D&D 5E Longswords

CapnZapp

Legend
You could go the "old school" route, and make them more popular by virtue of magic. If nearly every magical sword you find in a longsword rather than a rapier or polearm, then some people might end up using them even if they aren't ideal for their build.

It does raise the question of why so many people would bother to enchant longswords, if they weren't very popular in the first place, but that tradition might theoretically date back to a time before rapiers were invented.
I guess this is what the random magic tables lead to.

But it is also a slightly unfun solution.

It effectively asks players to abstain from picking the best choice just because that choice MIGHT not end up the best choice after all.

I believe it is better to be upfront already from the start, and make sure the weapons you WANT the players to choose also are the best or among the best choices.

What I mean is: the simplest and most constructive way to look at 5E is to assume its designers WANT players to choose the rapier (unless they go two-handed).

If you want something else, you can then change the core reason as to why that is. Such as saying "Dex weapon deal Str based damage" for instance. It changes the foundation. It actually removes (rather than obscures) the tension, by aligning what the DM wants with what the game offers.

fjw70

Adventurer
The Asventures in Middle Earth book introduced a d8 finesse broadsword.

But renaming the rapier to the long sword and long sword to the bastard sword works also.

hejtmane

Explorer
All strikes in sword fighting are about precision and control of the swing. "power attack" more or less exist only in D&D :p

I trained for a few years in HEMA with 2handed swords of various size 125-150cm. When I wielded katana it just felt blade heavy. It doesn't have a good counterweight in pommel so it is very hard to use it one handed.

But, I don't want to turn this into HEMA vs Kendo, just saying in my personal experience katana is 2handed weapon that can be used one handed, barely.

It can be done and was done by one of the greatest Japanese swordsman but it is a very interesting style and I am sure it is not easy to master. I would agree on it is very hard to use one Handed the only thing I do one handed with a katana is practice slinging of the imaginary blood :p. Now Musashi the Samurai that created the art but it is suppose to rely a lot on mai (distance), no flash and power.

Now we are talking about the mythical worlds of D&D and martial arts anime and movies and spells etc that all gets thrown out the window :lol:

CapnZapp

Legend
At most, I would add a new weapon, the "sabre." Statistically identical to a rapier but a slashing weapon instead of a piercing. This works for campaigns where rapiers either don't exist (such as the bronze-age campaign I run myself) or otherwise don't fit thematically. A shortsword and a scimitar are identical except for the slashing vs. piercing bit, so there's precedent.
Since this is (as far as I can see) identical with Cubicle 7's solution (they named the Sabre "broadsword), I'll ask you too:

What does this accomplish?

I understand it removes rapiers from the picture, but can that be all? The mechanics of a finesse slashing weapon are to me indistinguishable from a finesse piercing weapon.

Can it really be only to remove the mental "musketeer" picture?

rgoodbb

Adventurer
For me it's part class design issue as well. Dex is just as viable for every martial class and has (arguably) better outside options attached. It could also be argued that strength players want a PC with something different; a war pick or flail are very cool weapon options to wield and offer a uniqueness to the good ol' longsword.

Zardnaar

Legend
I guess this is what the random magic tables lead to.

But it is also a slightly unfun solution.

It effectively asks players to abstain from picking the best choice just because that choice MIGHT not end up the best choice after all.

I believe it is better to be upfront already from the start, and make sure the weapons you WANT the players to choose also are the best or among the best choices.

What I mean is: the simplest and most constructive way to look at 5E is to assume its designers WANT players to choose the rapier (unless they go two-handed).

If you want something else, you can then change the core reason as to why that is. Such as saying "Dex weapon deal Str based damage" for instance. It changes the foundation. It actually removes (rather than obscures) the tension, by aligning what the DM wants with what the game offers.

See

See previous comment about the best weapons (post 30).

When I started playing AD&D over 3.x after rejecting 4E I notice the PCs started to use more of a variety of weapons an armor due to magical versions. Basically magical short swords, spears, daggers and longswords are more common than most other magical weapons.

I have a dex based party and there is an unused magical longsword in the group, on PC is using a magical dagger, another is using a magical staff (dex based Monk) and they are level 5 now. THe next adventure has a magical shrtsword in it and none of the future adventures has a magical rapier in it and I run adventures RAW and do not change the magic items to things PCs directly want. Basically they take their chances.

Feats also make strength based weapons better though such as Polearm Master, Shield Master and Greatweapon Master.

If magic weapons existed IRL you would have very few magical rapiers and greatswords and more magical short swords, daggers and spears because most cultures invented them and used them over a long period of time relative to the Greatsword (lasted 50 odd years) or Rapier (not used as a battlefield weapon).

So if you are exploring Roman ruins magical shortswords would be relatively common, magical longswords rare, magical greatswords would not be found.

Last edited:

Ganymede81

First Post
Ok, I've thought about it and here's my solution.

1. Every melee weapon can use Dex in lieu of Str, but your damage is reduced by 1 for every weapon damage die rolled.
2. The bonus to Initiative is moved from Dex to Int.
3. Profit.

That should reduce the value of Dex just enough to bring Finesse weapons in line with other weapons. Let me know if there is an angle I missed.

hejtmane

Explorer
I more or less run adventures RAW and not very many magical rapiers if any and lots of magical longswords.

ANother reason is you can't sneak attack with longswords and a Rapier should have been a d6 weapon.

AFAIK there is only 1 way I know how to finesse a longsword in 5E as well.

Don't automatically gine the PCs the best magical equipment either. Hand out +2 chainmail for example or a +2 spear or magical short sword or dagger over a rapier or +2 or +3 leather over magical studded leather. I have defaulted to using a magical shortword over a non magical rapier and our rogue uses a +1 dagger over a non magical rapier.

Try and get the PCs away from using the "best" equipment all of the time.

Hence why I create my own magical weapons why do all the swords have to be long swords or two handed etc why can there not be maces of frost brand or acid etc that is the real issue D&D magic table is garbage has been since the 1e days (yes I said it)and is favor towards swords period. I liek it when people play concepts espciaily ones that are not necessarily the best way to go like mace so as a DM let's have some fun and embrace this concept all the way.

Ganymede81

First Post
I liek it when people play concepts espciaily ones that are not necessarily the best way to go like mace so as a DM let's have some fun and embrace this concept all the way .

Building on that, I like the view that a choice of weapon should be more of a stylistic or character background choice rather than one made for mechanical advantage.

If you're going to use a one-handed martial weapon, you shouldn't get a special advantage if you chose a longsword over a military pick, a battle axe, or a war hammer. The same goes if you chose a rapier.

Remove ads