• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looting Bodies

mvincent

Explorer
frankthedm said:
If one has players that disrespectful, there are other issues to be addresed.
Not necessarily, and not in Infiniti2000's stated example, where the assumption was that it was the DM's attitude that caused the behavior. The example seemed reasonable.

Ceska

First Post
Dracorat said:
That's all and well, but what would your response be if one of them said "We didn't get loot for that last battle. What was it?"

IMC, I usually just give them the list, they modify their sheets and we move on.

Well, thats different style of play I think. For me, it would be a sign that something is going terribly wrong when a player would say "we didn´t get...".
If they would say "Damn, we forgot about looting" they have the options to return and get it or they don´t, ´cause they can´t (for some reason). They don´t automatically get it, since going back could be an adventure/encounter for itself. When a lot of time has passed it although might be that the loot or part of it is gone (depending on the circumstances). Thats not to make fun about the players.

Dracorat

First Post
Sounds underhanded and fishy to me, but to each their own I guess.

Now, if bucoups of time have gone by (they have pitched a tent for the day and remember that the first encounter was unlooted) then I might have a different attitude. But not an encounter or two out.

But then, even if boucoups of time have gone by, I still might not have an issue with it.

The only time I legitimately would have an issue is if for some in-game reason, they were pressed for time (like the room is filling with water) and in their hurry to get out, they left them behind. Or something similar.

Then, it would be a case of "too bad, so sad". Because there was a legitimate ingame reason the bodies would not have been looted as per S.O.P.

Ceska

First Post
Ingame reasons is good and exactly what I mean. I do not refuse a loot when its just in another room. But, and I think that´s were we part, is, they must invest ingame time and, when necessary, ressources to get it. And they must (of course) remember that they missed something.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Ask for Standard Operating Procedures

Krel said:
I was DMing a session a while back when my 15th level PCs killed off a group of evil warriors. Unfortunately, they left without looting the bodies of the dead. When they realized they forgot and asked how much gp was left behind, I said over 100,000. They argued that they would have naturally looted the bodies, but I ruled that if they didn't say that they looted the bodies, they left it all behind.

Was I being unfair? What would you have done?

Need more info. Do you normally require your players to explicitly say "We loot the bodies"? Or do you usually put treasure into the post-combat wrapup?

Did the players seem to be in a hurry to move on? Was it "Okay, they're dead--let's get out of here!" or was it "Okay, they're dead. Let's camp and rest."

One option is to give the PCs the obvious treasure, but JUST the obvious treasure. If the players spaced, then assume the characters did as well. Anything glowing would be assumed to have been taken. I mean, that's a gimme. Any big bulging coin purses could be assumed to have been taken. Spellbooks, scrolls, and potions out in the open (not hidden in bags or whatnot) can be assumed claimed. But mundane-looking weapons, armor, cloaks, bags, and their contents... I can see ruling that some of that was left behind.

Me, I'd go with whatever the party considers Standard Operating Procedure. Which is why when I DM, I ask the players to literally write out Standard Operating Procedures. It takes about 15 minutes, but once you get it all down then you've got it forever--and in the long run, it saves a LOT of time that would otherwise be spent bickering/arguing/retconning.

I ask for:

1. Marching order in wilderness
2. Marching order in dungeons
3. Marching order in cities
4. Resting in wilderness
5. Resting in dungeons
6. Resting in cities (do they get rooms? what kind of place? do they ask for top floor/ground floor? do they trap the door and windows, and with what? do they share rooms? do they eat the local food and drink or eat from their own rations?)
7. Dealing with doors in dungeons
8. Looting the dead

For all of the above, I don't allow them to say that they "take 20", but they can say that they're "taking 10". That's what Take 10 is for: routine tasks. If they want the extra attention to detail of a take 20, or if they want to spend more than a single round/single skill check, then they have to call it out during play or it doesn't happen.

And for marching and resting, I ask them exactly what buffs they "normally" cast, and when. Same goes for normal prep times for spells. Resting includes camp layout, location of horses, and watch schedules.

Obviously they can alter their SOPs at any time, by simply stating that they are doing so. But by asking for SOPs, I avoid the whole situation of my asking "okay, what's your marching order" and having everyone being extra paranoid, claiming that "of course I'd have this buff up" when really they probably wouldn't, etc.

It also keeps play from draaaaaaaaagging in dungeons. If every. Single. Door. Involves the rogue pc having to go through the whole litany of spot, listen, search the square in front of the door, search the door, open the lock.... well, that gets real boring real fast. Much better to ask the PC if he's fine taking 10, and going with that.*

-z

* One thing to keep in mind is that you don't use the SOPs to run the characters. If the PCs are exploring and come upon a door, wait for them to say "Dougal goes up and searches the door". With that one phrase, you can move the rogue up and compare his Search, Spot, and Listen against any traps or monsters. Quick, but with the PCs still driving the boat. Don't just say "Okay, you move forward and come upon a door. Dougal goes up. He searches, finds nothing, and opens the door. Oh noes! There's a monster on the other side and it attacks. Take 5 damage." ;)

The idea is convenience, not autopilot.

Cedric

First Post
I guess I'm a bit lenient on this one. I would have reminded them. Because while the players may forget this detail in the excitement...

The characters NEVER would have forgotten to loot the enemy. Especially not an enemy that appeared to be well equipped.

As a house rule, established many aeons ago in the days of 1E AD&D, we have assumed the rule of "Standard Operating Procedure." We had one too many disagreements about this EXACT subject. It is stupid to assume that characters will not do what is reasonable and prudent just because the PLAYERS have had the misfortune to be fallible, and not faithfully repeat the same anal retentive set of tedious instructions EVERY time. Characters are ASSUMED to loot bodies and search rooms rather than assumed NOT to do so unless vocally specified by players. Characters are assumed to buy basic provisions for journeys and even basic combat supplies such as arrows. Just because a player has forgotten or failed to realize that his character is down to his last 6 arrows doesn't meant the CHARACTER would be stupid enough to set out on an extended wilderness adventure without stocking up first.

For this to work the DM is required to be reasonable in adjudicating situations where a player wishes to claim that even though HE forgot something his character would NOT have. Players are also required to be reasonable in accepting that sometimes it IS necessary to sate things clearly and specifically, even if it might be sensible to just ASSUME things. We do not play D&D for the thrill of the DM shouting, "Gotcha! You lose because you didnt actually SAY you were going to loot the body/search the room/set a watch." Our interest and enjoyment of D&D does not derive from practicing our faithfulness to what is readily acknowledged to be trivial attention to verbal recitation of procedure. There are much better and far more satisfying ways for a DM to catch the players napping or put the screws to them. "You didn't say the magic words," has always smacked to me of a certain petty vindictiveness; a DM vs. the Players mentality that I despise.

YMMV. And I mean that sincerely. If that is how you wish to run/play the game, don't let me stop you. Just don't expect too many others to play along.

As for the OP: if you're going to be a stickler about such things just be sure that you're consistent in applying it. Also be prepared to have it thrown in your face by frustrated, annoyed players. As others have said it was a mistake to actually TELL them what they missed out on. What the PC's (and players!) don't know won't hurt them. When you give them that kind of meta-game information you need to have a good reason for doing so. More than just idle curiosity of the players. The proper response would have been, "You will never, EVER know what you missed out on short of divination magic," or even better, "Unless everyone fails an intelligence check of (reasonable DC) you'll eventually realize what you've forgotten and go back to do what is VERY unlikely your characters would actually forget to do, even if you the players did."

Krel

First Post
Zaruthustran said:
Need more info.

Well, the thing is, the PCS encountered the evil NPCS on a well-traveled road frequently used by commoners, merchants, and such. It was about 5-hours later while they were in the town inn that they realized that they forgot. So I assumed that the stuff wouldn't still be lying there...I admit it was a mistake to tell them...they normally say that they are going to loot the bodies. I'm just not sure if it is something that you can consider automatic. Maybe it is, and I should add a little more in the next encounter. What do you think?

FYI: They do have a "standard operating procedure"...party order, buff spells, and such...lootting the bodies just wasn't included beforehand...it will be now though! :)

Greylock

First Post
In my current group, made up of veterans and newbies, we get caught up in the story. One player in particular always makesa point of looting bodies, and as soon as she starts my character joins in, mainly to keep her char from snatching (and keeping) every single useful thing. Which her char will do if left alone with a corpse.

Couple of sessions back, her char was unconcious when a battle ended, and no one remembered to loot (being a good player, the unconcious char didn't nudge the others). We were used to the player of the unconcious char bringing it up every time. It was our SOP.

The DM didn't retro it when we remembered finally. But he let us trudge our chars many miles back the next day to get a partial return on our efforts. The body had been gone over by then, but the return trip was still worthwhile. And it hopefully taught us other players a lesson.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads