• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Logans Run: Worth Watching?

WayneLigon

Adventurer
The Quick Mini Spoilerific Version

In the movie, the age limit for people is 30. (In the books -there are three of them - it's 21; the books are also vastly different from the movies. In fact, other than having a protagonist named Logan and the concept of people being killed to keep the population down, there's virtually nothing the same between them) At birth, people have a crystal implanted in their palm. Every few years, it changes color until finally it starts flashing. When it does that, you have somrthing like a day to report to Carrousel before the crystal turns black.

They undergo a rite where, floating, they try to touch this giant crystal at the top of Carrousel. Lasers kill everyone. The legend is that if you touch the crystal, you get to either keep on living, or get another 30 years, or something. Nobody has ever done it, though; it's a lie, anyway. Later on, Logan realizes that he's never ever known anyone to be renewed.

Logan 7 is a Sandman. Sandmen are police who hunt down people who try to avoid Carrousel. There are rumors of a place called Santuary; if you can get there, you can live as lnog as you want. Logan is given a special assignment by the computer that controls the domed city; it artificially shortens his lifeclock (he's only 26 or so) so he becomes a Runner, and he's sent to find and infiltrate Sanctuary.

He follows the trail but discovers that if there ever was a Santuary, nobody has ever reached it because of an insane cyborg called Box. Box has killed everyone who's ever come down from the city. Logan and Jessica manage to destroy him and become the first people to ever make it Outside.

They discover the ruins of the former civilization and find a human living outside. An old human. They have never even seen depictions of people past 30, so he's fascinating to them. ("Those lines in your face.. don't they hurt?")

Logan and Jessica return to the City. Logan is captured and interrogated by the computer to find out the location of Sanctuary. Logan's mind shows that there isn't and never has been a Sanctuary and since this clashes with what the computer knows, it destroys itself, also destroying the city. The people gradually walk out into the sunlight and crowd around the old man.

Chaldfont

First Post
I have only two things to add.

It has Basil Exposition in it.

And it has a teleportation chamber that is used to facilitate random "hook-ups", if you know what I mean. Its like if you combined booty calls and channel surfing.

You got to love the 70's.

sniffles

First Post
The best part about Logan's Run is that it has Farrah Fawcett getting mangled by a cosmetic surgery machine gone haywire. :]

Did anyone ever hear the outcome of the lawsuit between the producers of Parts: The Clonus Horror and The Island? I haven't seen The Island, but judging by the ads, it sure did seem similar to Parts (which I have only seen in the MST3K version, I must admit).

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Just_Hal said:
LR is pretty good as long as you remember it is from the 70's, Bryan Singer is supposedly in talks to do a remake.
The 70s was a good decade (I was born in the latter half of it), the 80s was better (my mannerisms are shaped around polite 80s behavior) and the music and movies kicked arse!

WayneLigon

Adventurer
sniffles said:
Did anyone ever hear the outcome of the lawsuit between the producers of Parts: The Clonus Horror and The Island? I haven't seen The Island, but judging by the ads, it sure did seem similar to Parts (which I have only seen in the MST3K version, I must admit).

Haven't heard. I should go look up the original movie. I was a little skeptical, since it sounded like an 'I smell money' lawsuit, but after reading the required 'points of similarity' in the original complaint document it would sound like they have a rock-solid case of the scriptwriter ripping them off wholesale, right down to the set-peices.

Remove ads