D&D 5E Live Streaming Slavelords - 7/19/2013

zoroaster100

First Post
Are these available for viewing after the fact? If so, can someone please provide the link to the second session and/or the third? Or are they only available to be viewed live?

MortalPlague

Adventurer
That was not the main selling point of GoDsC.
I don't know, I thought it was a pretty big selling point.

All the people around here who were saying they'd buy a set of the rules that were printed? I know I would, if I had the chance. It's been a pain trying to run my campaign with PDFs.

heptat

Explorer
I know WOTC pretty well...

How do you know them (any better than anyone else who doesn't work for them)?

...and unless I miss my guess, they've pretty much got the idea of where they are going with the game and no longer need feedback from the players. Plus, they are paranoid about piracy and likely don't want to print a playtest that contains rules TOO close to the ones they actually intend to publish because it might be too easy for someone to manually edit the playtest document to be the same as the published version.

So, they'll publish the "current" rules in a special edition book for GenCon and then likely not release another playtest at all. Possibly because they plan on announcing a release date sometime soon.

Yeah, this wouldn't surprise me at all.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
I don't know, I thought it was a pretty big selling point.

All the people around here who were saying they'd buy a set of the rules that were printed? I know I would, if I had the chance. It's been a pain trying to run my campaign with PDFs.

The way I see it GoDsC is ment to be a collector item, a snap shot in time for the D&DNext playtest process with places for folks (presumably the developers if you run into them) to sign and add comments.

Warder

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
How do you know them (any better than anyone else who doesn't work for them)?
A combination of reading and following everything they do. Also, I volunteered for the RPGA for about 5 years. I was on a mailing list where we'd periodically get insight from WOTC people. Even when they didn't deliver news to us directly, the Circle in Living Greyhawk and Global Admins in Living Forgotten Realms tended to pass the information to us. Which included having beta access to 4e and getting a couple of panels specifically for us at D&D Experience. I'm not saying I understand everything they do, but I think I've developed a little bit of insight into their decision making process.

heptat

Explorer
A combination of reading and following everything they do. Also, I volunteered for the RPGA for about 5 years. I was on a mailing list where we'd periodically get insight from WOTC people. Even when they didn't deliver news to us directly, the Circle in Living Greyhawk and Global Admins in Living Forgotten Realms tended to pass the information to us. Which included having beta access to 4e and getting a couple of panels specifically for us at D&D Experience. I'm not saying I understand everything they do, but I think I've developed a little bit of insight into their decision making process.

Fair enough!

Well, I certainly agreed with your assessment of what they are doing and going to do with the play test material. I read an interesting comment from another game company doing a play test saying they just didn't want to make it public because they don't believe they get as good data. The whole exercise by WotC has probably been for PR.

I genuinely hope they produce a game I want to play (I'm closer to the OSR camp than the 4e camp), but if not, fortunately there are plenty of other options.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
Fair enough!

Well, I certainly agreed with your assessment of what they are doing and going to do with the play test material. I read an interesting comment from another game company doing a play test saying they just didn't want to make it public because they don't believe they get as good data. The whole exercise by WotC has probably been for PR.

I genuinely hope they produce a game I want to play (I'm closer to the OSR camp than the 4e camp), but if not, fortunately there are plenty of other options.

I very much disagree with both of you, many of the changes in the public playtest have been directly derived from the surveys, and I don't thing that it's been a purely PR stunt, they have expanded a lot of resources on this for this to be just a PR stunt.

I also disagree with your assessment that the next packet will be the last one, I don't think that the game will be out before next year, I don't think that they feel its ready yet and I don't think that they'll rush it out after gencon, it's just doesn't make any sense.

Warder

Warbringer

Explorer
It's my theory that this new version is the one that will end up being printed in Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle(or at least a version that they locked down recently). It will also likely be released publicly just before GenCon starts.

Greg/Chris actually say at the end of the streamed session that next playtest is being released in 2-3 weeks, so right before GenCon... My guess is that is the version in Dragonspear, which is still a little older (probably late May) playtest rules.

I think there are two more packages that will be released with all the tweaks discussed, summoning and companion rules (action economy stuff around control), sorcerer/warlock, fixed math math and multicalssing (which I put money on is going to be a megafeat).

Remove ads