Looking for help with inspiration - rat-themed events

Schmoe

Adventurer
The group I'm DMing is currently exploring a mine that has been taken over by a vengeful were-rat who aims to create an army of were-rat goblins and destroy the town that ruined his family several generations before. They haven't yet encountered any were-rats, but I'd like to add some "flavor" to the adventure to do some foreshadowing of the villain and introduce the possibility that there is something more supernatural afoot (a curse of fate) than "just" a vengeful were-rat. Events could be things the party encounters in the mines, or things that happen around town that give the impression something weird is going on.

I don't really have anything concrete yet, and I'm looking for ideas. Right now all I have to go on is the following rat-like traits:

Treachery - "He's a rat, he'll snitch on you at the first chance."
Ruin - Rats gnawing in the dark corners of our society.
Filth - Rats multiply in the sewers.

As you can tell, it's not much right now. Any ideas you have would be great!

alienux

Explorer
Maybe have an area of town near a sewer where they encounter a rat king.

"Rat kings involve a number of rats intertwined at their tails, which become stuck together with, for instance, blood, dirt, ice, horse-hair, or feces—or simply knotted. The animals reputedly grow together while joined at the tails."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_king

ratking.jpg

Maybe take this idea and use the folklore of an actual bundle of rats like this forming a larger rat creature made up of many rats.

Maggie K1

First Post
You might also consider introducing plague or famine. An excess of rats tends to come with one or both of the above, and the mention of sickness and hunger in the town above could go a long way toward building the atmosphere. Plus, if the townsfolk are sick and starving it adds a sense of urgency. Maybe have the players overhear a passing comment that if this isn't dealt with soon the town is done for.

Oofta

Legend
When I think rats I think famine, filth and plague. Funny noises of skittering feet in the middle of the night. People with long twitchy faces with pink eyes and greasy hair crawling with fleas. Give them the mannerisms of a rat on top of that - a little hunched, holding their hands up by their chest and rubbing them constantly, etc.

You could also have other minor queues. All the cats in town disappear (have a kid calling out for Whiskers and crying), you see dogs running in terror from something hiding in the alley. You see glowing eyes staring from the darkness that scatter when you approach.

When investigating areas the rats are, there are gnaw marks everywhere. On bones, on floors that were weakened so they collapse when someone larger walks through, tunnels just big enough for a wererat goblin to crawl through.

Hope some of that helps!

Schmoe

Adventurer

"Rat kings involve a number of rats intertwined at their tails, which become stuck together with, for instance, blood, dirt, ice, horse-hair, or feces—or simply knotted. The animals reputedly grow together while joined at the tails."

View attachment 94464

Maybe take this idea and use the folklore of an actual bundle of rats like this forming a larger rat creature made up of many rats.

Thanks, that's a great idea! I can definitely have this as something found around town, maybe at the Hanging tree where the were-rat's ancestor was lynched. I'll probably have the PC's find it if they go there, and then they can get more information about the folklore from some locals.

May I introduce you to Skavens?

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Skaven

They are a warhammer-specific race of rat-people, but they are *awesome* and would work great in a D&D game IMO

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ildren-of-the-Horned-Rat?src=hottest_filtered

I love me some Skaven. :D Someday I will use them properly in a campaign. In fact, now that you mention it this adventure could be a prelude to some Skaven-like developments under the auspice of the Horned Rat. I'll have to mull that one over. I have a number of adventure hooks pointing toward the Caverns of Thracia later on, but nothing is set in stone. I had initially dismissed the idea of going full Skaven here, but it could be fun. I'll have to see where the players' interests take them, but I think I'm going to have to include this as a possible lead.

You might also consider introducing plague or famine. An excess of rats tends to come with one or both of the above, and the mention of sickness and hunger in the town above could go a long way toward building the atmosphere. Plus, if the townsfolk are sick and starving it adds a sense of urgency. Maybe have the players overhear a passing comment that if this isn't dealt with soon the town is done for.

I like it. It would be very easy to have sick villagers walking around, and a plague starting to overtake the populace. I think I'll embellish it by having the general rat population increased and much more noticable. Rats appearing where they shouldn't, such as falling out of cupboards, gnawing through sacks of grain in cellars, in the PC's beds in the inn, etc.

When I think rats I think famine, filth and plague. Funny noises of skittering feet in the middle of the night. People with long twitchy faces with pink eyes and greasy hair crawling with fleas. Give them the mannerisms of a rat on top of that - a little hunched, holding their hands up by their chest and rubbing them constantly, etc.

You could also have other minor queues. All the cats in town disappear (have a kid calling out for Whiskers and crying), you see dogs running in terror from something hiding in the alley. You see glowing eyes staring from the darkness that scatter when you approach.

When investigating areas the rats are, there are gnaw marks everywhere. On bones, on floors that were weakened so they collapse when someone larger walks through, tunnels just big enough for a wererat goblin to crawl through.

Hope some of that helps!

Love it! I especially like the idea of the cats disappearing. That's suitably creepy and ominous to really give them the impression that something strange is going on. Also, I really like the ideas of showing the evidence of rats in the mines. The party explored the first few rooms, killing a bunch of normal goblins and then retreating, and when they returned they saw that the corpses had been badly chewed on. I'll play that up some more with showing signs of gnawing on the timbers, maybe a tunnel that has been weakened because the timbers are gnawed so much. I think I'll also just play up the density of the rat population in the mines. They're not a direct threat, but they are ever present, and it can lead to the PC's finding rats in their backpacks, eating their rations, gnawing through straps in armor, etc.

I think my next step is to create a couple of lists of "mood-setting encounters", one for town and one for adventuring. These ideas are all great and will definitely be on the lists!

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I love the idea of peppering your language with rat imagery, instead of having the PCs encounter rat phenomena in the game. Done subtly, it could be really awesome once there is finally a rat-reveal!

• Visitors to the town start leaving, like rats abandoning a sinking ship.
  • The people who stay are caught up in the rat-race of daily life.
  • When the party is buying provisions, describe them as a bunch of pack rats.
  • When they fail a Charisma check against an NPC, the response is, "I don't give a rat's arse!"
  • If the party finds an unidentified magic item, ask which of them wants to be the lab rat.

This would be tough to pull off, because you wouldn't want the players to notice you're doing it until they encounter actual rats, and then it dawns on them: "Ohhh! I thought you were using the word 'rat' a lot tonight!" The even bigger payoff is if one of the players guesses there's a were-rat, based only on their subconscious mind stringing together your rat-related clues.

I am describing the DM that I wish I was.

Schmoe

Adventurer
I love the idea of peppering your language with rat imagery, instead of having the PCs encounter rat phenomena in the game. Done subtly, it could be really awesome once there is finally a rat-reveal!

• Visitors to the town start leaving, like rats abandoning a sinking ship.
  • The people who stay are caught up in the rat-race of daily life.
  • When the party is buying provisions, describe them as a bunch of pack rats.
  • When they fail a Charisma check against an NPC, the response is, "I don't give a rat's arse!"
  • If the party finds an unidentified magic item, ask which of them wants to be the lab rat.

This would be tough to pull off, because you wouldn't want the players to notice you're doing it until they encounter actual rats, and then it dawns on them: "Ohhh! I thought you were using the word 'rat' a lot tonight!" The even bigger payoff is if one of the players guesses there's a were-rat, based only on their subconscious mind stringing together your rat-related clues.

Oh man, I am definitely going to try that. Brilliant.

I am describing the DM that I wish I was.

LOL :D

View attachment 94464

The Rat King is actually statted out in Tome of Beasts. It is nasty!
Other rats you may want to include: the Doppelrat from Tome of Beasts (it multiplies right in front of the PCs!) and the Swarm of Cranium Rats from Volo's.

A few sidequests which have been enjoyed at our tables to consider for your campaign:

Beneath the Floorboards - $1 - a variation on rats that the players have most likely not seen before
Madness of the Rat King - free - not the rat king we're talking about above... but it does feature a wererat

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases