Looking for a fantasy system

innerdude

Legend
If you want tactical, but are eliminating D&D, PF, GURPS, and Zweihander from the get go, about all that's left is some version of Rolemaster/HARP/MERP/Against the Dark Master, HERO, something vaguely OSR-ish, or something BRP based (Mythras, et. al.), or maybe EABA.

Do you want something D20 based at all? Shadow of the Demon Lord might suit, it's D20 chassis but considerably removed from mainstream D&D. Fantasy Craft might also work, but I doubt it has Roll 20 support. It's highly crunchy but very consistent, and about the best representation of the true intent of 2000s era D&D I've ever seen.

If Fantasy Craft was off the table, out of all of those choices I'd probably go with Mythras or Against the Dark Master.

It’s not Pathfinder. It’s Savage Worlds with a class based skin laid over the top to emulate D&D style games. The book uses Paizo’s Golarion setting but you indicated you have a setting and needed rules.

That said core Savage Worlds with the Fantasy Companion would also work and would have 0 association with ‘Pathfinder’.
OK, thanks, I did not know that.

If you want tactical, but are eliminating D&D, PF, GURPS, and Zweihander from the get go, about all that's left is some version of Rolemaster/HARP/MERP/Against the Dark Master, HERO, something vaguely OSR-ish, or something BRP based (Mythras, et. al.), or maybe EABA.

Do you want something D20 based at all? Shadow of the Demon Lord might suit, it's D20 chassis but considerably removed from mainstream D&D. Fantasy Craft might also work, but I doubt it has Roll 20 support. It's highly crunchy but very consistent, and about the best representation of the true intent of 2000s era D&D I've ever seen.

If Fantasy Craft was off the table, out of all of those choices I'd probably go with Mythras or Against the Dark Master.
Fantasy craft is on Roll20; I'll look into it.

OK, I had downloaded free material on Conan and Fantasy craft. Of the options presented so far, these seem to be the best choices

Remove ads