Living Forgotten Realms ....... Virginia gets Aglarond? Yeesh.....

Cyronax

Explorer
So I live in Northern Virginia (a 15 min. drive to the D&D Experience :p ).

That's part of the southeast Living Forgotten Realms, and I got AGLAROND! Maryland and DC, along with the rest of the Northeast got Cormyr. Plus, in Living Greyhawk Va, MD, and DC were part of one region, Geoff, in part due to their close proximity.

I'm a little miffed, especially because a lot of gamers that I know are from Maryland. Is anyone else disappointed about their LFR Region? Does anyone know if the restrictions for traveling player characters between different regions is as severe as it was in Living Greyhawk?

Also, has anyone heard what effects the Spell Plague had on Aglarond? No one at the convention seemed to know much, other than the Simbul was still around and Thay was still Aglarond's enemy. Oh, and half-elves are aplenty in the Yuirwood (groan).

C.I.D.

pedr

Explorer
I don't think we're going to get much info on the post-Spellplague Realms until much closer to the release of the FRCS at GenCon, although there are some Countdown to the Realms articles on the WotC website. I don't have enough generic Realms knowledge to know where the places mentioned in those articles are, though, so can't tell you whether any of them say lots about Aglarond.

In terms of play restrictions, it's been made clear that you can play adventures from every region, no matter where you are in the world. The true 'purpose' of regions is unclear at the moment. It could be as simple as dividing the workload of adventure-writing and plotting to a dedicated team for each region. I am predicting that there will also be special convention-only modules released specifically for conventions in each region, so you might only get to play special events set in Aglarond unless you travel to another region. Apart from that, you should be able to play everything, whether face to face or online (using the D&D Insider tools or any online tabletop of your choice).

Voss

First Post
Heh. I could think of worse regions to get. And think of it as being liberated from those pesky northerners :)

I can't think of any Aglarond specific spell plague effects, but there have to be some, what with Thay exploding into one giant mountain now. Might get some new landscape too, from the sea partially draining into the underdark. (At least I think it was that sea, and not one of the others.).

Nymrohd

First Post
Actually Aglarond should be completely shielded from the Spellplague. The Yuirwood at its whole is enclosed by a massive high magic effect, a mythal-like remnant from the great work of the Star Elves in creating Sildeyuir. Stable magical effects protect an area from the Spellplague.

Glyfair

Explorer
Cyronax said:
That's part of the southeast Living Forgotten Realms, and I got AGLAROND! Maryland and DC, along with the rest of the Northeast got Cormyr. Plus, in Living Greyhawk Va, MD, and DC were part of one region, Geoff, in part due to their close proximity.
I assume that means we are part of Cormyr here in Delaware.

I've never been a big fan of the regional differences. If I was a huge fan of say, Verbobonc, in Greyhawk I might not get to play there in the RPGA campaign because of the luck of where I happen to live.

dm4hire

Explorer
North Central US got Waterdeep. That's cool and all, but the really major cities should have been reserved for the three major cons and give each region a specific country instead.

pedr

Explorer
Agamon said:
There a link to this info? I'm interested in how Canada got divvied up.
Canada is now one region as regions in LFR are larger than they were in LG.

I've not seen formal confirmation of the assignments, but the following list was posted on the Yahoo! Group for the South-East USA region.

Pacific US=East Rift
Western US=Moonshae Isles
Southwest US=Tymanther (returned Abeir place)
North Central US=Waterdeep
Northeast US=Cormyr
Southeast US=Aglarond

Canada=Akanul (returned Abeir place…genasi)
Latin America=Baldur's Gate
UK/Ireland/South Africa=Luruar (Silverymoon)
Northern Europe/Russia=Dalelands
Southern Europe/Turkey=Impilitur
Australia/New Zealand/Pacific=Dragon Coast

I'll repeat, I've only seen this in one place so far and it might not be confirmed/accurate!

The specific borders of the regions are detailed here, along with the bios of the campaign staff: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=rpga/news/20071116a

Scroll down to the bottom of this page to see a (real) world map showing the regions: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=rpga/news/20070905a

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases