• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a good ruined city adventure setting

Mercurius

Legend
The title says most of it: I'm looking for a ruined city supplement, preferably quite detailed. I don't care what system; I'll be using 4ed, but I don't mind converting on the fly. I'm more interested in its level of detail and interesting tidbits.

I seem to remember the old Earthdawn box set Parlainth being quite good?

JeffB

Legend
The title says most of it: I'm looking for a ruined city supplement, preferably quite detailed. I don't care what system; I'll be using 4ed, but I don't mind converting on the fly. I'm more interested in its level of detail and interesting tidbits.

I seem to remember the old Earthdawn box set Parlainth being quite good?

Parlainth was quite good! , wish I still had my copy, right up there with the original Pavis & Big Rubble AFAIC.

You may try to find Barakus, from Necromancer?

the Jester

Legend
I'd go with the old 1e module Dwellers in the Forbidden City. Evocative, full of weird, new (at the time) creatures, with multiple different 'zones' for encounters, etc. It's great, and brought D&D such luminaries as the yuan ti, aboleth and bullywug.

Rechan

Adventurer
Ruins of Rathess - Exalted supplement detailing a fallen Jungle kingdom once ruled by the Dragon Kings, intelligent reptilian mounts of a long-lost powerful civilization.

Crucible of Chaos is a Paizo Gamemastery adventure that deals with a lost flying city. It is for the most part "broke", but PCs can put it back together.

Last edited:

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
Ruins of Intrigue is for Arcana Evolved, but is a pretty easily converted to 4e. The biggest difference is the city has been discovered and various factions are vying for control...

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
So far:

Barakus
Myth Drannor
Parlainth

Anyone care giving a 2-3 sentence description of each?

I can only speak to Myth Drannor — skip it. The legend itself is compelling, but the boxed set does little to shed light on it. For all intents and purposes, the box set is a bunch of maps with some tangentially linked adventures with a thin discussion of the ruined city's history. Really, it did more to suck the magic out of Myth Drannor for me than it did to elucidate it.

As for other suggestions, you may want to look at Pavis & Big Rubble for Runequest (reprinted by Moon Design Publications).

RichGreen

Adventurer
I can only speak to Myth Drannor — skip it. The legend itself is compelling, but the boxed set does little to shed light on it. For all intents and purposes, the box set is a bunch of maps with some tangentially linked adventures with a thin discussion of the ruined city's history. Really, it did more to suck the magic out of Myth Drannor for me than it did to elucidate it.
I agree. This was also the 2e era of big margins and giant type in modules and boxed sets. Disappointing!

Richard

Remove ads