• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

looking for other adventures

Baumi

Adventurer
Can anyone recommend non-"Caves of Chaos" Adventures that should work easily with D&D Next, are fun and can be finished in 3-4 hours?

We just want to play a one shot for which Caves of Chaos is simply to big, also I would love to have something with more interesting encounters (Caves of Chaos has to many boring tunnels and rooms).

Abstruse

Legend
You could always isolate one section of the caves from the rest, giving you a smaller sandbox to fit into a single session. I'm currently trying to convert Temple of Elemental Evil right now and I have to say that the system's not ready for it yet. There's a good variety of monsters, but there are a lot of big holes (how the hell do you not have spiders?!)

Your best bet would be to find a map online and make your own module. It can be as simple or as complex as you like, and it'd take a lot less work than trying to do a conversion with the limited monster selection we currently have.

soulcatcher78

First Post
I'm waiting for some higher levels and possibly a better look at monsters before trying to convert some tournament mods (A1 or even the moathouse section of T1). While niether would give a lot of RP options, they would make for pretty good combat themed one shots.

If you want to get a good try at exploration I'd suggest U1 for lower level play or I1 for mid level play (who doesn't love some Yuan-ti in a lost jungle city?).

Abstruse

Legend
I'm waiting for some higher levels and possibly a better look at monsters before trying to convert some tournament mods (A1 or even the moathouse section of T1). While niether would give a lot of RP options, they would make for pretty good combat themed one shots.

If you want to get a good try at exploration I'd suggest U1 for lower level play or I1 for mid level play (who doesn't love some Yuan-ti in a lost jungle city?).
I'm working on T1 right now and it's a pain in the ass. I've got a giant spider whose stats are just a reskinned bugbear because it fit the challenge and XP rewards most closely.

Abstruse

Legend
Have you decided what to do with the frogs *shudder*?
Stirges. Makes as much sense ecologically - at least in my interpretation, which is mosquitoes from hell...and considering I live in Southeast Texas, that translates to just "mosquitoes". About the same XP and I'm treated them as mosquitoes...if they drain enough blood, they fly off to lay eggs, which mean if the group leaves and comes back, the population is going to grow exponentially unless they wipe them out for good.

Stormonu

Legend
N2 - The Forest Oracle ought to be a hoot ;)

These all fit in the 1st-3rd range and I would put on my "good" list, but will need various degrees of conversion:

B1 - In Search of the Unknown
B3 - Palace of the Silver Princess
B4 - The Lost City

L1 - Secret of Bone Hill
L2 - Assassin's Knot

N1 - Cult of the Reptile God
N3 - Destiny of Kings
N4 - Treasure Hunt

RQ1 - Night of the Walking Dead (Ravenloft)

T1 - Village of Hommlett

U1 - Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
U2 - Danger at Dunwater

UK2 - Sentinel
UK3 - Gauntlet
UK5 - Eye of the Serpent

The Sunless Citadel

The easiest, I think, is as the others mentioned and isolate 1-2 caves of the Caves of Chaos. The conversions you may have to do for these other modules may skew results - and most of them are meant for 12-20 hours of play.

Baumi

Adventurer
Thanks for all the suggestions! 8D

But I don't think that I want to use old-school dungeons, since they usually have the same "problem" as Caves of Chaos .. that combat is usually to straight forward (no interesting terrain, included traps, etc.). 4E Dungeons should also play much faster under 5E, so they should be more manageable in a single session, but they are of course harder to convert.

jadrax

Adventurer
Can anyone recommend non-"Caves of Chaos" Adventures that should work easily with D&D Next, are fun and can be finished in 3-4 hours?

We just want to play a one shot for which Caves of Chaos is simply to big, also I would love to have something with more interesting encounters (Caves of Chaos has to many boring tunnels and rooms).

Because one player could not make it, I ran Kobold Hall from the 4th edition DMG for my first session for the other players to get a feel for the system.

However, there are substitutions that need to be made. I replaced the three Drakes with more Dragonshields, the Kobold Wyrmpriest with a Kobold Chieftain* and made the Dragon a Roleplaying challenge**.

*I think that is what he's called, the hard Kobold from the bestiary
**Well in theory, but they attacked it anyway.

Baumi

Adventurer
Kobold Hall is fun, but my players already played this. :p

By the way, have anyone tried to use a 3E Adventure without changes? I looked at a few 1st Level ones and it seems that the stats are close enough to run them as written...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads