• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

looking for ideas: magic + steampunk tech items

Myrddin Wyllt

First Post
Hi all,
This is my first post here, so be nice. :D

I'm looking for ideas for items (not necessarily weapons or adventuring equipment) that could mix technology from a late renaissance (think Musketeer-era) setting with magic from fantasy settings.

One example I can offer is the steam-powered wheelchair gadget that the villain in Wild, Wild West was using. If magic were incorporated, it might operate much longer on the same amounts of fuel, or be able to exceed its normal power by zooming really fast, you get the idea (I hope).

Any better ideas?

TheDood

First Post
In one word: Arcanum

In many words: Check out Sierra's Arcanum for ideas, but to be truly helpful heres a short list.

Flow Spectrometer: Detects Magic.
Chapeau of Magnetic Inversion: Armour Bonus
Healing Jacket: Increase rate of Healing
Flow Disrupter: Dispel Magic
Reanimator: An electrical device that reanimates corpses.

Personnal Creation:
Callipers of Expedious Retreat 1/Day

There are many more in the game, bu there purely mechanical/mundane and I'm not that sure if thats what you want. My advice would be to take a victorian-era object and apply magical effects to it, like I have done with the callipers.

Myrddin Wyllt

First Post
FINALLY!!!

Thanks for the ideas! :D

I have heard the word Arcanum several times, but I am not interested in spending money for a PC game I don't have time to play just to get a few ideas. I know some players have more time for it, and I was hoping for someone to share their experience with the game.

Thanks again,

Cris

TheDood

First Post
Here a short list without descriptions of stuff I was able to grab off various web sites for my campaign.

Alchemy
Antimagic Coating
Demon Powder
Alchemist's Gold
Moon Bullets
Aqua Regina

Chemistry
Strong Poison
Charges
Animal Scent
Corrosive Acid
Hallucinnite
Paralyzer
Anaethisizer
Fortifier
Fuel
Mental Inhibitor
Nercomizer

Electrical
Electric Light
Charged Ring
FLow Spectrometer
Shocking Staff
Chapeau of Magnetic Inversion
Healing Jacket
Tesla Gun
Lemon and Potato Charges
Flow Disruptor
Charged Sword
Electro Armor
Tesla Rod

Mechanical
Spike Trap
Trap Springer
Auto Skeleton Key
Eye Gear
Bear Trap
Clockwork Decoy
Mechanized Arachnid
Automaton
Medical Aracnid
Illuminated Decoy
Google Helmet
Explosive Decoy
Clockwork Physician

Smithy
Machined Platemail
Miner's helmet
Helmet of Vision
Balanced Sword

Myrddin Wyllt

First Post
Most of these are self-explanatory :D , but there are a couple I was a little confused by:

Aqua Regina (Queen's Water?)

Google Helmet (Hat of Search Engine?)

TheDood

First Post
Aqua Regina, I dont know about, didn't record its properties and it was create by a fan so its not in the game.

As for the google helmet, its actually a goggle helmet and from memory it provide a bonus to perception.

Remove ads