• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Logans Run: Worth Watching?

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
So I saw The Island not that long ago on Cinemax with my mom and we got to talking with my dad about it. She said that is a concept that has been done before. Anyway, she asked about other movies I am aware of that are similar. Logans Run was the first that came to mind. I've never seen it, but now my interest is piqued. spoiler me!

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Logan's run isn't about clones but it is about people that have to die by age 35 (I believe). The city is controlled strickly by a group of counsolers and enforcers. Runners are people that try to get away from the city and thus avoid dying.

The TV show had more info but honestly I enjoyed the movie more.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Nightfall said:
Logan's run isn't about clones but it is about people that have to die by age 35 (I believe). The city is controlled strickly by a group of counsolers and enforcers. Runners are people that try to get away from the city and thus avoid dying.
This I am aware, but conceptually the same in the regard of fleeing to save your skin.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Logan's Run is a pretty good movie. Very 70s-ish, but that's a plus in my book.

Basically it's a post-apocalyptic story. In the future, there's a complex where people live, but they are terminated at age 30 (or something like that - youngish) in a ceremony called the Renewal (or Time of Renewal or something like that. There's a trance song named that uses samples from the movie). Those that don't want to die, "run", but are chased down and killed by "Sandmen". Logan is one such Sandmen, but he is ordered by the complex's computer to become a runner to infiltrate a gang that helps runners. Thus the name of the movie.

IMHO, it's one of the bigger inspirations for the RPG "Paranoia"

Also a book, but the book is very very different from the movie, and not so great.

The Island is apparently very much like the movie The Clonus Horror (or something like that, a Mystery Science Theater 3000 movie)

Remove ads