Pathfinder 2E Looks like I will be running a PF2e game in a few weeks...suggestions?

That’s the point. Pathfinder 2e isn’t different from earlier editions of D&D in that regard. Old-school D&D has a reputation for being very deadly exactly because PCs are fragile and tougher creatures will destroy them. The game evolved the way it did because enough people wanted balanced arena fights, but that doesn’t mean the things you identify as a problem are a problem for a creative agenda that eschews arena fights.

This seems like a shift in the goalposts. So now not only combining encounters but also those with larger scares or varied terrain are problematic too? I think the idea of balance being offered has been distorted in a way that won’t resonate with those who do want balanced fights. I expect those who want balanced encounters assume they should win every fight (without having to engage in war tactics) rather than have them all be so tuned for optimal amounts of exertion from both them and the PCs in every case. 5e doesn’t even do that!

I feel like people talk about "sandboxing" like you should be able to handle problems that are tougher than you'd normally find in a curated experience, and that's totally not the case. It's the reverse: you find stuff that you can't handle, and you should deal with it in a non-combat way like using diplomacy, deception or simply beat feet. In this, PF2 is great for a group that desires mechanical engagement on that front. If you don't want that mechanical engagement, then it's not going to be for you. But it's worth noting that it's not about whether it works or not, but if it jives with your own stylistic sensibilities.

That worked in OD&D because OD&D characters had no skills. It was an empty space where you could plug in whatever approach you wanted. Doing that in a game like PF2 would be really weird because you’d have to set aside various aspects of the characters that should otherwise work in the exploration structure.

Yeah, PF2 is meant to specifically be a unified system. If you don't like that, then fine, but that's personal complaint rather than a systemic one.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
PF2 is great for a group that desires mechanical engagement on that front. If you don't want that mechanical engagement, then it's not going to be for you. But it's worth noting that it's not about whether it works or not, but if it jives with your own stylistic sensibilities.
PF2 has some tools (mostly different applications of the VP subsystem), but it’s a bit lacking on the GM-side of things. It’s easy to fix, even if it’s just by not having everything react automatically with murderous intent. Now training the PCs to do the same …. 😂

PF2 has some tools (mostly different applications of the VP subsystem), but it’s a bit lacking on the GM-side of things.

Sure. It's the skeleton that is valuable to me, anyways. Gives me something to play with and manages to solidly attach itself to the players and their characters, but can do with me being situationally loose with it when I feel like it. As I've said before, it basically does what I was already trying to do with 5E, but without me having to create it from whole cloth.

It’s easy to fix, even if it’s just by not having everything react automatically with murderous intent.

Exactly. A lot of the problem here is that GMs assume that if they have the advantage, monsters will simply kill off everything and everyone through attrition rather than backing off, taking what they got, and/or simply driving them off. While wounds might just be numbers for players, they shouldn't be for the characters and their enemies; things don't like being wounded and hurt.

For example, if you attack an animal that is much tougher than you and manage to wound it, it strikes back hard enough that it forces you to think twice and back off. However, it doesn't follow and in fact runs off itself; the animal isn't interested in a fight right now and would rather stay lightly wounded than continue a fight they might win but at cost. Or maybe it chases and aggressively howls at you, but doesn't attack because it's more interested in you getting out of its territory. These sorts of results are totally understandable and make animals who are specifically not like that (Owlbears come to mind) much more interesting and dangerous.

If you have an organized or an intelligent enemy, maybe they force the party to retreat but hold up to reorganize and deal with their own dead and wounded. They can certainly attempt to track down the players, but it's totally understandable to hold their own position and try to heal/recover who they can and bury who they can't. If they beat the party solidly, they can also always take hostages/prisoners depending on how they function. They might interrogate them, impress them into service, loot them, or maybe make an example of one of them. There are a lot of options, and none of them are system dependent: these are things that need to be done because if they aren't, any system can fail. And the second half of that...

Now training the PCs to do the same …. 😂

... is this. And I think it's not even that players will always attack everything, but the bigger problem is that no one ever wants to leave someone behind. It goes against so many cultural and storytelling instincts that it just feels bad, but it's something that needs to be an option. Too often a TPK happens because someone got into a bad/stupid/unlucky position and just gets got, and then the party descends into the depressing depths of the sunk-cost fallacy trying to save them.

Having a player or two die in a sandbox campaign should totally be something that happens, because it instills the right level of danger for a campaign where you can go anywhere. The problem is that everyone has a "One for all, all for one!" mentality when it comes to getting killed. People have problems retreating when someone gets left behind, and that's a system-less problem. Everyone needs to internalize the classic Neil McCauley quote:

358423244-tumblr_mmf8pqmKeG1r8e98zo1_500.gif

Retreater

Legend
That worked in OD&D because OD&D characters had no skills. It was an empty space where you could plug in whatever approach you wanted. Doing that in a game like PF2 would be really weird because you’d have to set aside various aspects of the characters that should otherwise work in the exploration structure.
I guess it could be weird. I just find the exploration structure of PF2 lacking. I know that Paizo published a stronghold subsystem in book 1 of Age of Ashes and hexcrawling in book 2 of the same AP. And Kingmaker in PF1 had a fairly robust system of kingdom building and resource collecting.
I think porting something over like the hexcrawl mechanics of Forbidden Lands and using another combat system - such as the one from PF2 (because I'm not partial to the FL combat mechanics) - could be awesome. But YMMV.
I haven't come across any characters who are substantially tooled for exploration activities at the expense of effectiveness in combat in PF2, but you may have a broader experience with the system. What I have seen is terribly ineffective and bad mechanics in PF2's exploration activities (such as "follow the leader" - which is make a group check using the lowest modifier of anyone in the party - which is the exact opposite of how that should function.) Terrible rule.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
Exactly. A lot of the problem here is that GMs assume that if they have the advantage, monsters will simply kill off everything and everyone through attrition rather than backing off, taking what they got, and/or simply driving them off. While wounds might just be numbers for players, they shouldn't be for the characters and their enemies; things don't like being wounded and hurt.

For example, if you attack an animal that is much tougher than you and manage to wound it, it strikes back hard enough that it forces you to think twice and back off. However, it doesn't follow and in fact runs off itself; the animal isn't interested in a fight right now and would rather stay lightly wounded than continue a fight they might win but at cost. Or maybe it chases and aggressively howls at you, but doesn't attack because it's more interested in you getting out of its territory. These sorts of results are totally understandable and make animals who are specifically not like that (Owlbears come to mind) much more interesting and dangerous.

If you have an organized or an intelligent enemy, maybe they force the party to retreat but hold up to reorganize and deal with their own dead and wounded. They can certainly attempt to track down the players, but it's totally understandable to hold their own position and try to heal/recover who they can and bury who they can't. If they beat the party solidly, they can also always take hostages/prisoners depending on how they function. They might interrogate them, impress them into service, loot them, or maybe make an example of one of them. There are a lot of options, and none of them are system dependent: these are things that need to be done because if they aren't, any system can fail. And the second half of that...
I was thinking before the combat even begins. The PCs overhear that the guards are having a bad day, and instead of upgrading it to being murdered, they give the guards some coin or drugs or whatever to go have some fun (provided that the guards forget this ever happened). It can also go the other way. The guard could ask the PCs for something to avoid having to fight or even try to recruit them. There’s a lot of ways things can go just starting from the initial encounter. (Otherwise, I agree once things get going. Not everything is going to run the PCs down until they die tired.)

... is this. And I think it's not even that players will always attack everything, but the bigger problem is that no one ever wants to leave someone behind. It goes against so many cultural and storytelling instincts that it just feels bad, but it's something that needs to be an option. Too often a TPK happens because someone got into a bad/stupid/unlucky position and just gets got, and then the party descends into the depressing depths of the sunk-cost fallacy trying to save them.

Having a player or two die in a sandbox campaign should totally be something that happens, because it instills the right level of danger for a campaign where you can go anywhere. The problem is that everyone has a "One for all, all for one!" mentality when it comes to getting killed. People have problems retreating when someone gets left behind, and that's a system-less problem. Everyone needs to internalize the classic Neil McCauley quote:

358423244-tumblr_mmf8pqmKeG1r8e98zo1_500.gif
It could also be failing to think strategically. It may be possible that the party “wins” at the cost of losing several or most members. Does that help them accomplish their goal? It doesn’t help that the death safety net makes it harder to realize that you’re in trouble.

If someone goes down and hasn’t hit dying 4 yet, you can still heal them and get the back up. I’d expect most parties to try to rescue that person. Maybe once someone really does die, it’s time for the GM to stop and find out the PCs’ intentions. It may be the players are so focused on the tactical game that they’ve lost sight of what they’d actually want to do in that situation. I had to do that in the ghoul rout when I ran OSE.

My players are starting to learn though. When they ran into some coffer corpses and couldn’t hurt them, they opted to retreat. I didn’t even have to suggest it! 😄

kenada

Legend
Supporter
I guess it could be weird. I just find the exploration structure of PF2 lacking. I know that Paizo published a stronghold subsystem in book 1 of Age of Ashes and hexcrawling in book 2 of the same AP. And Kingmaker in PF1 had a fairly robust system of kingdom building and resource collecting.
I think porting something over like the hexcrawl mechanics of Forbidden Lands and using another combat system - such as the one from PF2 (because I'm not partial to the FL combat mechanics) - could be awesome. But YMMV.
I haven't come across any characters who are substantially tooled for exploration activities at the expense of effectiveness in combat in PF2, but you may have a broader experience with the system. What I have seen is terribly ineffective and bad mechanics in PF2's exploration activities (such as "follow the leader" - which is make a group check using the lowest modifier of anyone in the party - which is the exact opposite of how that should function.) Terrible rule.
The way your original post read sounded like you were suggesting playing a completely different game for exploration. As long as it builds on core mechanics like using skill checks, then I think it’s fine. I didn’t use hexploration or the procedure described in Age of Ashes when we were doing PF2. I used something that was a simplified variant of the Alexandrian’s hexcrawl procedure.

To put it another way, I wanted to use Gavin Norman’s Dolmenwood hexcrawl procedure in PF2, I’d replace the x-in-6 stuff with appropriate Survival skill checks and modifiers. I’d treat Gavin’s list of actions as new hexcrawl activities and ignore the ones the system provides because they don’t work well at the hexcrawl scale.

I was thinking before the combat even begins. The PCs overhear that the guards are having a bad day, and instead of upgrading it to being murdered, they give the guards some coin or drugs or whatever to go have some fun (provided that the guards forget this ever happened). It can also go the other way. The guard could ask the PCs for something to avoid having to fight or even try to recruit them. There’s a lot of ways things can go just starting from the initial encounter. (Otherwise, I agree once things get going. Not everything is going to run the PCs down until they die tired.)

You can even go further than that: if you are going to be, say, exploring an area, it's worthwhile to research what could potentially be in that area. You can talk to local officials who might warn of places that might have been bandit strongholds or had recent raids, talk to the local ranger/guide to see what sort of wildlife you might encounter... if you have players who are interested in a bit of preparation, you can do some really cool set-up stuff.

For example, you're going to go to the Screeching Woods. Well, why is it called the Screeching Woods? Through local knowledge or just asking around, you find out that it's an area with a particular breed of Screeching Owlbear. So without even setting foot in the area, you should know to be careful since Owlbears typically fight to the death. Suddenly you might want to invest in some sort of distraction or tactic that might allow you to bail out on a fight if it happens because the creature won't do it on its own.

And once they enter? Well, they can find trees that have been rubbed up against with feathers lodged in them, they can occasionally hear the sounds, etc... you can give them opportunities to be on-guard, though there's always the risk that something bad can happen. And if they're too low of level... well, you entered the place. You either knew the risk or you didn't do the research.

It could also be failing to think strategically. It may be possible that the party “wins” at the cost of losing several or most members. Does that help them accomplish their goal? It doesn’t help that the death safety net makes it harder to realize that you’re in trouble.

If someone goes down and hasn’t hit dying 4 yet, you can still heal them and get the back up. I’d expect most parties to try to rescue that person. Maybe once someone really does die, it’s time for the GM to stop and find out the PCs’ intentions. It may be the players are so focused on the tactical game that they’ve lost sight of what they’d actually want to do in that situation. I had to do that in the ghoul rout when I ran OSE.

Sure. Thinking strategically instead of emotionally can be difficult, especially when it comes to leaving another player to potentially die. If I have one lucky thing, it's that my players have long joked about "the pirate code", so "any man who falls behind gets left behind" is something they can internalize. ;)

My players are starting to learn though. When they ran into some coffer corpses and couldn’t hurt them, they opted to retreat. I didn’t even have to suggest it! 😄

giphy.gif

kenada

Legend
Supporter
For example, you're going to go to the Screeching Woods. Well, why is it called the Screeching Woods? Through local knowledge or just asking around, you find out that it's an area with a particular breed of Screeching Owlbear. So without even setting foot in the area, you should know to be careful since Owlbears typically fight to the death. Suddenly you might want to invest in some sort of distraction or tactic that might allow you to bail out on a fight if it happens because the creature won't do it on its own.
You’d think so anyway, but I should probably return that thumbs up on behalf of my players. 🙃

Alas, my players still have some learning to do. While they were in town last session, they sought out a researcher they’d met before to ask him about some of the things they’d found. One of the topics was about creatures they’d encountered (dark creepers). He told them about how they liked to acquire treasure, and oh yeah, they explode when they die. My players responded with o rly faces, so ….

So what happens when they get into a fight with them? The barbarian wades into the middle and uses her whirlwind attack to cleave them all down. She kills three creepers and finishes off the stalker she was fighting. The creepers blind her and the priest, and the stalker explodes and kills the barbarian.

Fortunately for the barbarian, WWN is not as harsh as OSE, so she was only Mortally Wounded, and the priest was able to find and heal her before her time ran out. Of course, while that was happening, the thief kills the one upstairs with him and blinds himself. 😲

!DWolf

Adventurer
What I have seen is terribly ineffective and bad mechanics in PF2's exploration activities (such as "follow the leader" - which is make a group check using the lowest modifier of anyone in the party - which is the exact opposite of how that should function.) Terrible rule.

Good news, that is not how Follow the Expert works:

Follow the Expert said:
Choose an ally attempting a recurring skill check while exploring, such as climbing, or performing a different exploration tactic that requires a skill check (like Avoiding Notice). The ally must be at least an expert in that skill and must be willing to provide assistance. While Following the Expert, you match their tactic or attempt similar skill checks. Thanks to your ally’s assistance, you can add your level as a proficiency bonus to the associated skill check, even if you’re untrained. Additionally, you gain a circumstance bonus to your skill check based on your ally’s proficiency (+2 for expert, +3 for master, and +4 for legendary).

You may be conflating it with the Quiet Allies skill feat which is used in combination with the Follow the Expert rule to prevent situations like this.

Retreater

Legend
Good news, that is not how Follow the Expert works:
It does function a little better, but should've been streamlined into less text to make it easier to remember, easier to apply. Like a simple "use the modifier from your expert's skill check." It's not going to have the exact same results, but for simplicity's sake, I saved 98 words.

You may be conflating it with the Quiet Allies skill feat which is used in combination with the Follow the Expert rule to prevent situations like this.
I am, apparently. Which is exactly the terrible rule I was trying to remember.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases