Lone Wolf sends Cease & Desist letters to anyone using the term 'Army Builder'

czak

First Post
Yes countries tax income earned from patent royalties or licensing copyrights etc... There are rules for allocating the tax revenue from ip in Article 12 of the OECD's Model Tax Convention and in the UN model so I suspect nearly every country in the world except for tax havens will tax ip in some fashion.

Delicious tax treaty  OECD
[sblock]

Article 12
ROYALTIES
1. Royalties arising in a Contracting State and beneficially owned by a resident of the other Contracting State shall be taxable only in that other State.

2. The term "royalties" as used in this Article means payments of any kind received
as a consideration for the use of, or the right to use, any copyright of literary, artistic or
scientific work including cinematograph films, any patent, trade mark, design or model,
plan, secret formula or process, or for information concerning industrial, commercial or
scientific experience.
3. The provisions of paragraph 1 shall not apply if the beneficial owner of the
royalties, being a resident of a Contracting State, carries on business in the other Con-
tracting State in which the royalties arise through a permanent establishment situated
therein and the right or property in respect of which the royalties are paid is effectively
connected with such permanent establishment. In such case the provisions of Article 7
shall apply.
4. Where, by reason of a special relationship between the payer and the beneficial
owner or between both of them and some other person, the amount of the royalties, having regard to the use, right or information for which they are paid, exceeds the amount which would have been agreed upon by the payer and the beneficial owner in the absence of such relationship, the provisions of this Article shall apply only to the last-mentioned amount.
In such case, the excess part of the payments shall remain taxable according to the laws of each Contracting State, due regard being had to the other provisions of this Convention.

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Yes countries tax income earned from patent royalties or licensing copyrights etc...

That would be an income tax, not a property tax. I pay property taxes for owning property even if that property doesn't generate income. If I use property to generate income, then the property and the income both end up taxed.

It's enough to make me wish I had an army builder to help defend my money.

czak

First Post
The question didn't specify income or property taxes, just tax in general.

Also, a property tax (in canada at least it may be different down south) only targets one type of property, freehold real property (land). You wouldn't get taxed on your lease, or your car even though those are types of property.

If you turn off the lights and stand in front of a mirror and chant army builder three times do you get a cease and desist letter?

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
Interesting. Now I have to wonder what ways you think IP is not defined as property.

Property doesn't have to be registered (Patents, TM, Registered Design right et al). Property doesn't have a term after which it expires (Patents, Copyright, most other IP). Some IPR aren't fully transferable, unlike property (TM, copyright in some jurisdictions). While there are easements, rights of way and such with realty, property ownership in general is a much more absolute right than ownership of most IPR.

Remove ads