Lord of the Iron Fortress

StealthyMark

First Post
Really nice summary :)
Oh yeah, and it has no reach.
A Large creature is supposed to have reach! No reach, no fun!

If two or three (EL 15) of these beasties catch an average party unprepared, they'll rip and Roar them to pieces! Tactics: Launch devastating sonic attack (3x12d6, avg. 126 dmg). This should either help overload Protection from Elements (sonic) or take out half of the party. Stay away, wait 1d4 rounds to roar again. Meanwhile ready sundering bite attacks against charging opponents. Or rip the weakest non-flying adventurer to pieces. Flee, if all foes are still protected against sonic damage or all have +5 weapons.

If your party is above average, simply add the half dragon (black or green) template. If you feel really evil, add the fiendish template.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Let's analyze them thoroughly, shall we? (geez, just one line of british impersonation and I'm annoying myself already!)

That's not british impersonation!

Anyone who knew real English would know that it's "analyse"... :)

-Hyp.

Marion Poliquin

First Post
Carnifex said:
Whoa, those boys sound vicious.

I may have to pick up this LotIF adventure... how much does it cost?

$9.95 US. Same price than all the other ones in the "we'll take you from level 1 to 20" series but 16 pages longer ! :eek:

kryhavoc

First Post
I ran my group through the first part of the adventure last night and they had a tough time with the Steel Predators. I did not use the sundering bite because in the magic sense description, it senses metallic magic items. Sunder can only be done to weapons or shields. The wizard and cleric stay behind and cast spells, the paladin and rogue use a +5 holy avenger spear and longbow respectively. So the issue never really came up. The steel predator is a tough fight when ran right! The coolest part is only one character has a +5 weapon. With DR 20/+4, they had a tough time fighting this critter.

I have another question. The axiomatic rocs have a special attack called Snatch. One part of this ability is a roc can fling aside a snatched character as a standard action. The character travels 90 feet and takes 9d6 points of damage. It does not state that the character is thrown to the ground. Is this correct or is this due to the character impacting the ground? Will Feather Fall (on a ring) negate this fling in any case. I am of the opinion that it is the violence of the fling that does the damage as opposed to impacting some solid surface.

daTim

First Post
I think the fling damage comes from the impact actually, 90 feet to 9d6 seems to fit nicely, d6 for every 10 feet, just like falling. Though the person does not have to be tossed down or up, they could be flung and hit some trees or rocks, flung into a lake (while wearing full plate, sounds nasty)

Yummysnake

First Post
The cleric in my player's party cast Blade Shield over the party to protect them from the Roc's snatch attack. After sustaining massive damage from the blades, one Roc managed to grab the party's Ultimate Archer and took to the sky. I was planning to have the Roc fling the hapless fighter down (9d6 fling damage, 80 ft. falling damage) into the blade barrior (average dam. was like 50 points) but the cleric got wise and dismissed the spell. They managed to kill the bird in flight, which brought us up to another question: does the Roc fall out of the sky the moment it drops below 0 hit points? What happens to the fighter in its clutches? Does the bird maintain a death grip and crush him on impact, or can he automatically get free? We finally just had the fighter take the falling damage.

Remove ads