Looking some party games...

Nytmare

David Jose
I'm assuming that I'm coming to this party a little late, but figured I'd chime in anyway.

That age range is difficult, and a lot of it really depends on how savvy those 8 year olds are. As Deset said Apples to Apples is probably the safest bet. If the kids are little bit more on the mature side of 8, they can probably handle Dixit, which might be more of a treat for the adults. I've played it with 8 and 9 year olds before, and I'd say that half the time they just didn't grok the subtlety needed and just got frustrated. All in all, I think that that'll be the biggest hurdle for the style of party games I tend to like.

Two Rooms and a Boom is one of my absolute favorite party games , but it involves (and this also goes for Mafia/Werewolf and The Resistance) a lot of deceitful, manipulative backstabbery, bald face lying which might leave a kid that age overwhelmed. Mafia or Werewolf can handle pretty much any number over 7, The Resistance is good for about 7-10, Two Rooms only starts getting good with 12 or more.

You had mentioned One Night Werewolf, which has less lying and more formalized logic, but I've never played it with that many people. Not sure if the game still sticks together well with that many people.

Spyfall is probably too much for kids to be able to handle up against a bunch of adults, but A Fake Artist Goes to NY might not be.

Dead Last might be good. As long as the parents don't have a problem with the more realistic and in your face "murdering people" subject matter.

I've never tried scaling Skull and Roses up to 10+ people, but you should be able to do it.

Deset's The Paper Game, also known in some circles as Broken Picture Telephone, and released commercially as Telestrations would probably work great.

[EDIT!]

Just thought of two I haven't suggested to anyone in a really long time, but what about Cosmic Wimpout or LCR?

Last edited:

Remove ads