Loki! (spoiler thread)

Janx

Hero
Then again, cheating death is kinda what Loki does.
compared to most comic book contrivances to resurrect a character, Loki's made sense. they time traveled and dropped a Tesseract in front of him. Of course he's gonna bail. :)

Overall for MCU, it would be my hope that they avoid reboots, mostly keep dead people dead, and limit re-using code-names to new folks (it's gonna happen, but doesn't have to be every initial MCU character). The comics has a rich catalog of characters, I see no reason why they can't raise a new set of heroes for a decade, retire and transition to the next batch and easily have fifty years worth of un-retconned continuity.

hopeless

Adventurer
Made me wonder what if the alternate Loki finds out how he died and secretly replaces himself so he wouldn't be a paradox and hunted by the TVA?
Unlikely but I wondered how that might work out.

MarkB

Legend
Made me wonder what if the alternate Loki finds out how he died and secretly replaces himself so he wouldn't be a paradox and hunted by the TVA?
Unlikely but I wondered how that might work out.
How would replacing a dead Loki with an alive Loki not be a paradox?

MarkB

Legend
Though that becomes less and less of a factor with current facial CGI. You could pretty much build a fully digital actor at this point, with stand-ins for motion capture as needed, and the original performer only needing to provide voice acting. Find someone who can sound enough like them, and you could deepfake an entire character.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Though that becomes less and less of a factor with current facial CGI. You could pretty much build a fully digital actor at this point, with stand-ins for motion capture as needed, and the original performer only needing to provide voice acting. Find someone who can sound enough like them, and you could deepfake an entire character.
in 10 years we are going to end up with zombie actors.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Ultimately I am not a huge fan of the "what if" type scenarios, aka alternate versions of various characters. To me "my loki" had his character arc, and ultimately the god of mischief died for the love of his brother. A cool ending, so I don't want Loki to come back. I would like some character deaths to actually have meaning and not just be fake-outs all the time.

That said, if they are going to do it I think the tv shows are the best venue to do it. You can tell these encapsulated stories that hopefully do not greatly change the MCU like Wandavision and Falcon did. I personally don't want this Loki to go "mainsteam".

Others will of course, its just personal preference.
While I don't see this instance as too much of a fake-out, since it ties pretty naturally to what happened in Endgame, I mostly agree.

That said, I would be down with Kid Loki becoming mainstream MCU, and I would have been a-okay with an actual fake-out in Infinity War revealing Loki faked out Thanos, only to have him turn to dust just as he starts to do that damned grin.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
While I don't see this instance as too much of a fake-out, since it ties pretty naturally to what happened in Endgame, I mostly agree.

Not only that, but even after Thanos killed him, Thor outright tells us that he expects his brother will cheat death somehow. We are set up to expect to see him again in some way, shape, or form.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Not only that, but even after Thanos killed him, Thor outright tells us that he expects his brother will cheat death somehow. We are set up to expect to see him again in some way, shape, or form.
Yeah. I was kinda disappointed that it ended up being not really the same Loki, and thus not a clever ruse by him, but yeah. Definitely makes sense for Loki to be the character in the situation presented in the show.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases