• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a new character idea

brightgoat

First Post
Hi,

I've been DMing for a while, and now I'm taking a break to be a player. I'm feeling a bit indecisive about my new character.

Anyone have any interesting ideas that have been bouncing around their heads? The campaign is set in a university, and is going to be light on combat.

I'm not looking for an uber powerful min-max creation, just an interesting role playing idea.

Thanks

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
::cough:: psionic lizard man ::cough::

Seriously, though. How about the ever popular rogue/paladin? Play the rouge up to about 3rd level and then do the switch. There are a lot of rolepaly opportunities here, from the conversion to the path of light to living with the consquences of one's former misdeeds.

Last edited:

Quickbeam

Explorer
Ideas I've been kicking around...

1) A gnome or halfing cleric of Kord -- a little brawler with a massive chip on his shoulder. I'd take Strength and Luck as his Domains, despite the -2 STR ability modifier either would suffer. This will keep your attributes down, and there are tons of roleplaying opportunities for a PC like this in an academic environment.

2) I created a dwarven bard for a group that only meets every 6-8 weeks, and haven't had a chance to play him much. I can tell you this though, THAT is some entertaining roleplaying. Basically, his perfomance ranks are all in storytelling, epics, and hand puppet shows. His background story is that he was his clan's youth teacher, and has traveled abroad in search of new tales and teaching methods to bring home.

3) A reluctant sorceror...you know, someone who has "the gift" but doesn't want to acknowledge its existence. Think Carrie or many of the mutants portrayed in X-Men comics.

Villano

First Post
Start with a Bard and at 2nd level multiclass with Courtier (from Rokugan). The courtier gives you all kinds of great social bonuses with stack with the bards. You'll have the ultimate social monster!

Of course, the courtier has an even worse BAB than a bard's, so you're BAB will suck.

However, with courtier you get a +4 bonus to all CHA-based skills, and if you take a skill focus feat in a CHA, INT, or WIS-related skills, you get a +4 bonus instead of +2. A +8 to your perform will help with your bardic music, so you can contribute to battle.

As for roleplaying, he'd make a hell of a Diplomat!:)

Isida KepTukari

First Post
Well, you could do a really odd duck. Half-Orc Bard or something similar...

I'd personally love to do a psion. A half-elf perhaps. I could see one of those being very studious, and yet so different from the "typical" magic users and scholars that he would be quite a novelty!

Grim

First Post
how about a kobold monk-psicic warrior... the ultimate cheap Power gaming thing... take inertial armor, have an 18 in both Wisdom and Dex (easy with racial adjustments), and you get AC 23 at 2nd level, wearing NO ARMOR! and you get to use weapons too! But your BAB sort of stinks.

kilted Frog

First Post
One type of character I've always wanted to try was that of a chaotic evil character who's beginning to reform... he still thinks killing kids is okay to shut them up, but knows that society frowns on that kind of thing....

This can only be tried if the group of players and the DM are ok with the constant irritants this may or may not bring up.

"Why can't we just kill the bartender?!? I mean, 4 copper pieces for an ale? I should wear his fingers as a necklace!"

"Because, for the 200th time, it's just not right!"

"Fine!" <grumble> "Let him steal the copper from under our noses then!"

I think it could be a lot of fun to roleplay, but it would have to be done properly and in moderation.

Oogar

First Post
Level 1 aristocrat, Jump straight into some learning based class, Or take a few levels more and then maybe switch to anything else that seems right. Just presume that you are the 8th son of some noble and they shipped you off, in the hopes you would find something to do besides leach off the family treasury (They probably want you to die or become wealthy so you won't try to place a claim for any land). Also has good hooks for a DM. You can do this with a rogue or bard (Or a fighter, but not as good a set of skills, starting as a wizzy or a sorcerer does not feel right with this one though). Decent role play base, you can be nervous and nice, or a Casanova. You can also do the same thing as a member of the clergy, 3rd+ sons were often sent to be members of the church.

Sorry, only 1 idea, just lots of ways to do it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads