London Bridge is falling down

We played it as a game, so I don't know where this crazy "salt & pepper" stuff comes from. :)

The "take the key and lock her up" version made sense, since the game involved trapping people in the bridge. (Sort of the opposite of 'musical chairs' but without the chairs). I also remember other verses: "build it up with iron bars" and "iron bars will bend and break" and "build it up with silver and gold" - in my childhood, extra verses were just an excuse to keep playing the game a bit longer.

Crothian said:
Do I smell a book coming?? :D

Heh. :) I have a stack of reading next to me. It's all about cities. So, nothing on the horizion about oral traditions, but lots of stuff about cities. I need more brains.

joe b.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I went to elementary school in four states: El Paso Texas, Albuquerque New Mexico, Poway (San Diego) California and in Scottsdale, AZ. In all four places the kids sung the lock her up version.

Frukathka said:
I went to elementary school in four states: El Paso Texas, Albuquerque New Mexico, Poway (San Diego) California and in Scottsdale, AZ. In all four places the kids sung the lock her up version.

Which one do you sing?

Big green gobs of greasy grimey gopher guts,
1. Mutilated (2. munched up ) monkey 1. meat (2. feet),
1. Little dirty birdie feet, 2. Chopped up little piggie feet, 3. Chopped up baby parakeet

joe b.

AIM-54

First Post
jgbrowning said:
Which one do you sing?

Big green gobs of greasy grimey gopher guts,
1. Mutilated (2. munched up ) monkey 1. meat (2. feet),
1. Little dirty birdie feet, 2. Chopped up little piggie feet, 3. Chopped up baby parakeet

joe b.

Great green gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts, mutilated monky meat, little dirty birdy feet.

But I learned that one in Canada. :p

Maerdwyn

First Post
"Great green gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts, mutilated monkey meat, squirrels, picked up off the street" (Central Massachusetts)

Last edited:

Krieg

First Post
London Bridge is...

Take the key and lock them up...

Mutilated monkey meat...

Little dirty birdies feet

Born & raised in Ohio.

Remove ads