• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a good 1st level module for brand new players

esorek

First Post
I might have the pleasure of introducing some brand new players to D&D and our hobby in general so I'm looking for a good module that is suitable for people who have never played D&D or RPGs in general and will get them hooked.
Any suggestions?

Crothian

First Post
The Whispering Woodwind from Creative Mountain games. It is a pdf, but is a great module for getting people into the hobby. It has a nicve simple plot, interesting characters, and gives just enough direction so the players won't get lost but is open enough for them to make their own choices.

Terraism

Explorer
I haven't seen Mark's adventure, but I'm betting Crothian's dead on the mark about it being good. (No pun intened; seriously!) That said, I'd toss up a vote for Necromancer Game's The Wizard's Amulet. I've always liked that little module...

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Thanks. :) I think it is very good also. I might suggest getting Whispering Woodwind and using it as a second level module, perhaps as a follow up to Wizard's Amulet. That way, if you have them both in advance, you can set up a nice bridge between the two ahead of time. Either way, have fun starting the new campaign! :)

ced1106

Explorer
The D&D Adventure game is a **safe** bet. The rules are simplified, pregenerated characters are provided, etc.. The adventures themselves are ho-hum by **our** standards, but new players will have enough on their hands. You definitely should add some roleplaying to the adventures.

**SPOILER**

For example, the first adventure (more like an encounter) has the players rescuing a unicorn from some goblins. Read: Fighting goblins. All four of them. Zzz. However, modify the adventure suchthat the PCs first encounter a young unicorn whose mother was captured by goblins, and attempts to seek help from the PCs, but is on the shy side.

The Dungeon has shorter adventures, with lots of color. I'd also look there for ideas.

Or are the players used to long games? Are they already committed to multiple playing sesssions?

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^

johnsemlak

First Post
The Burning Plague , a free adventure at the WotC site in the free original adventures section, is a good short introduction. I used it for the exact purpose of introducing new players.

It provides a good mix of traps, monsters, and treasures.

arwink

Clockwork Golem
If you can track down a copy of Golgorgand Gauntlet from Dunegon or the Dragon CD's, it's a pretty good introductory module. I good mix of combat, problem solving and skill use in its encounters.

The Wizard's Amulet is a nice module, and I've run it twice. But the combat is very hard.

I would seriously look at the Burning Plague, as it is a bit easier.

Good luck,

Duncan

Remove ads