D&D 5E Live Streaming Slavelords - 7/19/2013

Warbringer

Explorer
Interesting comment .. they are playing the "public playtest" which is a bout 2-3 versions earlier than their current development cycle.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Interesting comment .. they are playing the "public playtest" which is a bout 2-3 versions earlier than their current development cycle.
Yeah, from everything that's been said by them it's fairly evident that the newest playtest their using includes the ability score increase/swapping them for feats rules. They include the new, stronger feats. They include the rules for needing "safe" places to rest in order to get back full hitpoints. They likely include a whole new Rogue class and likely a bunch of fighter changes to make up for the new feat system. Also, it likely includes a couple more classes.

It's my theory that this new version is the one that will end up being printed in Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle(or at least a version that they locked down recently). It will also likely be released publicly just before GenCon starts.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
It's my theory that this new version is the one that will end up being printed in Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle(or at least a version that they locked down recently). It will also likely be released publicly just before GenCon starts.

That's worth hoping for. We all can imagine the collectible value of such a product if it comes out with a full set of (early, not-yet-finalized) rules and is branded as "D&D Next" on the cover.

Over time, the collectible value of that item will increase, but its playability value will diminish -- that's my prediction.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
They're playing the Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle rules, which are a few steps ahead of the public packet and a few steps behind the versions they're working on internally.

What I'm interested in is where the next public packet will be, relative to that. I imagine it'll be a few steps ahead of the rules they're playing in the livestream, but still quite a ways behind the internal versions of today.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
What I'm interested in is where the next public packet will be, relative to that. I imagine it'll be a few steps ahead of the rules they're playing in the livestream, but still quite a ways behind the internal versions of today.
Well, their big claim on the page for Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle was that it came with the "most current" version of the rules. I suspect that the rules in Ghosts of Dragonspear will become the new public playtest rules and will be released nearly simultaneously online.

That way people who aren't going to GenCon and can't buy the book won't be annoyed and complain about how you had to pay $30 in order to get the most up to date rules. Also, they can't release a newer version of the rules online for playtest because that'll annoy all the people who paid $30 to get the most up to date version of the rules.

In fact, if I was to wager, not only will the next version of the playtest rules come out right before GenCon and will be in sync with those printed in the book. But I suspect that's the last playtest we'll see for a LONG time. Probably at least the rest of the year. Possibly the last playtest we see ever.

I know WOTC pretty well, and unless I miss my guess, they've pretty much got the idea of where they are going with the game and no longer need feedback from the players. Plus, they are paranoid about piracy and likely don't want to print a playtest that contains rules TOO close to the ones they actually intend to publish because it might be too easy for someone to manually edit the playtest document to be the same as the published version.

So, they'll publish the "current" rules in a special edition book for GenCon and then likely not release another playtest at all. Possibly because they plan on announcing a release date sometime soon.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Well, their big claim on the page for Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle was that it came with the "most current" version of the rules.
"Most current" as of April, when it was written.
Also, they can't release a newer version of the rules online for playtest because that'll annoy all the people who paid $30 to get the most up to date version of the rules.
I really don't think that's true at all. That was not the main selling point of GoDsC.

Last edited:

Remove ads