• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Little Wishes

BenjaminB

First Post
I'm playing with an idea which will give Wizards & Sorcerers a fair boost in power, but which is seperate from normal level progression.

Esentially I'm toying with the old idea od lesser wishes- one Wish for each spell level. Each little wish acts as sort of a magical source-code for spells of the previous level- unlike a full-blown Wish spell, they only allow you to duplicate spells from the previous spell levels of which you know. For example, the 1st level Little Wish would allow you to duplicate the effects of any 0-level cantrip.

Knowledge of specific spells is still importiant, because using little wishes to duplicate spells is inefficient, however it deoes provide some serious flexibility.

However, I can't figure out the best way to control access to such spells... they are meant to represent in-game prizes more valuable than any mundane treasure. Wizards can hunt for them and learn them... but how to keep Sorcerer players from just snagging each little wish as they advance in level?

I was considering linking each little wish to an artafact- you must ritually consume the thing if you are a Sorcerer to add it to your spells, or if a wizard, you must decosntruct the thing and tease out its secrets. Not sure though.

Any sugestions for implementing something like this, and controlling it somewhat?

Thanks

-Ben

seasong

First Post
Wish has an XP cost. No reason why this wouldn't. Maybe not as onerous a cost, but... how about (spell level -1) squared x 2 XP to cast? Or you could round it (paranthetical below):

1: 1 XP (leave at 1 XP)
2: 2 XP (leave at 2 XP)
3: 8 XP (could round to 10 XP)
4: 18 XP (could round to 20 XP)
5: 32 XP (could round to 30 XP)
6: 50 XP (leave at 50 XP)
7: 72 XP (could round to 75 XP)
8: 98 XP (could round to 100 XP)
9: 128 XP (could round to 125 XP)

You could also tack on a Full Round Casting to the spell, or perhaps a material component worth 50 GP per spell level mimicked.

To keep sorcerers from just snagging the spell, call it a "prestige spell", and make up some in-character things that must be roleplayed out in order to qualify for it.

Amadan

First Post
There was in issue of Dragon several years ago that had a variety of limited wishes in it (lost now of course). Some of their suggestions were to limit duration (one day, one week), or time the wish was active (only during the day, only under a full moon).

Another was wish fulfillment through most logical means (style of the Monkeys Paw). If you wish for gold it doesn't just appear, something happens and you find / are given it. Possibly w. negative consequenses attatched.

BenjaminB

First Post
Hmmm. Yeah a feat would make more sense, since it borders on the metamagical, and that would control access to it pretty handily.

Good good.

Thanks

-Ben

Pyrex

First Post
Hmm, working off the 'Feat' concept, how about something
like the following? The +1lvl is a bit harsh, but the feat(s)
is hugely flexible.

Flexible Arcana [Metamagic]
PreReq: ???
Special: This feat may be taken up to three times.
The first time taken it only applies to spells up to 3rd
level. The second up to 6th, the third up to ninth.

Benefit: When casting a Flexible spell the caster may
choose to have the spell emulate any lower-level
spell of the same school instead of the spells normal
effect.

A flexible spell requres a spell slot one (1) level higher
than normal.

Example: Bob the Wizard memorizes a Flexible 'Fly'
spell in a fourth level slot. When cast, Bob either recieves
the benefit of the 'Fly' spell or can instantly swap it for
any 2nd level or lower Transmutation spell.

SpuneDagr

Explorer
The PDF book, Elements of Magic (which I ADORE) has a wish for every level.

ALTER REALITY
Level XPCost MxSpllLvl RmvMndAffctng CreateItem Ability+
0 - 0 0 10gp -
1 50 0 1st 50gp -
2 100 1st 2nd 125gp -
3 150 2nd 3rd 250gp +1
4 200 3rd 4th 500gp +1
5 250 4th 5th 1,250gp +1
6 300 5th 6th 2,500gp +2
7 350 6th 7th 5,000gp +2
8 400 7th 8th 12,500gp +2
9 500 8th 9th 25,000gp +3
(forgive the formatting - I can't figure this thing out)

You can duplicate any spell. The maximum spell level you can duplicate is given in the table. It costs experience according to the next column.

You can remove any mind-affecting spell or effect up the maximum level indicated.

You can instantly create any item, even a magic item. The XP cost to do so is 1 xp per 10gp of the item cost.

You can instantly give an inherent ability bonus to one ability score. Each point costs 2,500 xp.

Other effects: You can attempt to wish for just about anything with this spell. The DM is final arbiter as to whether it will work or not. In general, other effects will cost 10 times as much xp as Duplicating a spell (as per the table).
Example: You wish for a Staff of Power. You teleport into the presence of the current owner of such a staff. Such a teleportation is as least a 5th-level spell, so the spell fails outright if using the 0-4th level versions. If it succeeds, it costs 2,500xp (10x normal).

This book totally rocks. Every spell in it can be cast at any level. You should really check it out.

SpuneDagr

skymage

Explorer
what about a prestige class? use a roleplaying prereq and you have an easy way to control it. have it give access to 1 spell per level.
level 1 = wish 0 aka presdigitation (my favorite cantrip)
level 2 = wish 1
level 3 = wish 2
level 4 = wish 3
level 5 = wish 4
level 6 = wish 5
level 7 = wish 6
level 8 = wish 7
level 9 = wish 8
level 10 = wish 9

d4 hp
1/2 bab
poor fort ,reflex
good will

+1 spell caster level (+2/3 levels if you think this is a strong class)

and define limits and costs to each one

wish 0 no xp
wish 1 20 xp
wish 2 39 xp
wish 3 78 xp
wish 4 156 xp
wish 5 312 xp
wish 6 625 xp
wish 7 1250 xp
wish 8 2500 xp
wish 9 5000 xp

all wishes can
duplicate a non prohibited* arcane spell of one level lower
duplicate a prohibited* arcane spell of two levels lower
duplicate any non prohibited* spell of 3 levels lower
duplicate any spell of 4 levels lower

*prohibited means any spell from a school prohibited by secialization

give gp cost for items that can be created and maybe one or 2 special things that each one can do

wish 1 can make a weapon masterwork
wish 2 can give a +20 insight bonus to your next skill check
wish 3 can give a 24 hour +4 enhancement bonus to a stat
wish 4 can do 1d6/level of typeless damage in a 20 ft area at long range (aka sonic substituted fireball except that it is truly typless)
wish 5 can make a spell with a duration last 24 hours
wish 6 can duplicate any extrodinary ability for 10 mins or the normal duration which ever is less
wish 7 is like limited wish but maybe a little stronger cause it costs more
wish 8 can duplicate a supernatural ability of a monster for 10 mins or the normal duration of the ability which ever is less
wish 9 is in the PHB

the uses and the xp cost are just guesses and have no playtesting to back them up. although i have been trying to balance the idea of 10 wishes the big problem is the xp cost to duplicate spells wish a level 9 spell costs 5000 xp but limited wish costs 300 xp with such a large difference for only 2 spell levels i have no idea as to what the costs of the extreme flexibility should be.

just to let you know i wanted to add this as a class ability of the sorcerer getting one at every other level starting with prestigitation at level 2 and ending with wish at level 20, but i didn't know how to add these spells to spells known without making the sorcerer to powerful so i thought that xp was the only logical option but i have have no idea what is to much or to little.

wizards can also learn to cast the wish spells by scribing them in his spell book.

Remove ads