LMoP [ooc]

Axel

First Post
Attack vs save is very useful in situations where you simply can't make a straightforward attack. Darkness, prone opponent, target has AC of 35 etc. If you plan on using cantrips as a baseline for attacking (low level wizard or warlock), it pays to have a ranged attack (at good range) like eldritch blast, a melee attack like shocking grasp and a shorter range attack via saving throws like poison spray or sacred flame. This covers all your bases.

Clerics, of course, only get the one attack cantrip and should be played differently as a result. They're one of the hardest classes to play well, because you accomplish so many things indirectly.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
That indirectness is something I've been slow in picking up on. There's healing, and Channel Divinity, and the Bless spell, and Guidance and Resistance; but the problem I have with Resistance is that it's not a Reaction: by the time Eddicus' turn comes up, many other team members will have already made any needed saving throws and he can't help them there unless he had some kind of advanced knowledge the previous turn to cast Resistance on somebody who was predictably going to need it. That one of the reasons I didn't have him learn that cantrip.

The Life domain gives a good boost to healing; but the Knowledge domain would be more thematically fitting for Oghma. However, Life was the one choice available when I first built Eddicus, because we started out playing using the Basic rules only; and I was going for the ability to include one of the built-in plot hooks in the advanture, because there's a desecrated temple to Oghma somewhere out there.

If I had it to do over again, I might try to force-fit the Arcana domain from SCAG around the worship of Oghma, but that's really a stretch. ("Look, Arcana is a type of Knowledge, right?") My reason for that idea is that Arcana gives the Cleric two chosen Wizard cantrips and two specified Wizard spells (Detect Magic, Magic Missile) as Cleric spells, meaning they can be cast using Wisdom as the SpellAbilMod. There's your FireBolt and ShockingGrasp (or others) provision right there.

(But such a rebuild, even if I had a game to play it in, would also probably include changes to ability scores because of not relying on DEX for attack rolls, and then it gets to be a real mess of a job.)

mips42

Adventurer
Yes, next level you can rebuild if you want to. I now have access to full PHB, Elemental Evil supplement, Sword Coast Adventure guide, etc. So, any Official Source is fine ( No unearthed arcana). If you use a source not listed, I would appreciate a link to where you found it so I can look at it as well.

Last edited:

Axel

First Post
Thanks [MENTION=6746242]mips42[/MENTION], but I'm happy with Brlo for now. At third level I'm thinking of sending him down the beast master archetype. Probably pick a bulldog or something similar for his first companion.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Not sure if that was an open invitation, but I'm quite happy with chaos sorcerer :) It would help if there were more surges :) But then again we survived dreaded surge fireball.

I'll check if I can find any new spells with chaos descriptor :) but I'm quite content with Leonan

tuxgeo

Adventurer
I have moved Eddicus' token on the online map to a distance that I guesstimated was approximately his speed along the trail toward Brlo's location. I see Eddicus has a red border around his token; I trust this is to indicate that he is below 50% of maximum hit points. I also trust that we're allowed to move the tokens of our own characters. (I may be slow on the uptake about the use of the map, as well.)

mips42

Adventurer
Today (and most days) I am thankful for my wife and family, food to eat and a roof over the head. I know there are many who don't have those things.
Be well.

mips42

Adventurer
Yes, dark lines indicate a 10' drop. Fairly steep, would need a climb check to go up and a dex check to go down without damage.

mips42

Adventurer
I have a friend who dropped down from a 10' ledge, slipped, hit their head, was permanently disfigured and nearly died. No, taking damage is not unrealistic.

Remove ads