D&D 5E Looking for monsters to challenge a party of 6 level 17 characters

Oh, if something you left off your list (which I am about to slip in, because I'm nice like that) is the Star Spawn Emissary from VGR. Note that the lesser respawns as the greater so it is effectively mythic. I'm not sure what it's effective CR works out at but it's higher than listed.

Besides, 50 giant apes would have trouble fitting in a 30 ft. square room.

If you can get 4 into a Mini Cooper, and 11 in a Citroen 2CV, surely you can fit 50 into a 30 ft. square room.

This just makes for a very dull fight.
Not my experience, but everybody has a right to their own opinion. It's a common belief among many DMs that if the PCs don't suffer and get close to a TPK it's not a good fight. Funny thing is that at least my players disagree. They have lots of fun if they annihilate a group of monsters without a scratch on their side.

Anyway, I was able to play a large group of strong minions (not apes) strategically. It was entertaining.

aco175

Legend
I would make a tiered encounter with a single monster trapped in a crystal or something that explodes and the monster drops to the floor to fight. When he dies, the 4 smaller crystals in the next circle explode dropping 4 monsters. A 3rd and 4th circle containing 8 and 16 crystals are waiting. The players now need to slog it out or figure out how to stop the others from exploding. Each wave or monsters is like a new fight, but players do not get the chance to rest and big spells like fireball do not harm those inside the other crystals.

dave2008

Legend
Oh, if something you left off your list (which I am about to slip in, because I'm nice like that) is the Star Spawn Emissary from VGR. Note that the lesser respawns as the greater so it is effectively mythic. I'm not sure what it's effective CR works out at but it's higher than listed.
I just checked and by XP it is the equivalent to one CR 23 monster. Personally I think it would be a more challenging battle than a single CR 23 monster.

Quartz

Hero
I just gave it Legendary Action: Grow another Head

Isn't that a bit boring? For a high-power hydra that should be happening anyway. But if you've got one or more heads flying around they can bite, distract, grant flanking bonuses, etc. They change the battle. Anyway, let us know how it goes.

Isn't that a bit boring? For a high-power hydra that should be happening anyway. But if you've got one or more heads flying around they can bite, distract, grant flanking bonuses, etc. They change the battle. Anyway, let us know how it goes.
I expect it wouldn't otherwise be happening since the heads wouldn't normally regrow if it takes fire damage.

I nixed the "40 points fire damage" on the basis that would make the fight very not-fun for those players who can't do fire damage. Remember, we aren't talking about hardcore tactical genius players here.

Remove ads