantris by Brandon Sanderson - the magic of that world rocks.
  • Last but not least would be David Gimmell's Drenai world.
  • I'm already getting George R.R. Martins Song of Ice and Fire by Green Ronin so I can scratch that one off the list.
  • Ditto with The Wheel of Time even if that magic system left a little to be desired.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Oo, good call. But yeah, 4e might be a stretch. Hm. Unknown Armies?

But to stay on topic, I'd rather see it for 4e than for nothing at all.

And the world of Arcanum, from the old computer RPG (from Black Isle? can't remember).

Arcanum was from Troika, rest the soul of that mighty and awesome group. Sadly, while an Arcanum-based pen and paper would be awesomely fun, 4e's mechanics are just about the opposite of how Arcanum works.

Draksila

First Post
Skarpsey, of Elizabeth Boyer's Wizard War series and associated books. Yes, they're kind of pulp Norse fantasy, but I loved those books when I was a kid and the division between the harsh Norse setting and the world of the fae elves would be fairly simple to emulate in 4E, I think.

drothgery

First Post
Brust's Vlad Taltos books have already been mentioned, as has the Wheel of Time (which needs an update from the original game after Sanderson finishes Memory of Light). If it's possible to get Rowling to change her mind on RPGs in the Harry Potter world now that the series is done, I'd say that would be great.

Naomi Novik's Temeraire books -- Napoleonic wars with dragons.

David Weber and Linda Evans' Hell's Gate -- magical earth with psuedo-medieval tech vs. psionic earth with 1880s tech across a string of (mostly) uninhabitted mirror earths linked by portals.

Set

First Post
My absolute favorite fantasy settings, Midkemia and Kelewan, are already part of Tekumel, as far as I know.

Most fantasy MMOs have richly detailed worlds.

Norrath, from EverQuest, has already been touched upon, but the worlds of Shadowbane and Dark Ages of Camelot would also be interesting to see.

Remove ads