• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lone Wolf sends Cease & Desist letters to anyone using the term 'Army Builder'

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I suspect he was trolling considering that that info is public domain and is available to anyone by doing a simple google search. OR he wanted to find himself mentioned in certain off site threads.

Not only is it easy to find, I'm also more than happy to tell anyone who asks. It's hardly a secret!

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
I've tried to follow the thread, but it's a daunting task. So apologies if this has been covered.

Apparently, several board owners are complying with Lone Wolf's request by using word filter functions to change the forbidden term into something else which is not forbidden.

An elegant solution for everyone involved, since it means that the board owners won't have to police all posts and moderate heavily to comply. It's all automatic!

/M

thzero

First Post
I believe (and I'm sure to be corrected if I'm wrong) the thread boils down to LoneWolf has a registered trademark on "Army Builder" (R) so using it in a product name (book, software, whatever) would violate that trademark. However, while using "army builder" as a general phrase is improper, it is not forbidden. So I'm not really sure this is an "elegant" solution; if a board owner is going to do it for one trademark, he should really do it for many which would be problematic.

Apparently, several board owners are complying with Lone Wolf's request by using word filter functions to change the forbidden term into something else which is not forbidden.

An elegant solution for everyone involved, since it means that the board owners won't have to police all posts and moderate heavily to comply. It's all automatic!

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
And some people who are not bullies, but who have read and understand the law pertaining to their property, take certain actions which *seem* like bullying to some observers because they are obligated to take said actions when they wish to protect said property. And some of *those* people commit errors when writing for which they apologize and try to make amends.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
How about a collection of short stories titled "Arm Me, Builder."? These are the recurring adventures of a knight and his construction worker squire.

:)

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
And just why should a forum owner comply with such unreasonable and insane demands?

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
And some people who are not bullies, but who have read and understand the law pertaining to their property, take certain actions which *seem* like bullying to some observers because they are obligated to take said actions when they wish to protect said property. And some of *those* people commit errors when writing for which they apologize and try to make amends.
Have you really understood the problem here? Going after other companies using your trademark is one thing. Going after forum owners because posters are using a common and desciptive term is just bullying. Pure and simple.

And it's not about property. It's about intellectual property. Despite its name it hasn't much to do with actual property.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads