looking for: intrigue at court

Eben

First Post
Hi all. Been away from these boards for quite some time.

I'm working on a campaign that will be kicking off with a diplomatic conference. The setting is an isolated federation of states, in a personal union under a king. The players will be junior representatives (a sort of "promising youth" function) for different states.
The conference will be the background event that brings the group together. I'm looking for a nice, low level, intrigue at court scenario in which the players get to foil a plot (espionage, murder, theft, whatever), preferably from an unknown exterior power.
The goal would be to: 1. introduce the players, 2. give them an opportunity to distinguish themselves (so that the conference reward them by entrusting them an important task), 3. introduce some hints about an external power plotting against their country.

Does anything in the vast library of d20 material meet my needs?
Cheers,

Peter

Faraer

Explorer
Power of Faerûn -- one chapter specifically about court intrigue, and the rest about related political, economic, and diplomatic topics.

delericho

Legend
Eben said:
Does anything in the vast library of d20 material meet my needs?

Nothing leaps to mind. That said, my knowledge of d20 materials is far from exhaustive.

Anyway, perhaps I can offer some advice on how to homebrew it?

I'm working on a campaign that will be kicking off with a diplomatic conference. The setting is an isolated federation of states, in a personal union under a king. The players will be junior representatives (a sort of "promising youth" function) for different states.

Right, I have some experience here. I ran a Vampire chronicle that ran for 5 years (real time), which started in ancient Rome. So, I know a bit about factions and politicking.

What I recommend is the following: First, determine the size of the court in general terms. Are we talking 20 delegates? 100? 5? Don't fix the number too tightly just now, in case you decide you need more characters later.

Now, determine the major factions, and the goals of those factions (again, in general terms). Perhaps the outlying regions are aggreived at their taxes being spent on rebuilding the capital, and are agitating for independence. Perhaps one faction represents the state religion, who wish to have a rival faith outlawed. Or whatever.

Then, detail a few smaller, unaligned factions. These are where the real power in the court lies - the major factions generally balance each other out, and the balance therefore depends on how they curry favour with the minor powers. (This is an exaggeration. The situation is more akin to the 'swing States' in US elections.) Oh, and having the PCs faction(s) amongst these minor factions is a really good idea.

Now that you've got the broad factions drawn up, draw up the key figures within each faction. You're going to need a lot of characters here, but you don't need statistics for most of them. Instead, describe what they look like, their personalities, and notable quirks ("Meester Garibaldi!"). You need an index card for each character, and should colour-code them by faction if possible.

You need at least two characters for each faction - essentially an ambassador and an aide. However, it's better to have several, so you get plenty of conflicting agendas even within the factions. Oh, and don't just include the public faces of the factions - it's entirely possible that the ambassador's mistress has more power than any number of minor aides and flunkies.

For each character you need to detail what he wants (which will generally be aligned with, but slightly different from, the agenda of his faction), and how far he's willing to go to get it. And, for each character, generate at least one secret, and a threshold at which they can be bought. The secret doesn't need to be earth-shaking stuff (not all the ambassadors are going to secretly be evil cultists, but some might well have hidden bastards running around that they don't want revealed). And the thresholds at which they can be bought shouldn't necessarily be public, and neither should they all be absurdly high - if everyone's incorruptable then the court's going to be really dull.

Finally (as far as characters are concerned), add some 'wild cards'. These are characters who have a stake in the court, but no official place within it. This includes the courtesans and the crime lords, the spy masters, the drifters, and the desperate. Every wild card should be tied to at least one, and preferably two or more, factions in some way. (Added bonus - the wild cards can really be at odds with the factions they support. Perhaps that LG state religion has a wild-card assassin floating around, a dangerous fanatic who truly believes that he's doing his god's work by slaying those who vote against his purported 'master'.)

Now, draw up lots of diagrams showing the inter-relations between characters, factions, and so forth. Don't bother with minor relationships - that Lennier and Vir meet up daily to moan about their lot in life probably isn't worth noting, but if they swapped state secrets in their meetings then it definately would be.

Resist any temptation to label any character obviously 'good' or obviously 'evil'. Remember that G'Kar started off as a clear villain, and ended as one of the strongest allies of good; Londo started as comic relief and ended as anything but. A more pragmatic view of morality, even amongst the agents of a LG church, will serve you better here.

Now, why am I advocating all this work? What's the point? Well...

The conference will be the background event that brings the group together. I'm looking for a nice, low level, intrigue at court scenario in which the players get to foil a plot (espionage, murder, theft, whatever), preferably from an unknown exterior power.

Having a detailed court should generate loads of intrigue all by itself, and will set you up with an entire campaign's worth of adventures.

For a concrete plot hook, how about the following:

A famine has hit the outlying regions of the kingdom. The people simply cannot afford to buy food due to the taxes they have paid. Therefore, the Outer Regions faction put forward a motion requesting that taxes be waived this year, to allow grain to be bought. However, the dominant religion in this region is the worship of Pelor. The church of St Cuthbert, the state religion, have made it known that they will support this motion only if the OR convert half of their churches to the worship of StC, or else they will oppose it. The OR faction, naturally, won't accede to this.

So, power devolves to the minor factions and, notably, the vote of ambassador Timon. Unfortunately, that's where things get messy.

The Neighbouring Nation wants the kingdom weak and divided, and especially the outer regions. Ideally, they want the motion defeated, so they can sell grain to the OR at a reduced cost, and later annex them, saving them from the 'tyranny' of the church of StC. But they know that Timon is a moral man - he will vote for the motion unless swayed.

By Timon has a mistress he loves very much. And she has an unfortunate addiction to a Drug of Choice. And there are three DoC dealers around the court, two of whom are in the pocket of the NN. Alas, the third just got killed by that assassin working for StC...

The plot hook comes when the PCs (who, for the sake of example, are pro-OR) discover that Timon is intending to vote against the motion. The ambassador is clearly ill-at-ease about this, but won't say why. However, a short investigation turns up odd and desperate behaviour on the part of the mistress, and the game's afoot...

The PCs should then follow the trail back, finding out about the addiction, the murder of the dealer (and, possibly, back to the church of StC - a red herring in this case), and to the two 'bought' dealers. The money with which the dealers were paid, of course, was from the treasury of NN, providing your 'hint' (although, if that's not obvious enough, have a masked agent be seen slipping away when the PCs raid the place).

The goal would be to: 1. introduce the players, 2. give them an opportunity to distinguish themselves (so that the conference reward them by entrusting them an important task), 3. introduce some hints about an external power plotting against their country.

Hmm. The example I've given sets you up with 1 & 3. #2 is a problem, since this would all be handled very quietly. However, they've clearly been of great use to Timon and the OR, so perhaps they would recommend them for this task?

Anyway, does any of that help?

Eben

First Post
Thanks, mate!

Part one of your post has pretty much been adressed, but you've provided a good primer to which I'll refer when writing it all up (for the time being, I work from notes, prefering to see if I can make the plot fly before committing too much time to writing it up).

The drug link and the unlikely vote is a good idea to get the players from the setting into the plot. But I'll need to do some thinking about who is drugged. Right now I'v got 3 states and 1 minor vassas state: 1 a typical feudal state along the coast (bad coast: no good harbour sites and a lot of difficult to navigate sandbanks), 2 an inland nationd dominatad by religous factions (a bit of a Byzanting conglomerate of city states) and 3 a city run by wizards under the guidance of an "oracle".

The idea is that the union is fairly fresh and there is guite some struggle between the king, who wants to reïnforce his fledgling central rulership and the states, who want to retain as much of their autonomy as possible. At a yearly conference (general assembly) matters of state are being discussed and 3 young promissing talents from the different states act as "Marechals" to the procedings. (the players, as you'll have guessed).

So I'll need to go over the different issues I wanted to introduce, tally some votes to see who I'll have to get drugged, where and when to get the dealer killed, by which assisin and which trail to leave to lead to who.

Maybe I'll let the trail lead to the king, who'll have to grant the players some favours in order cover the whole mess up.

Thanks for the input!

Peter

Depending on how much you plan on having the court intrigue play a part in your campaign, you may want to get Penumbra's Dynasties and Demagogues, which has indepth rules for handing diplomancy as combat :)

As to the adventure, definately detail your countries as delericho suggests. As a good referece, check you the Eberron setting to see how a richly detailed world lends to intrigue.

Good luck with the game, it sounds like a great start!

an_idol_mind

Explorer
If you don't mind pdfs, I'd snag a copy of some of the old Birthright material. Legend of the Hero Kings particularly has a nice collection of court-based adventures that would probably be easy to adapt.

luke_twigger

First Post
Going back a few years, and away from d20 entirely, the Power Behind the Throne scenario for Warhammer Roleplay did a very good job of this kind of thing. It'd be worth a look if you saw a cheap secondhand copy.

Eben

First Post
Power Behind the Throne is a good idea. Problem with that one is that I want to start my players in the inner circle of the decision making proces. PBtT supposes that the players have to find out how and why a decision was made. (Correct me if I'm wrong: I don't own the book.)

Peter

justawhit

First Post
Delericho has made an excellent example!

If I may add my 2 pfennigs worth, how about the neighboring nation having a faction intrigue in another nation's affairs? This could be done in such a way as the NN's king and most of his supporters are unaware of what is going on across the border.

You add in a faction from another country with the support of that king to finance the NN faction's actions. If the characters discover the NN's faction undermining the delegation, the NN's king upon finding out may have to bluff his support and put him in an awkward position to the point of war.

This gives the king from AC the benefit of 2 other nations going to war where his country can pick up the pieces from weakened neighbors.

Eben

First Post
Nice idea, but that would change my plot outline I have so far a bit too much. I've decided on a top down approach. the setting will be fairly isolated. Which doesn't stop them from thinkink themselves the centre of the civilized world. The only outside nations are steppe barbarians in the northeast (possibly with some goblinoid barabarians to the southeast) and a race of primitive nomadic wood elves in the west.
There are "sea-barbarians" who come once in a while for trade purposes, but since the coastline is a delta without any decent locations for a good harbour, this kind of trade is not too evident.
In an attempt to increase this trade and his personal power, the king will propose the colonisation of an island close to the shore. This is his main goal he'll be pushing for (he can't finance the enterprise himself, but he does want the credit of course.) So I need an opportunity for the PC's to put themselves in the spotlight and reward them with the joint leadership (or co leadership under a royal bailiff, haven't decided yet) of the expedition. While on the island, the players will find out the other parties are interested in the island as well.

Peter

Remove ads